Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:29 PM   #1

Ram 2500

OK so I am new here. Bought a 2021 4WD RAM 2500 diesel Big Horn crew cab and have the CURT Q20 5th wheel hitch. 5r is a new 2021 Wolf Pack 355PACK14 for weekend trips. Will be loading by Harley in the back.

Trailer specs indicate dry weight of 12988# and pin weight at 3050#. I believe the truck can tow 20k#, not sure the pin weight.

Anyone have a similar setup? Any issues?
Thanks
Jwhitelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #2

Youíre not going to like the answer. Your entire payload capacity is not more than 2050lbs. Rear axle capacity is 6040 and base weight is 3060. Those numbers are only valid if you havenít added a single accessory to the truck.

That is way too much trailer for a 2500.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/chryslermed...rhh9udegr4.pdf
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #3

The truck does have the toe package. I was told by the stealer that it had close to 20k to capacity and about 4k in payload. I'm confused, or was lied to.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:00 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Open up the drivers door and look for the yellow and white "Tire and Loading Information" sticker. Find the phrase "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXXX". That is the available payload as equipped from the factory. Anything extra you've added is deducted from that. 250/2500 diesels seem to be in the low to mid 2000's for payload depending on the trim level.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #5

If you were talking to a salesman then they were only lying to you if their lips were moving. It does sound like you do not have enough truck.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:22 PM   #6

What he said. Does your truck have the air suspension option? If not, itís no more capable of towing that rig than mine is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Open up the drivers door and look for the yellow and white "Tire and Loading Information" sticker. Find the phrase "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXXX". That is the available payload as equipped from the factory. Anything extra you've added is deducted from that. 250/2500 diesels seem to be in the low to mid 2000's for payload depending on the trim level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29402A2F-9C92-41CF-9A5A-3E9F7CA1C35F.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	343099  
jondrew55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
What he said. Does your truck have the air suspension option? If not, itís no more capable of towing that rig than mine is.

The factory air suspension would make it worse, because it would be spitting the overload warning at you and just shut off. Even if it didnít, the truck is probably over the rear axle capacity with the hitch and occupants.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:01 PM   #8

That Wolf Pack has a GVWR of 16,995#
That is 3000# more then what you should be towing with that 2021 RAM 2500

Dry Pin means NOTHING.....that is for empty trailer as it leaves factory
WET Pin on that 17K trailer will be closer to 3700# which will exceed your Trucks RAWR (6000 RAWR)

Nothing you can do to safely tow that heavy 5th wheel with your RAM 2500

One or other needs to be changed
Ram 3500 DUALLY
OR
Lighter toyhauler.....14K GVWR MAX

Too little/too much--------------
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhitelaw View Post
OK so I am new here. Bought a 2021 4WD RAM 2500 diesel Big Horn crew cab and have the CURT Q20 5th wheel hitch. 5r is a new 2021 Wolf Pack 355PACK14 for weekend trips. Will be loading by Harley in the back.

Trailer specs indicate dry weight of 12988# and pin weight at 3050#. I believe the truck can tow 20k#, not sure the pin weight.

Anyone have a similar setup? Any issues?
Thanks
You have heard the bad news about the numbers. I assume you already have the fiver.

About the only thing you can do is load up your Harley and run your rig across the scales. Every major truck stop has a CAT scale out back and it will only cost you $10 to $15. Make sure they get you on correctly to give you your truck's steer axle weight, your truck's drive axle weight, and if possible your total trailer axles weights (combined). Of course they will also print out your total weight.

Not sure if your TH fiver is a 2 axle or 3 axle, but you may find that the Harley in the back takes some pin weight off or at least keeps it the same as when the trailer is empty. On my toy hauler the entire weight of my Harley sites behind my rear axle.

If you find that 3/4 ton squats too much there are solutions to help that but these solutions won't increase your towing capacity. Firestone air bags can be installed to level you out while towing.

Good luck and let us know what you get done or find out.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry that you found the hard truth of the 3/4 ton trucks. They can pull a lot, but are limited in the payload capacity, thus limited on 5er pin weight.

Also sad that the stupid dealers do not understand that towing is a two part equation. One is the amount that you can pull and the second is how much weight can the truck carry.

Looks like you will be in the market fro more truck or less trailer.

Ken
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
You have heard the bad news about the numbers. I assume you already have the fiver.

About the only thing you can do is load up your Harley and run your rig across the scales. Every major truck stop has a CAT scale out back and it will only cost you $10 to $15. Make sure they get you on correctly to give you your truck's steer axle weight, your truck's drive axle weight, and if possible your total trailer axles weights (combined). Of course they will also print out your total weight.

Not sure if your TH fiver is a 2 axle or 3 axle, but you may find that the Harley in the back takes some pin weight off or at least keeps it the same as when the trailer is empty. On my toy hauler the entire weight of my Harley sites behind my rear axle.

If you find that 3/4 ton squats too much there are solutions to help that but these solutions won't increase your towing capacity. Firestone air bags can be installed to level you out while towing.

Good luck and let us know what you get done or find out.

This so a good point. My pin weight only changes by about 100 LBs in either direction depending on the load. The fresh tank is directly above the axles, the fuel station is behind, and most of the garage is behind.

I think heís going to be over the truckís RAWR with the hitch and dry trailer.
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM   #12

I have a solution. The truck you have bought is highly desirable (a brand new Ram 2500). You could sell it outright or trade it for a 3500 for a minimum of pain dollar wise. I’d think 3500s are not as much in demand (I could be dead wrong).

Don’t feel bad. My truck came with the 5th wheel prep package so I assume a 5th wheel was doable if I ever decided to move up from my little Airstream. Then I realized that there are virtually no 5th wheels I could actually tow per the specs.

Oh, by the way. I see plenty of 3/4 ton trucks at the campgrounds pulling 5’ers. I don’t question anyone about it. Usually just leave it at “Good looking truck!”
jondrew55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #13

Yes I have air bags
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #14

Thank you. I have bags going in this week. I will be going to the scales.