RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #1

Purchased new toy hauler today

Today my wife and I purchased a 2021 carbon 348 fifth wheel toy hauler. I purchased a new f350 srw diesel in November to tow it. I trailered it home empty (12,300) lbs and couldn't have been happier with how well the truck handled the camper. We went with the blue ox 20k slider hitch as well. Fun times ahead hopefully!
Elev8torguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2021, 09:07 PM   #2

very nice, congratulations and i hope it works perfectly
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
very nice, congratulations and i hope it works perfectly
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2021, 10:58 PM   #4

Enjoy the trips
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #5

The auto leveling seems like it will make setting up a special kind of simple lol.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #6

auto level would be very nice. you'll enjoy that feature for sure! is it electric or hydraulic ?
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:56 AM   #7

Hydraulic.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #8

I picked up my new Raptor toy hauler in early March, just before the country went nuts. I had ordered so there were several things that changed my UVW. I got body paint, dual pane windows, deleted the patio system, queen bed (mattress swapped on pickup with the one from the motorhome trade in), and added slide awnings before taking possession. The UVW on the side sticker was actually a bit less than the web site published UVW but my adds, awnings, 2 batteries, propane) changed that anyway. My tow vehicle at the time was a 2017 Ram 3500 SRW LB CC Laramie diesel and I had an auxiliary fuel transfer tank in the bed, 51g. I weighed at the local CAT scales on the way home, full fuel all the way around, and was very close to my RAWR, VERY close.

I figured that loading the garage would cause a significant weight shift off the pin. Garage had HD motorcycle and my tools/extra stuff with an estimated weight of 1200-1400#. In August I took a trip and loaded for camping, weighed at a CAT scales along the way and I was over my 7000# RAWR, just under my tire weight ratings, and right at my payload (based on sticker in door jamb 4207#). Again full fuels and only 30+-g fresh water and empty waste tanks. Full fridge though. That is just me on the trip, no significant other, pets, kids, etc in the truck.

Bottom line for me based on actual weights at a CAT scales I was at the ragged edge of weights with the SRW. My garage loading had much less pin weight shift than I was expecting, maybe 20% change. Had I filled the fresh water tank, heavily loaded the basement storage area, put less weight in the garage, I would have been significantly overloaded on both truck RAWR, payload, tire weight ratings, etc. FWIW it towed "just fine" very stable and strong, BUT I didn't want to be at that ragged edge especially with little water on board. In November I traded the SRW for a 2020 Ram DRW with the HO and AISIN. Only a couple of short trips so far and still need to hit the scales but with the payload margin, I'll be good. But I will go to the CAT scales in March on my next trip.

If you haven't actually weighed, I suggest doing so. Published weights are a fantasy of the manufacturer.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elev8torguy View Post
The auto leveling seems like it will make setting up a special kind of simple lol.
If you'll search about the leveling system you will find lots of useful information. I suggest getting some blocks to put under the legs so they don't have to hyper extend to get level. On mine the fronts are the worst. More stable with the struts not so extended. Some parks require blocks under jacks anyway. Yes auto-level is a nice feature after you calibrate it.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, toy hauler