Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2022, 06:29 PM   #1

Pin weight empty vs toys inside

Not new to camping, or driving large vehicles, but would like real world experiences. I've been a commercial driver for 25 years, so not clueless, but possibly over thinking things.

Let's use round numbers for simplicity. Say I have 3k pin weight on a 2 axle 39ft toy hauler. I load say 4 bikes at 250lbs each in the garage. I know there's many variables, so not expecting exact numbers, but I think I should see a noticeable difference in pin weight, right?
Ddewey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2022, 06:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddewey78 View Post
...but I think I should see a noticeable difference in pin weight, right?
Assuming its not a massive garage with toys sitting directly over the axles, the answer is yes.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:51 PM   #3

YES pin weight will change with garage loaded....become lighter

Toyhaulers are PIN Heavy dry so when garage is loaded the Pin weight is still heavy enough to provide 20% pin ratio (or more)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Not new to camping, or driving large vehicles, but would like real world experiences. I've been a commercial driver for 25 years, so not clueless, but possibly over thinking things.

Let's use round numbers for simplicity. Say I have 3k pin weight on a 2 axle 39ft toy hauler. I load say 4 bikes at 250lbs each in the garage. I know there's many variables, so not expecting exact numbers, but I think I should see a noticeable difference in pin weight, right?
I think you will see a difference, but how much? My situation is a little different because my TH is a triple axle and I load a 1,200 pound Harley in the back. I know my pin goes down a little but I have been lazy and not run across the scales loaded yet. Based on the fact my F350 barely squats when I hook up loaded I'm guessing my pin is about perfect.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:43 AM   #5

As others said, yes, however it is likely that the difference will not make a significant difference.

As you said there are lots of variables probably the largest being where the weight is carried in your garage in relationship to your axles.

I would think that you may see at most a 10-20% of your load weight from your pin weight.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:13 AM   #6

I too have a triple axle Toy Hauler....Momentum 394M and last year we loaded up our normal stuff in the garage...plus two bicycles (not ebikes), plus a Can Am Spyder with a weight of about 1100 lbs. Pin weight decreased about 100 lbs vs. without the Spyder and bicycles. As stated, a lot will depend on the amount of weight added and where that is in relation to the axles. I'm seeing just under 4K pin weight without the Spyder.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:36 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:

What is your definition of "noticeable"?

We are around 4250 of pin weight. When we had our gas power golf cart, about 1100 lbs., we would lose about 100lbs of pin weight.
Now we have a Spyder and expect around the same difference in pin weight.

After you get loaded, without the bikes, go get weighed. Then add the bikes and get weighed again, I would be interested to see the difference in pin weight. So, if you can please post the numbers.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:38 AM   #8

I have a Nitro XLR 321 and I have not weighed it, but here is what I can tell you. When the 1,300# RZR is loaded the rear overload spring only contacts one the pads. When the RZR is not loaded the over load spring contacts both the front and rear pad. This is on a 2022 3500HD Duramax.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:24 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Best to just go to a cat scale.
Always good to know your true weights. I was surprised when I did.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
Best to just go to a cat scale.
Always good to know your true weights. I was surprised when I did.
I plan to, but just wasn't sure what to expect. I know from years on the road in a semi that the cantilever effect can change a semi a few hundred, to a few thousand depending on weight and placement from the fulcrum
Ddewey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:46 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
It depends on the trailer and the load. We had a Rampage 377 triple axle for 10 years that was REALLY pin heavy even though it was alum sided and had no slides. It did have a very high CCC because of that at least. It wasn't until I loaded my ZJ Grand Cherokee in the very back that it made a difference big enough to feel while towing (which was a positive difference).

I scaled that setup many times over the years. Surprisingly with the Jeep in the trailer, I was over my GCWR but under on all of my axles I also made sure to have way more tire capacity than I'd ever need on the truck and the trailer.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by McVeycations View Post
Assuming its not a massive garage with toys sitting directly over the axles, the answer is yes.
The only way that answer is a yes, is if it's massive toys sitting as far away from the axles as possible. And even then, it will still only reduce pin weight by the ratio of distance fwd of CL orf axles to pin vs rearward from CL of axles to CoG of the toys.

In the OP's case, maybe 200lbs tops pin weight reduction.
Grit dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:41 AM   #13

I switched trucks over the winter and my tow ratings on the new Silverado dropped a bit from what my Ram had. The Ram spec was 1050# tongue weight while the Silverado is only 950. My trailer dry tongue weight is 950 so it has always concerned me a bit.

When I pulled it from storage this year it seemed to be porpoiseing more with the new truck. It was also dropping the back wheel well about 1.5" from the ground and raising the front about .75". I never measured with the Ram since the RV dealer set up the hitch and it was never an issue, but this seemed excessive. I have the Husky Centerline WDH so I raised the brackets one hole and that got me back to about .5" drop in the back and no change on the front.

I decided to buy the Sherline tongue weight scale to figure out my tongue weight. With my gear randomly distributed (no toys) and two full propane tanks it came in right at 950#.

I checked again while I was flushing the fresh water tank and adding 44 gallons of water did not affect tongue weight, which makes sense since the tank is directly over the axles.

I then moved all of my gear as far back as possible. This includes a 3500 watt generator (not loaded on first measurement), several folding tables and chairs, toolboxes with all of my cords, chocks, tools, etc. I also moved the spare tire from under the bed to the back. Tongue weight dropped to just under 800#.

I plan on hitting a CAT scale when I head out tomorrow to figure out the full weight picture, but I'm guessing I'm at about 6500# overall. That puts me at 12% tongue weight which from my research says is good. If it feels off I can always pull over and shift some stuff around.
tom92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight