Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

New Toy Hauler Help

Need help on Toy Hauler PleaseThis is going to be lived in full time. Want to haul motorcycle and atv. Want to hear from folks living in toyhauler full time on suggestions on things that are important. Things like dual pane windows, generators, brands like fuzion and etc. this will be first toyhauler. Living on fixed income so looking in moderate range for best quality and build. Thanks.

Jim
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot
Need help on Toy Hauler PleaseThis is going to be lived in full time. Want to haul motorcycle and atv. Want to hear from folks living in toyhauler full time on suggestions on things that are important. Things like dual pane windows, generators, brands like fuzion and etc. this will be first toyhauler. Living on fixed income so looking in moderate range for best quality and build. Thanks.

Jim
Hey Jim,

We own a Cyclone and had intended to use winters.
We ordered ours with dual pane windows etc., even still would be hesitant to winter without adding under belly insulation, enclose the lower perimeter, as well some extra heating (tape)to exterior plumbing. As for brands we've had our Cyclone since last April with minor issues and a recent refrigerator failure, Dometic, not a Heartland issue, other than an aggravation the frig is still under warranty. Any issues directed to Heartland have been pleasant and professional.
As for one brand over another, I think most are similar, they all use the same suppliers and other than a few high end makers Excel prices are in the same ballpark optioned similarly.
We chose Cyclone for the more residential appeal versus others that had a man cave feel as she stated.

Good Luck
trackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If you can find a used Travel Supreme you may want to look at it.
Other than New Horizons they were top of the lone. They are mo longer in Business, what a shame. We have the last one they built and have had very good luck with it. Great in cold weather. A bit heavy 19,5oo GVW

Joe
jbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 AM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Jim, I have been just over a year full time in my KX Escalade TH, and really couldn't be happier. I did buy used, and the unit was originally supplied with a generator, full belly pans and very good insulation, although single pane windows.

Like Joe, mine is a very heavy unit, around 21k, wet and loaded. Part of that weight is attributable to trhe solid wood cabinetry and furnishings. Also, the fact that I loaded way to much stuff up in there for my first road trip. She is going on a diet this winter, so I am hoping to knock a ton or so off.

As far as some of these features go, it will really depend on how you intend to use the rig. I spend most of my time in campgrounds, and avoid cold weather as best I can, so the need is not great for a gen set, or the massive insulation. Last winter we only had a couple of real cold snaps in Florida, so while I did burn a bit of propane in the furnace, most of the time it was windows open and airing out. On the other hand, if you are stuck in cold country, priorities change.

Good luck with your choice, I have been very happy with KZ, and found their service folks to be very easy to get on with. Oh, and welcome to the full timing gig, I hope you have as much fun with it as I have so far!
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dave,
I see that you are going "solo" in your toy hauler. My wife of 44 years died last May so I'll be going solo very soon. It will be my Harley, me, and the Rv. I also see that you belong to a solo club. Can you tell me a little about that? Thanks.
HPYCAMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Well, I see you are already a member of the Solo Club, so that's sorted, and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear of your wifes passing, you have my condolences.

Now as to full time soloing; As I said before, it's been a bit over a year now, and I'm loving it. I find in this rig, I have plenty of room to live comfortably to begin with. I have recently upgraded trucks to an F-450. Be sure what ever you buy, you have enough truck to haul it around with. Most of the higher end, full time ready 5ers are going to be heavy.

I spent most of last summer on the road, generally staying a week or so in one spot. Didn't have too much trouble loading up or setting up by myself. I take my time, and generally get through it in half an hour or so.

Also, RV'ers seem to be a very social bunch, much like boaters were when I was living aboard a few years ago.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me, and I will be happy to help out any way I can.
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote