Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #1

New style toyhauler, not for everyone

so i had been searching new toyhauler models for some time. i was looking at very specific options on the fifthwheel toyhaulers. 1st and foremost was ccc!! 2nd was uvw weight, 3rd overall height and 4th was axle upgrade options. now most and i mean most manufacturers do not offer axle upgrades. i believe this is because they used a lesser quality frame and they are maxing it out with advertised gvwr. this explains why the triple 7k lb axle 40' fivers i looked at had gvwr's of 19k to 20k rather than 21k.

i began looking at west coast built units as that is where the majority are built for offroaders by offroaders. eclipse offers some very nice units under 3 diff names. genesis supreme as well as pacific coach works. sand storm by forest river has a west coast facility and they actually make a stronger unit in that plant than it's counter part in indiana. makes sense as they are competing with the other 3.

i did not check pacific coachworks but eclipse and genesis offer axle upgrades to add ccc.

so for the here and now i decided to go a different route with a new design and new model. not sure how but i bought a 2021 model 3 months ago. i have been modifying it to better suite our needs and am about half way there lol. so it is a major step down from the 34' wolf pack 295 we had.

i went with the genesis supreme overnighter fk model. https://www.genesissupremerv.com/med...3e1ff4ce91.pdf

they offer a 6k lb axle upgrade. of course i went with that and they come stock with F range tires with a L speed rating.

so mine actually weighs 5200 lbs with a 12k gvwr. my sand rail and gear add 3k lbs easy. once i add the tool box's for outside storage and the awning with the xtend add a room https://youtu.be/IvjIpxh5hDo

prob be pushing 3500 lbs of cargo but well below the ccc.

all the new fifthwheels i looked at have gone 13'5" to 13'6" in oal height. our 2011 295 wolf pack was only 12'2" oal height and still had 6'2" head room in the bedroom. not sure why all the new models had to go a foot taller unless it was easier to manufacture.

so the new overnighter is a hard tent on a flat bed. so far i like it for short 3 day runs to the sand dunes in oklahoma. wind doesn't grab it like the fiver. the biggest decision to go to this unit was the fact that my wife doesn't always go on the dunes trips. she does the majority of they times but not always. while we/i are there, we are rarely in the camper as we meet up with a group of offroaders when we go.

dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #2

before anyone says it....yep it looks like river boat it should say ss minnow on the side it serves a purpose and fits the bill for now plus it tows pretty good in 45 mph winds at 75 mph.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I just saw a similar set up at a local RV dealer. Didn't know they made anything like that. Now I will go back by and take a close look. Have a friend that would love something like this for his sand rail. Nice setup
Old 05-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
I just saw a similar set up at a local RV dealer. Didn't know they made anything like that. Now I will go back by and take a close look. Have a friend that would love something like this for his sand rail. Nice setup

the jeep guys are loving them too. they offer steel ramps for the heavier toys. i purchased longer bed rails from happijac to bring the residential queen size bed all the way down to normal height. $800 shipped and 4hrs to swap out. i also contacted carefree of colorado and they offer custom sized awnings in the fiesta line. just got that custom awning to fit over the back door last week, $1200 shipped. i am waiting to hear back from an american made under chassis tool box company if they will narrow down there tool box to 14" so i can add 4 36" long box's underneath for storage. i deleted on couch and added a tv cabinet with matching counter top( matches the sink countertop). i have had no luck finding oil bath hubs for 6k lb axles. i would pre fer them for towing at higher speeds. i also swapped out the ever so cheaply made stock power roof vents with the new all in one max air power vents. i really like them. on an 80* day or so you can open the windows and turn on of those on. damn nice air flow!

i haul a 2 seat mid engine long travel sand rail on mine.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #5

i don't know how accurate the furnace thermostat reading is but according to that gauge the 13,500 ac unit on med, kept the inside at 65* on a 94* day. i walked in there and it felt like i could hang meat! felt so good i dropped the couch into a bed and took a nap lol
Old 05-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #6

I was just saying to myself that A/C is the right size for such a small space It is going to be a hot and dry summer, that mo-fo will come in handy.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Lion View Post
I was just saying to myself that A/C is the right size for such a small space It is going to be a hot and dry summer, that mo-fo will come in handy.

it truly is just the right size
Old 05-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Hmm! I have a Jeep and a 3500 Ram. Would be great for those places I can't take the Motorhome. Oh honey...
Old 05-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
Hmm! I have a Jeep and a 3500 Ram. Would be great for those places I can't take the Motorhome. Oh honey...
would work great for that. if you were to buy one.......make sure and ask for the steel ramps vs the stock aluminum ones and def want the upgraded 6k lb axles vs the 4400lb stock ones. most units on the lots are 6k lb axles. most dealers order them that way but there are a few that do not for some reason!?!
Old 05-23-2020, 06:45 AM   #10

i added 2 of these to the toyhauler, work very well https://www.organizedobie.com/18x18-...XMTyb-tSKZORCM
Old 05-23-2020, 06:46 AM   #11

i just purchased but have not installed yet one of these https://www.organizedobie.com/Outdoo...e/Work-Station
Old 06-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #12

i am not changing but they came out with a new floor plan 6 months after i bought mine. i actually like this floor plan better.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:33 PM   #13

Old 03-17-2021, 03:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
. . .
so the new overnighter is a hard tent on a flat bed. so far i like it for short 3 day runs to the sand dunes in oklahoma. wind doesn't grab it like the fiver. the biggest decision to go to this unit was the fact that my wife doesn't always go on the dunes trips. she does the majority of they times but not always. while we/i are there, we are rarely in the camper as we meet up with a group of offroaders when we go.
I had no idea that there are rideable sand dunes in OK. I just looked it up, do you mean Little Sahara State Park? I may have to stop by there on one of my trips between AZ and Nebraska. I suppose summer is not a great time for that because of the heat?