RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #1

Onan RV QG 5500 won't start

Ok so I've been dealing with the generator on my Fuzion. The previous owner told me the carb likely needed to be cleaned.

Well I did that, and changed the spark plugs,put gas in the tank, primed it with the fuel line off to be sure I was getting fuel from the pump.

After reconnecting everything I cant get it to start. It will turn but wont fire. I shoot a blast of starter fluid into it and it will fire but not continue to run.

I know the carb is getting fuel because I can drain the bowl each time and get a good amount of fuel.

One thing I do notice it that when I pull the plug out after trying to crank it, they are dry like they arent getting fuel but everything seems to check out fine.

Any ideas?
cajuncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #2

Your carb cleaning was not sufficient. You'll save hours of frustration by replacing it. Hint - China clones from eBay or Amazon. The varnish that builds up in the carb from the ethanol-blend fuels is the culprit.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Your carb cleaning was not sufficient. You'll save hours of frustration by replacing it. Hint - China clones from eBay or Amazon. The varnish that builds up in the carb from the ethanol-blend fuels is the culprit.
Hmm, ok then guess I'll try a new one, though all of the passages seemed to flow fine when I sprayed carb cleaner through it and not varnish in any of the jet holes.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #4

Do you have a solenoid sticking out the bottom of the carb bowl ?

If you do, that needs 12 volts to it while cranking and running to let gas into the main jet.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Do you have a solenoid sticking out the bottom of the carb bowl ?

If you do, that needs 12 volts to it while cranking and running to let gas into the main jet.
Yes I do, I will double check it to make sure it's getting power and see that it is operating correctly
Old 07-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
On mine I had to run a torch tip cleaner though all of the orifices. Just spraying carb cleaner and even soaking in carb cleaner didn't do it. I installed a shut off valve in the gas line to the carb. Now i turn it off and run the gen until it stops then open the drain screw to make sure it's empty. FYI I think mine was clogged in the brass cylinder that the fuel bowl attaches to.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #7

Can I remove the solenoid and out a plu in its place to test and see if that's the issue?
Old 07-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #8

Don't know, I just know that it needs power to pull the needle out of the main jet.

I'm sure its not a standard pipe thread.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #9

Well ordered a new carb, cleaned the old one a second time using a torch tip cleaner in every jet, checked fuel solenoid, it worked properly.

Also found a pist about high oil level, so pulled some oil out. Still nothing.

Not smelling fuel when trying to crank it so guess carb is bad.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #10

If I may add you probably might want to replace the fuel pump. Not sure how many hours you have on your unit. The Onan manual states the fuel pump should be changed out every 500 hours. My 5500 all of a sudden would start and run for a time and just stop. A friend of mine who stores his unit at the same location told me my problem was the fuel pump. I switched it out and now it purrs like a kitten. That could be your problem, just saying. I also replaced my spark plug. I really try to stick to the recommended maintenance schedule, and I start it religiously at least once a week and let it run.
dieselhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhunter View Post
If I may add you probably might want to replace the fuel pump. Not sure how many hours you have on your unit. The Onan manual states the fuel pump should be changed out every 500 hours. My 5500 all of a sudden would start and run for a time and just stop. A friend of mine who stores his unit at the same location told me my problem was the fuel pump. I switched it out and now it purrs like a kitten. That could be your problem, just saying. I also replaced my spark plug. I really try to stick to the recommended maintenance schedule, and I start it religiously at least once a week and let it run.
This one only has 24 hours on it

I changed plugs and tested the pump. It is pushing fuel and fills the bowl with no issue, seems when it gets to the bowl is where it stops.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:49 PM   #12

I had the same problem on my onan gold marquis 5500. Replaced the carb with aftermarket, it started fine but would die shortly after. After many steps of diagnosing , replaced the fuel pump, also aftermarket. Runs great now . Right around $100 for both. ( parts only, I did the labor)
Mtnmann13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnmann13 View Post
I had the same problem on my onan gold marquis 5500. Replaced the carb with aftermarket, it started fine but would die shortly after. After many steps of diagnosing , replaced the fuel pump, also aftermarket. Runs great now . Right around $100 for both. ( parts only, I did the labor)
I changed the carb and it cranked right up and runs fine.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #14

Great job! Happy trails
Mtnmann13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan