Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2007, 07:25 AM   #43

Rob, where you when we all figured this 3 stage charge stuff out? Like Sean said IOTA should have this built in. I guess they figured if they make it a separate add on they can gouge us for $25 dollars more. It's a no brainer to add this thing. Most of us did it shortly after we picked up the trailer. I thought you were in on it about a 1.5 years ago!

Don

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2007, 02:48 PM   #44

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
Call John Drake @ Solar Seller- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So do i just call down there and ask for John Drake and He'll give me the best price and shipping?

Melon wrote: Spooner, are they used or is free the new battery price. I may drive out to Vegas and pick myself up some free baterries if that is the cse.
Well Melon they are slightly used. and i can't get any more for a few weeks.thats if we have any more avalible. got the two 6v's in the back of my truck right now. ok where is the best place to get another battery box at? the cheaper the better..
Old 02-09-2007, 07:24 PM   #45

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spooner:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
Call John Drake @ Solar Seller- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So do i just call down there and ask for John Drake and He'll give me the best price and shipping? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John Drake IS Solar Seller...a one man band. And if you're not careful, he'll burn your ears off.
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #46

I will second what Sean said. It took about 20 minutes to order a $25 part, but ask me anything you want to know about it and I can tell you.

And Donno, are you picking on me? Yeah I have been under a rock the past few months. And don't think I didn't notice how you spelled my name.

Spooner, if the price was right I would make the trip up there, since the company pays for my fuel it would be worth it, but Vegas, she's a dangerous place for a guy like me. As far as battery boxes, I don't know about you but I like 56Nomads set up in the plastic storage box. I think you need some air holes, but other than that it is a really clean set up.

Rod (O===O)

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:38 AM   #47

HeHeHe, Rod I'm not messing with you
(Disclaimer.....Sean has warned just about everybody about my speed typing for dummies spelling technique) you have been warned!
We need to get together camping again. How is fab Deb and the little one? Sammy?

Sorry bob.....I mean rod!

Don

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #48

Boy,

All we need is Mikey back on here and the whole old gang is back!!! Hey boys, how is everyone???
As for batteries, the Alfa came with 2 12V's (power the coach) and space for 2 additional ones which I installed and only run my inverters off of. I installed an isolator which allows all to charge, but seperates their usage. Next big thing will be solar.
I'd love to meet up with you guys somewhere, although Robin's not hip on a sand event, doesn't want sand in her condo!!!

Take care all,

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #49

Clark: no doubt...and good 'ol Slash Bob's back also!! Is the karma going good or WHAT?!?!?!

Our next big thing is gonna be the Converter upgrade that Senoir Donno did PLUS the ATS addition...the genset outlet has already disintegrated (coming apart) and it's time to do something different. You know...the less ya gotta do to traverse between camping and parking the easier it is to do the camping part.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #50

Sean,

Have you looked into solar at all? I know the Alfa is wired for it, I just need to get edumacated on it. I just basically want a system that will keep me charged without having to generate too much. Any knowledge that you can pass this way would be greatly appreciated.

BTW,how was your last Rainbow trip? We had a blast in Quartzsite, got a few fun toys (Pit 2 Go)...

Clark

Old 02-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #51

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I am revamping my CC with a dual battery setup, a deepcycle that will run everything except the starting, and then am Optima Blue for just the starter.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0...er___deep_cycle.html

The Optima ran $200 but it comes with a promise that I won't get stranded again.

alright ... alright ... running only one battery AND it was a deepcycle for both my starter and my electonics wasn't real smart, but thats how the boat came and I wasn't smart enough to realize that sometimes salemen aren't real honest with their answers
".. everyone just runs a deepcycle for their starter Mike ..."

So I am switching the starter electronics over to another battery switch and wiring the alt so it charges both new batteries.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #52

Clark:

Actually, I haven't got on that bandwagon yet- just why: I have no clue. It seems like quite te gadget, but I guess I don't know enough about it to really get into it.

FD: what kinda gennny you got in the CC- a 4000 or a 5500 Onan?! The salesman shudda told you.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #53

Sean,
I believe to power your rig, your whole roof would have to be solar boards....

If you come across a good solar site somewhere, will you send me a link?

Clark

Old 02-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #54

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.... FD: what kinda gennny you got in the CC- a 4000 or a 5500 Onan?! Razz The salesman shudda told you. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yea yea rub it in ... but i see people buying those little gadgets from Sears (or whereever) that hold a one time burst of START, so if your battery dies while 10 miles offshore, you don't have to swim back.
I figured I'm too stoopid to remember to keep it freshly charged, it probably loses its burst after a few months, so I'm tossing a second battery in,
and anyway those gennies are just for big softies anyhow, we manly guys still rub sticks together to start a fire as we drink our champagne out there on the seas

although I did buy a Honda 2000 so i could run a bunch of lights in the Christmas Parade of Lights, but we ended up hanging out in the local cantina instead and we didn't even end up needing to use the 2000 there,

just so this post has a resemblance of pertinence ... the Honda 2000eu come with DC charging cables in case a battery dies while 'out in the field'.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #55

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">just so this post has a resemblance of pertinence ... the Honda 2000eu come with DC charging cables in case a battery dies while 'out in the field'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh geeezzz Mikey...we've got over the thread piracy thing long ago- as long as any verbage has some type of human/animal touch, we'll allow it.

Boy...you can't beat the eu2000i- great little unit. I'm trying to get my buddy that owns the Honda shop to donate one to me for posterity's sake. Let's just say I'm fighting an uphill battle- there's a reason why we've called him Rabbi Raley/Doctor of Dimes/Chaplain of Cheap for all these years. I finger I'll have to break down and buy one, but it sure will keep the hour meter from buzzing itself apart- I've already got over 500 hours on the 5500!! That music thing just keeps on ticking.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #56

You know Mike, to prevent that whole swimming thing you could keep a paddle on board.

Another question regarding battery set up here. Before one battery was designated to just the front jacks and the genset. Now I guess I could do the same thing here somehow, but would it kill me to run everything to one terminal and cut out the extra wiring?

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote