Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #1

Purchased a custom dune sport toyhauler

We purchased a custom dune sport toyhauler. received it in early oct, sadly only had time for one trip. this is the only company that i know of that actually allows one to draw your own floor plan, down to the floor tie downs. this floor plan is my design, specifically for i and my wifes use. to haul our sand rail to the sand dunes, with the occasional camping trip. clearly this floor plan isn't for everyone as no one design fits the majority.

we had some requirements and #1 on the list was nothing over 32' on the bumper. i had a 35' in the past and that was horrible to tow in the wind and 95% of the time the wind is blowing as i usually cross three state lines to either sand dunes i visit. nothing on the market under 32' even that has a true 14' of cargo and 4k lbs plus ccc.

my sand rail is 13'2" oal , 80" track width front, 92" track width rear. 1960 lbs wet. i wanted 14' of cargo length as wide as possible. informed the salesmen it would be impossible to back it in so min 20% tw preferred. they can only do what they can do as they order there frames from lippert as most do. as they are custom units i had to ask

i opted for 16" black steel rims with salun 235-85x16 G range ( 14 ply) tires. they installed an H frame with two tire winches bolted to it for the spare tire carrier. its under the frame up against the back door. there is room to move it close to the nose. which i will do as it's tongue lite with my 2k lb sand rail pulled in. i added a 46lb v shaped steel tool box to the nose with my 120 lbs of tools. i have not weighed the wheels but aprrx 200lbs in tires, steel framed carrier and tire winches. that has to go upfront as well. we were so tongue lite for our maiden voyage that the sway ( in a dead side wind) moved my f350 drw diesel side to side. i stopped, moved the two spares to the bed of my truck and my 120lbs of tools up against the bed on the floor. took 85% of that sway out immediately. empty it tows exceptionally well. my aftermarket hitch is rated for 2200 lbs tw so the additional weight it not/will not be an issue.

30' oal with 26' floor

12'6" tall to ac (personaly verified)

7200 lbs/1200 tw

side patio with railings

true 8' tall 3k lbs rated ramp door

1000 lumen lights on all 4 sides

reversible sofa couch bed on hapijac bed lift ( a must have for us)

ceiling mount tv that directly faces the couch

12v dometic fridge - we personally will never go back to lp after having this

convection microwave oven

2 burner flush mount lp cook top turned sideways as we don't use it

corian counter tops with under mount sink

porcelin toilet

2- 13,500 non ducted attwood air command-amazing how quiet they are!

100 gal fresh

50 gal black/grey

his/her wards

3' flip up corian counter top with no base cabinet for cargo width

12 volt blu ray player i purchased and shipped

3 in one winnegaurd omni 360 plus i sent ( one hole vs 3 in roof)

3 dual channel speaker systems i sent as well

solar prep, pre wired to roof and batt with 30 amp controller $179

7k lb axles for 16" wheel and bigger brakes, 6600lb ccc

3500 lb winch mounted in the base under the fridge $550

10 gal electric/lp water heater

a number of other options. $26k base price , $44k final price

they do offer stick and tin or aluminum and fiber glass or a combo of both. i opted for stick and tin for the batt insulation, with a fiber glass nose. i did so as sound deadening is more important for us. i owned an aluminum walled toyahuler and it had horrible sound deadening. we do not winter camp, the dunes are 24/7 and loud. this is the reason for 2- ac units in a 26' box. the bedroom is 6'4" deep x 8' wide, with its own ac....aka the meat locker res queen mattress as well. def quiet inside so perfect for the two of us. very comfortable inside the toyhauler.

i do understand that turning the rear deck into a patio is cheaper/lighter weight then a side patio. we do not like raising and lowering a bed and/or couches to use it. we do use the patio and really enjoy it. we had a rear patio on the last toyhauler and used it on every trip. didn't want any sofa/dinettes on the side walls for full width use. the rev sofa bed on the hapijac is perfect. didn't want any slide outs, yes they do add a lot of room but can become headaches as well. they do offer slide outs as well.

the salesman was very helpful and accommodating during the design process. i was and still am impressed we got all this in 26' of floor. that's all i care to say on that subject, thus far.

in the pics, the fiberglass skins/doors are not white, they just look diff with the direction of the sun.

if anyone else has purchased a dune sport toyhauler or has any comments/experiences..... feel free to voice your opinions. seriously, good and/or bad are welcome.the electrician did an amazing job, cleanest wiring/routing job i have ever seen. the plumber as well from what i can see. i believe dune sport has been around since the late 90's and sold a few times since. i can honestly say that i believe this company has great potential.

dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #2

and just for reference..... forward to 1:47 and watch to 2:02 to see my camper and sand rail. that toy is 13' 2" long and weights 1960 wet. cannot be backed in as the rear is 90" where the front is 80". that side patio wall bumps in 8" plus the flip up counter top on left side eats 3" only leaving 85". perfect for the front but not the rear.

https://youtu.be/r7T2WwzjZPI
Old 12-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #3

Very nice. So great to get exactly what you want in one of these rigs. I especially like the side patio and awning, the floor and the simple exterior color.

That video is in Oklahoma, right? Looks like a nice group of 'Mericans
Old 12-16-2021, 06:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
Very nice. So great to get exactly what you want in one of these rigs. I especially like the side patio and awning, the floor and the simple exterior color.

That video is in Oklahoma, right? Looks like a nice group of 'Mericans
thanks jeffaz. we def enjoy the side patio a lot. the video is in the north campground on oklahoma dunes. great group of duners too! everyone in the group build there own rails.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:21 PM   #5

dune sport toyhauler 1 year owner review

1 year owner review, fair warning, this will be a long read

oct made one year of ownership of the dune sport toyhauler 26 fb model. 26' of floor and 30' oal. has been quite the adventure debugging this toyhauler,, prob 70 hrs labor and counting. dune sport has sent me some of the parts under warranty. they forgot to install a couple things altogether, made a lot of mistakes in the construction. i expect new campers to have some issues but this has been quite the experience. i can say, based on the manufacturers behavior, statements, and warranty, i will never buy another one.

let me start by stating that over all, we enjoy the toyhauler. this is the only company i found, that allows the customer to draw their own floor plan. for that reason alone, as a whole, it has fit our needs hauling our toy. the unfortunate part is that i have spent more time finishing dune sports build and repairing there mistakes than we have used it.

i am not posting this to bash dune sport, nor to tell people to run. i am simply posting this for anyone searching this brand. looking for honest experiences. they clearly have more happy customers then upset ones. a few bad reviews on yelp and google as well as the bbb, with far more good reviews.

this is the 6th toyhauler ( 2 lost to hail) we have owned over the last 21 years plus. i have some experience repairing campers including lifting walls to replace sub floors. what i may consider " not to big of a deal " others may not.

we have had 14 issues with the toyhauler. not the smaller issues we have had like...... loose trim, bathroom and bedroom doors that needed adjusted, stripped screws falling out of the emergency escape window latch, ceiling mounted tv travel strap screws pulling out of the ceiling, caulking lifting off the bathroom surround and pulling the top layer of the wall panel with it. those were what i consider tiny annoying issues that are simple to repair.

once you finalize your cad print, there is a 10% deposit. our 26fb had a base price of $25,840.00 and we optioned it out to $46,203.00. waited close to 6 months to have this built as well as sold our ( at the time current) toyhauler to help pay for it. they state in the contract that the deposit is non refundable. they allowed me to purchase a few items ( dropped shipped to them ) that they do not offer and they installed them for a small fee. design and purchase was great and their willingness to work with their customer was fantastic......after the sale it changes drastically.

water heater thermostats started to fail on the 2nd trip. i contacted dometic and they sent new ones. very easy to swap out so no problem. the furnace didn't work from day one. i emailed dune sport to find out there is no warranty on appliances. so if your considering a toyhauler from them, know that there is no warranty on appliances nor do they insulate there floors. that's another one they do not tell people. i will have to pull the face of the lower cabinets off to get the furnace out.

the first issue was when they sent 60 pictures of the completed toyhauler. everything looked good at first except the awning. i specifically ordered a manual awning as i am someone that knows the true benefits of a manual awning vs an electric awning. i also use the manual awnings in car port mode if i want to get out of the sun to work on my toy. not a common occurrence but not rare. they tried to talk me into a power awning but i insisted on a manual. they sent a cad picture ( not a dimensioned cad print) of a 17' power awning overlayed on a 15' manual for my approval.

obviously power awning side arm rails are short where manual awning arms go to the base of the wall. i didn't understand why 17' power awning would fit or only a 15' manual awning. didnt really care and didn't ask. now that i saw the build date on the power awning i am pretty sure it was a left over they had in stock as most pre fer power awnings these days. i was only concerned that it would cover the side patio and entry door, wasn't worried that it didn't cover the entire side.

i had no reason to ask if they knew how to properly size manual awning arms to the different side wall heights. they did not and the handles of the manual awning are almost 6' off the ground. i'm 5'11" and i have to use a step stool to use the awning. they stated anyone and everyone would know that based on the cad print pictured above and the fact they are 8' tall walls. again, not a cad print of the awning itself.

the bottom of the door is 34" off the ground and awning handle is even with the bottom of the window.

i sent an email stating that was unacceptable and with in minutes received a call from the owner of dune sport, brad. brad stated that i had signed off on the cad print and that i knew the awning handles would be that high and he would not pay his staff to change it. he bluntly told me this was my fault and that dune sport will not fix this. they still had the toyhauler on there lot at this point. i explained that they did not send a cad print and that the pic they sent showed short awning arms typically found on power awnings. i also stated that dometic offers 5 different length arms for different side wall heights. he told me they do not have any such info in there system and will not order different arms. i had to actually walk him over the phone, to the page on the dometic's web site, proving to him that dometic does indeed offer 5 different length arms. proved to him that they used the short one typically found on tall slide in truck campers! he did admit that they did not know this and i believe he was genuine in that statement. i asked why they didn't call there dometic rep when they knew that was wrong and he simply started in stating they will not fix it. in fact he stated that they would remove the awning or give me a $250 credit to keep it, as is, and nothing else. i had no idea that a toy hauler manufacturer didn't know how to properly size a manual awning for an 8' tall side wall. i do and have a couple times. here is a pic of my previous wolf pack, you can see the manual awning rails go all the way down on an 8' tall side wall. forest river and keystone know how.

we had a trip planned and indeed wanted the toyhauler as it is our custom floor plan. i accepted the credit and proceeded to inspect the rest of the 60 pics, closer. called dometic ( thats not a fun time) turned out that the awning was old enough that dometic discontinued that line. supposedly universal rails will fit it but 6 months back order plus i have to open the walls to add a backer to mount them. i'm still using a step stool for now.

one of the options we added was 1000 lumen lights on all 4 sides. i had opted to have the 2 switch's for the left wall and nose, placed in the left front storage door above the battery. i asked why they weren't there and they stated i never requested that location. obviously they forgot, as i explained that this was not only in the cad print but notated in the invoice..... they did not correct them. not the end of the world but when you routinely show up to the sand dunes in the dark, one less step to turn those lights on for set up is just nicer. i let it go.

i then noticed that the microwave was over the cook top rather then on the left wall over the prep area, as my wife had asked. i had asked that they use the cabinet over the cook top, to house the 12v stereo, 12v blue ray player i sent, solar controller display and anything that flashes. someone decided it would look better the cook top and the radio and blue ray player over the fridge. with the solar controller on the side of the fridge. they did not move the solar controller in the final cad print and i missed that....that on myself. again i noted that this was on the cad print and notated on the invoice, they did not correct their mistake. again i simply let it go

i purchased 3 two channel speaker box's, had them drop shipped directly too them. picture w/o the grill on, there are right and left hand speaker jacks on the rear. they come with flush, semi flush or surface mounting plates.

they wired two incorrectly ( no big deal ) honest mistake. they did call to tell me one was no good. turned out they had reversed the polarity so easy fix once i heard it. my real issue is with how the installed them. the one on the side porch was mounted vertical rather then horizontal, as sound bar ( with rt and left channels) as should've been mounted. the box's in the living area and bedroom were correct in the cad print. didnt believe i needed to specify the orientation. i guess that is my fault for not specifying a 2 channel box needed to be mounted horizontally.

at least they got the speaker over the couch correct. that 1 out of 3

bed runs east west, not a huge deal in the bedroom.

speaker orientation is wrong in the bedroom as well the patio. i brought this up, but, clearly the holes had all been cut to flush mount them. i did state that where i am from, we wear head phones on our ears, not our forehead and the base of our skull, didnt find it as funny as i did. again i let this go.

caught covid so wound up paying to have it delivered. there were 2 main musts my wife had in this build....large ss sink, under mounted and a left swing door on the rear of the side pati. obviously, so no one gets hit opening the door. i paid extra for a 30" grey left swing door. unit shows up with a right swing door. luckily it was 30" rather then their standard 24" wide. i notified them, they told me that was my fault for not catching that issue in the 60 pics they sent. non of there pics were a straight on shot with the door down in patio mode. i sent a screen shot of their cad print showing it was to be a left swing.again, dune sport stated it was my fault for not catching it. i sent a picture of the cad print and a highlighted picture of the invoice showing it was on both.

i told them that this mistake, i absolutely will not overlook. took some arguing but brad finally admitted, that he changed the invoice/cad before it went to construction. he blamed the salesman for not properly labeling drivers side door. he stated, they don't list them as rt and left swing in the rv industry, rather drivers side and pass side. he agreed to send the correct door but refused to ship it claiming there is too much damage in shipping. i can see that on one hand. asked that i tow it back so they could do it. i said no, that's a 20 hr drive, one way and I would have to take a week off of work for the trip. several months went by but they found a customer this direction to send it with and I installed it. I saved the old one and will return it when they find a shipping method. they said i should ship it back at my cost! thats a no

from rt hand

to left hand

they also forgot to caulk the base of the wall to the floor on the patio. if it were to rain, with the deck down, water would run right under the wall. it was an easy fix. i need to buy a small sink drain to install in the floor in case of rain. i coated the perimeter of the ramp gate frame to keep water from wicking in, if i leave it down in the rain. no big deal but annoying

https://rumble.com/embed/v1w90l6/?pub=4nukn

you could see light from the upper left corner of the ramp gate. I took a pic with the lights out and shades drawn so that it could be seen in a pic. the pic is pretty dark though. 2 issues with the gate, it was crooked in the frame and they cut the foam rubber gasket 2" short on the corner. i heated it with a heat gun to release the adhesive, stretched 2" and stuck it back down. this is a short term fix as it will shrink with age. i used plastic door shims to space the bottom of the gate on the inside. i loosened the spring hinges and then used the same shims to better align it to the frame. the frame was welded together 1/2" wider at the top then the bottom. not sure if they come with the steel tube frames or not. i did get it sealed up, sent pics and dune sport did send replacement foam rubber gasket. easy enough to repair, for myself.

water pump leaked through a seam in its body. the internal check valve didn't work either. filled 3/4 of my 100 gal fresh tank in 3 days. a few emails later they sent a replacement....it too was bad. that is an lci issue not a dune sport mistake. i bought a variable speed pump and no more issues. they also sent the winterization kit that i optioned, that they forgot to install. i have the crimp tools, so not a big deal either. they forgot to install the low point drains but remembered the sticker on the frame where they were supposed to be did not send them either.

the medicine cabinet kept spitting its shelves out on smooth roads. in my 15 mile drive, on smooth roads, it would eject both shelves and the brackets with them. they forgot to add a backer to the wall. the cabinet was screwed to 1/8" paneling, basically. i used a tape measure to measure the movement ( 1" of movement ) because they didn't believe it , blamed it on bad roads and stated that they do not need to use a backer as they are lagged in. after seeing the video/pics they admitted that one needed a backer.

https://rumble.com/embed/v1w8xuk/?pub=4nukn

something that we were really unhappy about was the fact that the roof leaked on our first trip. i had to take the front wall apart, not only to find the leak but dry the wall out and the insulation. it was an air bubble in the sealant. i found the slit and scraped it back for the picture. had they applied a butyl tape between the fiberglass and pvc roofing , then applied the self leveling caulking ( as they should've), probably wouldn't have leaked.

https://rumble.com/embed/vlobjl/?pub=4nukn

optioned in one of there custom installed wireless winches. they buy them from harbor freight. installed a 3500lb badland model. 1960 lbs sand rail, the winch went into thermal overload, with my toy half way up the ramp. they forgot to tighten the cables so they were arcing. they also used to small of wire for the 12 foot run to the battery, for an 80 amp draw. that's what their winch stated for that weight and spool. that was lucky as they only lag screwed that winch to the wood floor. no steel backing or connection to the frame. either they forgot to tighten the lag screws, or they started to back out. had to lower the front fresh water tank to get to the back sides to add steel plates and bolts. not a fun job but i did replace the winch with a 4500lb model. they used two lag screws, through a 2x6, into the floor, then 4 through the winch to the 2x6. not good

I optioned in 2 spare tires as this is a tandem axle trailer. they installed lci tire winches onto an H frame, that is welded the frame. the winches were installed on the wrong side of the frame. because of this they never bottom out and flop during transport. they began to unroll, but were luckily caught before they touched the ground. i removed the spare tire carriers and correctly installed them.

https://rumble.com/embed/v1w8v2a/?pub=4nukn

the extremely poor quality roof construction is the worst part imo. they should be ashamed of themselves. luckily i store this in a building and inspect routinely. had they told me they didn't use full sheets, i would've gladly paid extra and even thrown in an extra $30 for a broom so the guys could sweep the debris off before gluing the pvc down.

https://rumble.com/embed/v1w92y6/?pub=4nukn

that is pretty much all the negatives.

there are some positives..... every panel i have had to remove for repairs has shown me they have a top notch 120v ac electrician on staff.

they do build to your floor plan and that a huge plus for larger toys.

they only option in what you want and not a bunch of items you don't need/want, that keeps the cost down.

the plumber did a very clean job as the electrician did.

the design process is fairly easy and they are very helpful during that part.

they do allow you to send items for install that they dont offer. may not install them correctly but they do get them installed.

the toyhauler pulls very nice.

they let you option in larger axles and bigger tires.

they let you option the axles on top or below the leaf springs.

pretty much anything can be upgraded.

they offer 3000 lb ramp doors in full 8' heights for a better loading angle.

they offer 5000lb ramp doors for heavier toys.

they offer solar packages in pre wired or full systems.
cabinets are not great but nice and you can add as many as will fit.

allow different wardrobe combinations as well.

the air command non ducted ac units they use are definitely the quietest i have every used! wish they would've offered the extensions offered to remote the control units from the face to the wall rather then the remote controls but not the end of the world.

the 12 volt compressor 10 cu ft dometic fridge is the best i have ever had and wouldn't go back to an rv gas/electric for our application.

they let us option in 50 gal black, 50 gal grey and 100 gal fresh water tanks.

let us option in a sani flush system as well as 50 amp service for the two roof ac units.

they do offer cameras but we didn't option that in.

they also offer auto leveling system for bumper hitch. we didnt

they also offer power jacks systems. we didn't

i am someone that expects to get what i paid for. i never got rude or yelled at any staff member. I did state that there is a lack of common sense among members of their staff. apparently that was considered rude i was labeled a nit picker, complainer and difficult customer, verbally and via email.

based on my experience, those labels are because i expected to receive what i paid for where they believe the customer should be happy with what the received. maybe i expected too much and all of the above is being to critical?? i don't think so but maybe.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:27 PM   #6

good thing i came back and read your second post. the first one talked me into a dunesport, the second one talked me out of one.
john1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1981 View Post
good thing i came back and read your second post. the first one talked me into a dunesport, the second one talked me out of one.

just my experience with them, wasn't a good one and many seem to be happy with theirs. if you find a used one and look it over well (as one should with all used toyhaulers) then most likely they have all the issues repaired. it is a shame as the company has real potential but lacking in to many area's imo. the roof is just in excusable imo ! as this is our floor plan it fits our wants to the letter but i will not buy another from them. i didn't write the review to bash them, just to inform others of our experience so they could make a more informed decision before putting a deposit down. i am glad the information was helpful.

i have repaired all but 2 items at this point. not looking forward to pulling that furnace out!
Old 12-31-2022, 08:25 AM   #8

there is no bright side to a roof leak but upon opening the front wall along with the upper corner ( as seen in the rumble video link above ) i discovered a large empty void behind my wife's closet. rather then radiusing the top rear corners of her closet to match the ceiling, they just boxed it out. so there was 1 foot deep by 18" wide empty box behind it. i would've pre ferred the extra 1 foot of walk space in front of the bed but it is what it is. i was able to add 1 foot deep by 14" wide shelves in side her closet while the front wall was apart. a closet with in a closet, sort of. i also added some thermal foil behind the insulation in that front wall. while i had it apart to dry everything out.

i also cut a hole in the base of the bed storage area to add a pull out drawer to hold a clothes hamper for dirty clothes.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:45 AM   #10

Thank you for the first post and getting back to after a year of having.
I almost went that company rout 6 years ago when i went full timing.
Something for some reason changed my mind on getting a camper from them.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelorer99 View Post
Thank you for the first post and getting back to after a year of having.
I almost went that company rout 6 years ago when i went full timing.
Something for some reason changed my mind on getting a camper from them.

they are the only company i have found to get a custom floor plan from. we enjoy the unit for that reason alone. the company has real potential but just cannot seem to get there for some reason. i wasn't posting that to sway people one way or another, just to give some real info of atleast one persons experience. their interiors are bland and that is no big deal to us. when i say bland, i mean everything is the same color. rather then using seam tape they use trim slats like the old trailer houses used to or the early campers. ok, not the end of the world as this will get used for sand dune trips and not a full time camper. the cabinet doors are not real wood, they are some sort of pressed paper. no big deal as long as they work. very easy to strip a screw if you try and adjust them though and now i know why they don't . simple fix, a drop of wood glue and a small chunk of a wooden tooth pick and all good.

they let you option in what you need rather then packages full of expensive pieces you don't need. that a huge plus imo and they will let you move cabinets and choose different sizes. the roof ac units are very quiet and very efficient. are installed remote control only. the digital control panels are mounted to the face of the units. i looked up the manufacturers site and they offer an extension wire harness to mount those control panels to walls. based on my experience with dune sport and the awning debacle, i doubt they know about the extension harness. the remote controls work just fine and no big deal but i still prefer a hard wired control as batteries go dead.

with a new camper i expect to have small issues as they all do. crooked cabinet doors should not happen but they do. trim comes loose and doors need adjusting. the appliances should all work and be tested before leaving as well but can still have some failures. apprx 6 month in and on our 2nd trip went to use the furnace for the first time and it didn't work. hadn't worked since installed, blower comes on but no heat. i emailed and was informed there is no warranty on appliances. by that point, i wasn't surprised at their response. i suppose it's my fault for not flying down and bench testing the furnace for them. also, some additional caulking here and there and loose fixtures as well as water lines that needed re tightening etc etc etc. none of those little things bother me. i even understand that a roof can leak on a new unit but shouldn't if installed correctly. the ramp gate should be sealed up but i can even see that needing adjustment. they cut the gasket a couple inches short and that tech new he did. all but the furnace are annoying small issues imo.

i know from experience that the local independent rv techs around here won't work with the manufacturer on warranty claims. not even dometic or lci let alone rv manufacturers. they all say the same thing, manufacturers claim they are over charging. so you have to pay for the repairs and submit the bill for reimbursement. i opt to repair everything i can personally for this reason. shouldn't be that way but i know it is.

what i didn't expect, was the way the company treated me after the sale. blaming me for there mistakes and lack of knowledge of there own products. when i told them the medicine cabinet was flopping 1" they instantly told me they " lag " them in and they are mounted properly. didnt ask for video or pictures before making any statement just instantly blamed it on rough roads. i sent video and they finally admitted that was on them. the awning, they blamed me for not knowing they were going to use short side arms for a slide in truck camper. they said they had to move it up to clear the side patio.......true, but thats why you select the longer arms. they thought there was only one size set of awning arms because that is all they have a part # for.....until i showed them dometics site listing 5 diff lengths. that is what they said of course.

they offer winches installed to the floor. i had no idea they didn't know how to actually install them or wire them in. i had no idea they would install a rt swing door in place of a custom ordered left swing. then blame the customer for not instantly catching it via final production pictures then sent. i showed them it was not only on the invoice but in the cad print and some how missed all 4 of there claimed full inspections. they don't tell customers that they do not insulate their floors. upon receiving the toyhauler i saw that they didn't and sent an email asking why it hadn't been insulated. might have been a little upset when i sent that email as there were other issues found at that time. basically, that was my fault for not asking prior and told as none of the plumbing is underneath the floor they do not need to.

as they do not insulate the floors, every tie down they installed left holes in the plastic underlining. the tie downs are meant for open deck trailers and have drain holes in them. not only could dust come in while on back roads or gravel roads but a small amount of water can while driving in the rain. not to mention water wicking into the wood floor. on the entire length of the drivers side, they drilled holes through the floor to bolt the wall down. for some unknown reason, the tech drill apprx 15 holes in between each out rigger. they are supposed to be bolted to the out riggers, luckily someone caught that mistake and re drilled the holes and bolted them to the outriggers. they did not seal up all the mis drilled holes and i guess just expected the customer to find and seal all of them on top of the 6 floor tie down holes. i had to lower one tank to seal 2 of the tie downs. all of those spots will let water wick into the wood floor while driving in the rain. i spent an afternoon inspecting the underside after that. didn't even notify them of that as i had already been told i was a nit picker, complainer and hard to deal with customer..... i simply expected to receive what i paid for. must have ran our of caulking while sealing the side patio wall up. i caught that right away and sealed it up, no big deal all in all but i did email them to notify them. i did not email to complain, just letting them know to hopefully avoid future problems on the assembly line. i even stated no big deal to fix.

imo, based on my experience only, i believe they are lacking in customer service.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:17 AM   #12

im pretty sure sundowner and shadow trailer works will do custom designs also, but, theyre way more money. we use sundowners oilfield special trailers and work and theyre absolute tanks.
john1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:08 PM   #13

I hope i didnt come of as downing the company, as that wasnt my intent.
Dune Sport is one of the few that still make an open concept type toy hauler, as most have a sealed type by a door or slider doors or curtain.
For ease of loading a heavy type buggy, try double shiving. Its when you add a block with hook to the cable and put the hook back on the winch. Its slow, but eases the winch motor.
I was looking at toy haulers when i started full timing 7 years ago, but went with tossing the Harley in the trk bed, 8 foot bed and a simple 26 foot TT.
I used a portable winch double shived to load fully controlled and normal winch, just cable, to lower it down the ramp.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelorer99 View Post
I hope i didnt come of as downing the company, as that wasnt my intent.
Dune Sport is one of the few that still make an open concept type toy hauler, as most have a sealed type by a door or slider doors or curtain.
For ease of loading a heavy type buggy, try double shiving. Its when you add a block with hook to the cable and put the hook back on the winch. Its slow, but eases the winch motor.
I was looking at toy haulers when i started full timing 7 years ago, but went with tossing the Harley in the trk bed, 8 foot bed and a simple 26 foot TT.
I used a portable winch double shived to load fully controlled and normal winch, just cable, to lower it down the ramp.
No you did not come off that way.

You as well as anyone else are entitled to your own opinions and I would never ask for anything other then an honest opinion.

Tags
purchase