Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

Question ONAN 5500 Marquis Gold generator help

Hello all,
I'm new to rving and can use some help. I have attached a video of what my generator is doing and I am hoping that someone on here can tell me what I can do to fix it. Thanks in advance

I am going to try to give out all the details so that I can get the best help.
So I have a onboard gas powered onan 5500 marquis gold generator. I bought the trailer with the generator not working... I put on a new carb and then it was was working but would not operate at full load and was spitting fuel out the intake. I found out the it was only running on one cyclinder because one of my valves was stuck. I was able to get the valve unstuck then I did a valve adjustment on all of the valves.

The problem is now, the generator will start and run for 7 seconds and shuts off. I can start it multiple times and it runs for about 7 seconds every time. I am getting the error code 37.

Someone told me to try to bypass the fuel pump and filter to make sure fuel is not the problem, so the current video is done with it being gravady fed. I think it should also be noted that even if I am spraying carb cleaner in the carb it still dies at about 7 seconds. Any help would be greatly appreciately as I am going crazy trying to figure this out.
Thanks
JBerrett

30 second video of what my generator is actually doing
https://photos.app.goo.gl/upx4rNcjeJGHV78LA

error code
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ge8zxYC9KBHtKQ629

model number
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aX6...ew?usp=sharing
jdberrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
This is out of the Onan Manual I have, for fault 37

Looks like you have a lot going on.

INVALID SET CONFIGURATION – FAULT CODE 37
WARNING Some genset service procedures present hazards that can result in severe personal injury
or death. Only trained and experienced persons with knowledge of fuels, electricity, and machinery
hazards should perform genset service. See Safety Precautions.
Logic: Configuration is determined by ratio of quadrature frequency / ignition speed
Possible Causes: Wire connections, windings, ignition system, drive belt slippage, generator drive system
Diagnosis & Repair:
1. Verify that Last Fault is FC 37: Yes, continue diagnosis; No, troubleshoot actual last fault.
2. Alternating FC 37 and FC 47: Magneto gap to wide: reset magneto gap, retest.
3. HGJAD only – Run genset in Engine Run Only and externally excite field with 12 VDC or 24 VDC and
measure main and quadrature winding AC output.
4. Non EFI only – If the genset will not stay running measure genset frequency, quadrature winding and
main winding voltages using Break-Out Tool 420–0603 and Instruction Sheet R1098.
5. Measure AC frequency while changing engine rpm to determine if frequency response matches engine
rpm response: repair damaged generator drive system as necessary.
6. Measure field, quadrature and main winding resistance: clean slip rings, replace brushes, repair harness
and replace rotor or stator as necessary.
7. Measure field, quadrature and main winding resistance to ground: clean slip rings, replace brushes, repair
harness and replace rotor or stator as necessary.
8. Measure field, quadrature and main winding resistance to each other: clean slip rings, replace brushes,
repair harness and replace rotor or stator as necessary.
9. Check brush alignment per PSB-682a.
10. Verify that spark plug cables are secure on spark plugs: reconnect or replace as necessary.
11. Inspect ignition kill leads in harness and at connector P1: repair or replace lead, terminal or pins as necessary.
12. Test Magnetos
A. Disconnect Connector P1.
B. Connect positive(+) meter lead to chassis ground.
C. HGJAA, D, E, F – Measure continuity to negative lead at pin P1–4 and P1–5: replace magnetos as
necessary.
HGJAB, C – Measure continuity to negative lead at pin P1–15 and P1–20: replace magnetos as necessary.
13. Measure spark plug gap: set gap or replace spark plugs as necessary.
14. Verify ignition spark condition.
15. Inspect spark plug lead, kill lead terminal at magneto and measure magneto air gap: replace terminals,
set gap or replace magnetos as necessary.
16. Dealers contact Distributor for technical support, Distributors contact factory for technical support
Old 02-24-2019, 11:10 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
According to my book, this is a "Invalid Genset Configuration Fault" or "Wrong Frequency/RPM Ratio." It simply states "Corrective Action is to Contact Authorized Dealer." With that said, I will ask the dumb question of the day. Did you check you oil level? Oil level would prevent one from running very long. Don't think it would be a faulty switch, that would prevent it from starting period. Since you are gravity feeding the fuel, that would eliminate the electronic fuel pump under the unit. There are two fuel filters on the unit, one by the fuel pump and another by the carb. The last thought would be a faulty control board. Please keep us posted as to what was your final fix.

I did find in another book that list the troubleshooting steps listed in #2 statement. To add to his info, the book also list some possible causes as:
1. Wire connection
2. Windings
3. Ignition System
4. Drive Belt Slippage (didn't know they had a belt)
5 Generator Drive System

Good Luck.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure the electronic governor can control the idle. On mine somebody had turned up the throttle hard stop at the carb by three turns and it wouldn't let the idle come down. This caused the frequency to be too high and would shut down.
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #5

Did you verify it is running on both cylinders? They will run on one cylinder. Easy to pull one wire at a time to make sure it is running on both. Next thing I would recommend it to check the wiring.
lotsoftoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #6

5500 onan generator update

I appreciate all the responses. I continue to look for answers. I did change the oil to make sure that was at the right level. It is doing the exact same thing. I tried unplugging the oil sensor after checking the level and it still cuts off after 6-7 seconds. In other words, with the oil sensor plugged in or out still shuts off. I will try tomorrow to run just on one cylinder and how that goes. In my mind, someone who knows these generators, its a simple fix but we will see. Thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #7

what wiring are you recommending to check? Thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 10:42 PM   #8

I like the theory in this. How would I check it? Thanks
Old 02-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #9

I would pull on spark plug boot and see if it runs. If so, try the other one. Could be a lot of things as noted about. 1-800-CUMMINS is technical support.
lotsoftoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #10

Take it into a certified Cummins shop. Would be well worth the money. May even be covered under warranty. Especially for a new to you rig, it would be a good idea to have it checked out properly.

Tags
generator, onan