Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #1

Negotiating Used TH Purchase Price

I believe I've read in here that one could expect to buy new at somewhere around 35% off MSRP. Are there any rules of thumb as to what you could expect to pay for used? Elsewhere in here I've read that you should expect 10%/year depreciation on a new RV. So, how does this sound - say you're looking at a 3 year old model. The price could be calculated as 35% off the MSRP for the latest model, then reduce by 10% for each of three years. $100k new model MSRP would yield approx. $47k price for the 3 year old model. Thoughts?
Chatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatley View Post
I believe I've read in here that one could expect to buy new at somewhere around 35% off MSRP. Are there any rules of thumb as to what you could expect to pay for used? Elsewhere in here I've read that you should expect 10%/year depreciation on a new RV. So, how does this sound - say you're looking at a 3 year old model. The price could be calculated as 35% off the MSRP for the latest model, then reduce by 10% for each of three years. $100k new model MSRP would yield approx. $47k price for the 3 year old model. Thoughts?

I'm trying to figure out the same but also trying to sell my current toy hauler so of course I want to pay the least and sell mine for the highest value. But, here's my goal on buying a used one and what I paid for my current Fuzion. I want to pay a little above wholesale or trade in value, problem is finding out exactly what wholesale value is. I had a local RV dealer that didn't sell what I was interested in and they gave me the wholesale value for the unit I was trying to buy. They told me if I brought the unit in and sold it straight out to them this is what they would offer, obviously this is a very low price. This price was pretty much what the owner had been offered if they had just sold it to their dealer straight out. They obviously wanted the most they could get so I wound up paying them a couple grand more than they had been offered by the local dealers which was a very low price considering the dealer was taking their unit straight in with no trade for a new one. The dealer probably would have sold it for a ten grand profit and they knew that so they still came out a little ahead but they were not happy with their price. They owed ten grand more than I paid which is very common I think in the RV industry and the reason I want to buy used and only at a great price. I want to be able to sell it if needed and not be in the hole thousands of dollars.

While I have not been offered a definite price for my 2011 Fuzion 322TE, it seems that around ten thousand below NADA low retail is what the dealers want to offer on trade in. That also was about what my previous Fuzion owner was offered. I am definitely not an expert on this but this seems to be close from my limited experience. So, in my search for a used unit I intend on subtracting ten grand from low retail and then going up from there some. It may not work but it worked before and the Fuzion was like brand new, stored inside. Guess it depends on how desperate the seller is and how willing to travel the buyer is. I'm willing to buy anywhere in the USA for the right price.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase