Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2021, 11:05 PM   #1

Newbie buyer, front bed questions.

Well, wannabe buyer. I see a few TH ads for some older rigs with the bed in the front that folds out on a fiberglass? tented setup. I'm shopping on the cheap, and only plan on using the TH for weekend getaways with my Harley trike. My questions are:

What the heck is that setup called? I've seen 'hybrid' tossed around, but nothing definitive.

Are they useful and space saving, too much trouble to bother with or just a leaking pain in the arse?

All input is welcome! (Well, keep it clean!)

Thanks, Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 07:22 AM   #2

The flip out tent bunks in a hard side trailer are normally referred to as hybrids. I have never seen a toy hauler like that though. As long as it’s in good shape it shouldn’t leak any more than a tent, and hitting it with a hose will tell you all you need to know. You can’t put it up wet and leave it or you will run into mold/mildew issues.
For other options…
There are several other small toy haulers that have a hard sided trailer or pop up out back with a platform in the front.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #3

I recently bought a TH for just that purpose. Been "camping" too long at race tracks, sleeping in a box trailer on a cot with no AC, water, amenities--at 70 yo, I'm too old for that s--t!!! Check out the Forest River 180RT (Salem CruiseLite FSX logo). Just over 3000#, a tongue weight of 430#, and a payload of nearly 1800# (factory specs, so....). It's very basic but has a queen bed, small kitchenette with stove/MW/sink, AC/heat, toilet/shower combo, fresh/grey/black water tanks, and a small bench seat/dining area. Seems like everyone is going big-BIGGER-HUMONGOUS when it comes to toy haulers. Too much hassle for me. The thing I like about the 180RT is that the bed is built-in so if you want to stop for a quick overnight, no need to unhook and set-up the pop-out. I bought my 2018 from the 2nd owner, very lightly used and super clean, for $13,500. https://www.rvusa.com/2018-forest-ri...hauler-3116588

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017_ForestRiver_WildwoodXL_180RT.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	336632
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
I recently bought a TH for just that purpose. Been "camping" too long at race tracks, sleeping in a box trailer on a cot with no AC, water, amenities--at 70 yo, I'm too old for that s--t!!! Check out the Forest River 180RT (Salem CruiseLite FSX logo). Just over 3000#, a tongue weight of 430#, and a payload of nearly 1800# (factory specs, so....). It's very basic but has a queen bed, small kitchenette with stove/MW/sink, AC/heat, toilet/shower combo, fresh/grey/black water tanks, and a small bench seat/dining area. Seems like everyone is going big-BIGGER-HUMONGOUS when it comes to toy haulers. Too much hassle for me. The thing I like about the 180RT is that the bed is built-in so if you want to stop for a quick overnight, no need to unhook and set-up the pop-out. I bought my 2018 from the 2nd owner, very lightly used and super clean, for $13,500. https://www.rvusa.com/2018-forest-ri...hauler-3116588

Attachment 336632
I can relate. I'm 68. Roughing it is no fun anymore.

Sold my teardrop trailer and Harley Softail. I bought a trike, and the Warden and I want to do some sightseeing, Natl. parks, etc. in a more comfortable style.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:00 AM   #5

Basically looking for a 16' to 18', dual axle, 7' wide. Something to park, ride the bike for the day, then come back and 'crash'.

Done with late night partying!
Old 07-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophog1 View Post
Basically looking for a 16' to 18', dual axle, 7' wide.
Why dual axle? Guessing your trike weighs 1200-1400#? Still leaves you with some wiggle room on payload in the trailer GVWR. On the 180RT, the ramp is rated at 2500# load.
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Why dual axle? Guessing your trike weighs 1200-1400#? Still leaves you with some wiggle room on payload in the trailer GVWR. On the 180RT, the ramp is rated at 2500# load.
Trike weighs +/- 1000 lbs.

Maybe overthinking it, but my luck has never been the best.

I once found myself with 3 co-workers, and I'm driving of course, on the Hollywood Fry. in rush hour, in the fast lane . . . when my right front tire, wheel and caliper decide to go their merry way at 70 mph. Spindle sheared off due to a bad bearing.

Plus I worked on the Space Shuttle in the early years, and redundancy there was gospel! (It has been a thorn in my side ever since. I wire parallel systems in almost everything . . . just in case!)

If I get a flat, or worse a blowout, I don't want to be careening all over the road with a 1000 pound projectile inside, while throwing sparks all around and freaking out the neighboring traffic.

IMO, 2 tires per side is a lot safer, but I don't know much. Had a 2 axle flatbed car hauler for a few years, with no problems, but that's about it.

If my thinking is wrong, I'm open for input.

Bob
Old 07-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #8

I think you're right...two axles is the way to go. Just trailers better IMHO.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags