Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #1

Ok looking for me a 5th wheel TH

Should be picking up truck GMC 2500 hd crew cab 4x4 gas next summer. Now its time to find a 5th wheel toyhauler. So if you know any that I should look at list them please.... and go
Eyechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 08:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyechaser View Post
Should be picking up truck GMC 2500 hd crew cab 4x4 gas next summer. Now its time to find a 5th wheel toyhauler. So if you know any that I should look at list them please.... and go

Get a bigger truck to start with so you won't be maxed out.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #3

Yes get a bigger truck2013 Duramax GMC 3500 4x4 Dually DIESEL 6.6L V8 TURBO
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:39 PM   #4

X3

Most 5W toyhaulers have way too much pin weight for a 3/4 ton.

***EDIT***
I see you day 3/4T gas chevy. That should give you around 3k payload. With that kind of payload and tow rating you should be able to handle a smaller 5W toyhauler with an open floorplan.

If you are planning on one of those with a 10-12' garage and slides etc... you're going to need a bigger truck.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyechaser View Post
As long as you know you'll be limited to . . . who knows for weight. Depends on the year. Probably from 10k to 13k ballpark.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Better to determine which toyhauler fits your needs and wants then get a truck that will handle it safely.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #7

agree with all the above. Buying a 2500, (3/4) ton truck will limit how heavy a TH you can safely tow...At minimum. a 3500 SRW....but a newer 3500/350 dually would allow you to tow probably whatever you want.

If you're getting the TH first, look at GVW of unit and take 20% of that to figure MINIMUM pin weights......do yourself a favor and don't use dry or empty weights to figure what size truck you need...BIG MISTAKE.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #8

Ditto on larger truck. You can read other posts on toyhaulers. C130 just went from a Fuzion to a Momentum, I have a Tesla but selling it to my brother and looking at a DRV Fullhouse and XLR...and new Tesla floor plan. I would also look at the "new" Weekend Warrior...they will build anything you want with any custom paint color. You can go to You Tube (The RV Factory) and see their new 2016 models...really nice toyhauler. I shopped for over a year and personally saw every toyhauler made. When I first started looking, I wanted the Voltage. You'll have some positive comments from Voltage and Cyclone owners...but honestly when I meet them on the road...I realized they didn't shop. They had their mind made up before they shopped around...which is ok for them, but they are biased to what they own. Like I said you can see my old posts and others old posts with the problems and quality issues with the Voltages and Cyclones...so do your homework! Don't get locked in to local dealers, shop online you can save $$$$$...good luck.
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:37 PM   #9

Ok looking for me a 5th wheel TH

I was overweight with my 2011 F250 and a 35 foot Fuzion if that tells just anything. Over rear axle weight and over GCWR. 3/4 trucks are almost worthless towing a decent size 5th wheel, especially toy haulers. Yes, they'll pull it fine but overweight. All it takes is one time on the right road conditions and you'll wish you had a larger truck.

I hit a section of highway once with a bunch of dips in it and got in this oscillation with the truck bottoming out. I had air bags and didn't have a lot of weight in the Fuzion, just me and my son in the truck. That was it for me, I knew right then I was trading for a DRW truck and will never tow any decent size 5th wheel without one again. A lot of people will probably never experience those road conditions and I may not again but once was enough for me.

Toy hauler wise, look at all of them and narrow your choices down. We liked our Fuzion a lot and had no complaints. So far we love our Momentum but haven't used it much yet. XLR and Tesla are very nice also and were our other top choices. We hated the flooring in the new Fuzions so that excluded them. Bought out of state and saved a lot of money.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #10

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and new to the 5th wheel/toy hauler world too. We toy were in a similar situation when looking for a 5th wheel toy hauler. We have a 2014 Ram 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins. I was a bit disheartened by our weight limitations until I stumbled upon KZ RVs. We purchased a Sportsmen Sportster 355TH12. It's 40-foot, triple axle toy hauler that falls well within our trucks capabilities. The trailer has a 13K pound GVWR, the truck is rated 17.1K tow capacity. The trailer has a 1950# pin weight, the truck is rated at 2900# cargo. I towed the trailer over 300 miles from the dealership where we purchased it. Even though the numbers were within the limits of my truck, it was my first time ever towing something that big. Needless to say, I "white knuckled" the first hour or so of towing and I'm a 6'1", 250# black guy, but then I realized the truck was highly capable of performing the task at hand. I guess my point, or points, is to thoroughly read your truck's owner's manual to get your vehicle's capabilities and take a look at KZ. They make several toy haulers that are a lot lighter than most, have a lot of bells and whistles that are offered on the higher priced units, and cost quite a bit less than you'd think.

Happy shopping,
Eagle Fixer (Ret)
EagleFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFixer View Post
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and new to the 5th wheel/toy hauler world too. We toy were in a similar situation when looking for a 5th wheel toy hauler. We have a 2014 Ram 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins. I was a bit disheartened by our weight limitations until I stumbled upon KZ RVs. We purchased a Sportsmen Sportster 355TH12. It's 40-foot, triple axle toy hauler that falls well within our trucks capabilities. The trailer has a 13K pound GVWR, the truck is rated 17.1K tow capacity. The trailer has a 1950# pin weight, the truck is rated at 2900# cargo. I towed the trailer over 300 miles from the dealership where we purchased it. Even though the numbers were within the limits of my truck, it was my first time ever towing something that big. Needless to say, I "white knuckled" the first hour or so of towing and I'm a 6'1", 250# black guy, but then I realized the truck was highly capable of performing the task at hand. I guess my point, or points, is to thoroughly read your truck's owner's manual to get your vehicle's capabilities and take a look at KZ. They make several toy haulers that are a lot lighter than most, have a lot of bells and whistles that are offered on the higher priced units, and cost quite a bit less than you'd think.

Happy shopping,
Eagle Fixer (Ret)

Good write up and welcome to the board EF! We did some research the same as you as we weren't ready to go DRW just yet. This is what got us started looking at XLR. Their lower pin weights due to more forward axle placement kept us under our trucks GVWR, GAWR, and tire ratings. Yes, we are over GCWR but I'm OK with that. Doing research like you and I did can find a unit or two out there that work for the 250 SWR350 crowd.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel