Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #1

New guy here

Anybody have anything bad to say about the DRV fullhouse Lx455?

I've lurked here for long enough to see what most of you like and dislike but rarely find any info on the DRV asset haulers.

Thanks Josh
BEER MOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 05:51 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Josh, the DRV's are VERY nice and would be high on my short list the next time around. I really like their boxed frame and Class A type plumbing. Not a fan of the residential only refer though. Their floorplans are a bit limited but it's a newish line so I'm sure there are more to come. I have two hangups that preclude their current lineup for working for me, but everyone's needs are different. First, I need a loft bunk for my daughter and unlike almost every other brand of 5th hauler out there, the Fullhouse doesn't have this on any of their plans. The second is they don't finish their garage like a living space instead doing high gloss white walls. While this may be a great setup if your racing and wrenching on dirtbikes etc., my toys are relatively clean and once I get to my campsite, they stay outside. At that point, I roll out the carpet and turn the garage into living space and the garage in a DRV isn't exactly where I'd want to spend any time.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #3

Thank you for the response! You make some great points that I didn't consider. I'm a bit of a noob in the world of toyhaulers. My wife and I always camped in extreme remote areas in a tent, but with the birth of our new daughter we will be changing things a bit. I look forward to hunting TH's for a few months till we find one that fits our needs.

I will say that we love the floor plan of the Cyclone 4250. I'm hesitant to get my hopes to high because of the reviews I've read. Are the new cyclones cheaply built?

Thank again everyone
BEER MOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Cyclone is the #1 selling 5th wheel hauler right now and due to very high volume their quality has gone down in the last 5 years. All the brands are built with the same components more or less and all will have some issues when new. What sets some apart from others is how your taken care of after the fact. This is why I have been so pleased with my XLR. Yes, it's had a few issues but both my dealer and XLR direct have been outstanding in getting everything taken care of. They are lower production only doing about 1/3rd of Cyclones #'s and also willing to do some off list options. They even painted mine to match my truck. I can't say enough good things about them and my buying experience at Jeff Couch's in OH. If you have any interest in the XLR line you can build and price on Couch's website and get your no haggle price. It's about 36% off MSRP which is pretty great for a custom ordered unit. My local dealer couldn't touch their price. (Was over $9500 more...) Anyways, if you have any specific questions about XLR or Couch's I'd be glad to try and help. I just went through this exercise last spring and it's all still fresh...

Oh, and you mentioned you had a daughter as well. This is why we upgraded to our current hauler from our last. To get a loft bed for our daughter. We wanted a real (not fold out couch etc.) sleeping area for her that wasn't in the garage. The drop down bed and dinette in the garage are fine but sometimes we will have our toys in the garage on a multi day trip to get to our destination. So, in that situation, she couldn't sleep back there. This is why I pointed it out as a drawback of the DRV. Anyways, she's three now and LOVES sleeping up there...
Old 12-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

I will absolutely look at the XLR. Thanks!!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
No problem. XLR's Thunderbolt lineup just got a few new mid-year floorplans so lots to choose from. I see you have an RZR in your sig line. Something that XLR just went to that not all the other lines have yet is the "max clearance" rear dinette in the Happijac drop down bed system. What this means is that the lower dinette seats/bed can go straight up just like the previous versions but to gain height they can also drop down against the walls instead. This way you can either have max width with them straight up or max height with them dropped down against the sidewalls. Many guys with SXS's or lifted golf carts will find this very helpful as the older systems have height limitations that don't work for them.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #7

That's a nice feature. I'm amazed how many custom trinkets these toy haulers have.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I know it. Trying to compare the standards and options lists between brands will send you cross eyed. Lots of reading to do for sure....
Old 12-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #9

We looked at Cyclones, Vengence, Fuzions and XLRs. We settled on the XLR 415 AMP. It seemed to have a little more storage space. From what we saw in our area the XLR was about $10k less than a cyclone too. We plan to full time in a few years but I think any little visitors will just love the loft when they visit.
Yes, much to consider for sure.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
New guy here

I've heard great things about XLR,s support and we are considering them.

As I mentioned in another post have a look at the:

http://www.weekendwarriortoyhauler.com/

http://www.kz-rv.com/products/venom-...loorplans.html

Not sure about you guys but I'm having a great time looking at all the new floor plans.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Absolutely it's fun. Even when your done shopping. We spent a week at Lazy Days campground and spent a good deal of time with our golf cart going through the 100+ acres of dealership. Toured every toyhauler because that's my main interest, but also toured many DP's, Super C's, as well as luxury 5th's. So many beautiful options out there.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #12

New guy here

We owned a Fuzion toy hauler and were very please with it but wanted something larger and a few upgrades such as auto leveling and a fireplace. We eliminated the new Fuzions due to the lack of being able to get the wood floor look. We quickly narrowed it down to the Momentum, XLR, and the Tesla. All three have their pluses and minuses and in my opinion look at all of their floor plans and then choose the one you like the best. We ended up buying the Momentum and are very happy with it so far. There are a couple of things I don't get with Grand Designs but overall I think we made the best decision. They didn't put the LED lighting in the rear awning,only the front, and they didn't put the piece (not sure what it's called) that keeps the entry door from accidentally opening on the rear door. Just had the rear entry door swing open coming back from a trip two days ago and a car beside us yelled at us that the door was open. I think my son didn't shut it all the way so it was our fault but our Fuzion had it on both doors. I can't remember what the standard is now with the other manufacturers but wish I had it and may install one.

The XLR's are beautiful toy haulers and have great customer service from what I've heard. Grand Designs seems to have great service also and will send some parts directly to the owner if needed. I called them twice before deciding on which toy hauler we were buying and got return phone calls both times. My local dealer sucks so being able to get parts directly was a top priority for me.

I highly suggest doing a very thorough PDI and staying in the unit a night or two at the dealer to make sure everything is working properly. I bought 800 miles away because I saved $12,000 over my local dealers price. I figured for $12,000 I can get parts sent directly to me and pay a mobile tech if needed. Grand Designs will also authorize other techs to do warranty work if needed, at least that's what several owners have stated on their forum.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote