Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #1

Looking at a couple Raptor 3712 TH's from different dealers---How much luck have you guys had with making,as part of the deal , the switch from 15" tires and wheels to 16". Are the dealers agreeable or was there an add on to the price for the switch? I would feel much more comfortable with 16's. Will probably pay the difference if necessary, but just wondering how most of you did it.

2006 F350 Lariat DRW CC LB FX4 6.0 4.30
Russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #2

I should have updated signature---250 is now wifes daily driver---My new TV is a 2006 F 350 DRW, CC, FX4, 6.0, 4.30

Old 08-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #3

Russc! First of all, welcome to iRV2! We think you'll find these forums very imformative and enjoyable!

I don't know about the Raptors, but WW wanted $2700 for a 15" to 16" swap...I figured I could do it alot cheaper, but haven't got around to it yet. I need to do something- the springs have settled and after putting on the airbags, I'm not as level as I once was.

Hey...and congrats on the new TowBoss!!! How long have you had it?

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:10 PM   #4

Thanks for the come back Sean. I have had the Tow Boss for about 3 months now, and have towed several times with it. The towing difference between it and the 250 KR is amazing. I knew the stability would be better, but never thought how much towing difference it would make.

I'm talking with two different dealers right now, but one of the dealers is trying to convince me that the 15" X 3 axles is all I would ever need. The second is looking into what he can do to help and still sell the unit. I'll keep you guys posted.

Since I am looking I have also begun to check on what dealers around here sell the WW. You guys sure seem to like the heck out of yours.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey, welcome aboard Russc. If I could get a deal I'd put the 16's on. Its not so much the load carrying but the types of tires and the quality of tires that really opens up when you go to 16's. You are very limited with the 15's. I just had to replace mine and there are only a couple of brands that seem to be worth anything, the rest are junk tires made in China.

Again, welcome to our little piece of the world.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:57 AM   #6

WOW, 2700 upgrade. I'd get the stock unit, swap the rims and tires and sell the new take off's and recoupe some of that money.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:28 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
6 each LT235/85R-16E Michelin XPS Rib @ roughly $225/tire = $1350

6 each 16" wheels @ let's say $75/wheel = $450

Looks to me like one could convert a triple axle rig to what is arguably the best E-rated 16" tire and wheel combo available for around $1800 tops, not counting the resale value of the 15" take-offs.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:47 AM   #8

BB: I'm still wondering about those Eagles we talked about- you've got a PM that I sent you back in January you never answered! I'll re-send it to you...

Rusty: No doubt...I was almost going to have WW do the swap for me, but the ONE THING they DON'T do is give you credit for the 15" setup- that's why it's so expensive and why I decided not to do it yet- might as well get some use out of the 15's. Oh...and one modification they do is add the 2x2 steel tubing to raise the coach up for clearance for the 16"'s- that's it. The setup you've detailed out here is exactly what I've been looking at, although I'm just a little hesitant to spend the $$$ for the XPS Ribs because in most cases, RV tires don't wear out from use- it's the atmosphere that dooms them. Replacing them on a regular basis is prolly the best thing you can do for "insurance".
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:56 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
The real advantage of the XPS Rib is that, unlike the fabric-and-steel 16" LT tires that come as standard equipment on many 5th wheels, the all-steel-construction XPS Ribs have pretty much solved the tread separation problem associated with heavily-loaded 5th wheels. Quite a few individuals with tread separation problems have gone to the XPS Ribs, and I've never seen anyone report anything other than excellent results.

I changed out the fabric-and-steel LT235/85R-16E Goodyear Wrangler HTs that came on my previous 5th wheel to the XPS Ribs, and the temperature difference after long Interstate runs was amazing. Money well spent, IMHO.

Why am I sensitive to this issue? I went through a tread separation 3 5th wheels ago - the damage was $2500!!

Rusty
Old 08-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #10

A friend of mine has 4 month old 3612 Raptor. After weighing his rig fully loaded he became concerned becuase he has very near the maximum GVWR of the trailer. So he bought 3 new 6,000 lb axles, and moved up to load range E tires. Not sure what size or brand. Sounds like a good move to me.
At least your looking at 3 axles. My Forest River only has 2 and I am running load range G tires with 7000 lb axles. I,m under my GVWR by about a 1000 lbs. but I would like a larger safety factor.
Larry
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
If you're running the all-steel-construction G-rated LT235/85R-16G Goodyear G614 RST, I wouldn't panic yet. They are OEM on my current 5th wheel and have given excellent service so far.

Rusty
Old 08-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #12

Forrest River put Greenball's Highway Trooper LT235/85R16G tires on the trailer for me about 1 1/2 years ago as part of axle, tire upgrade (no charge to me). I'm not sure if they are "all-steel-construction". I couldn't find a detail description on the Greenball web site. Does anybody know? I thought I was ok until about 3 weeks ago when we where passing through downtown Las Vegas, right in the heat of the day (110F or so), when we had a tire blow out. Destroyed the plastic fender skirt and dented aluminum lower panels. I had checked the tire pressure before we left in morning and it was right on at 110 psi. It was a true blow out because we heard a "BOOM" and I looked in the mirror & saw plastic & rubber flying. I have experienced tread separation before with the original tires supplied with the trailer before the upgrade, but the tires never blew out, I always caught it shortly after the tread came off. So I don't know if this was from hitting something which would cause a blow out or if it was the exteme heat. Probably the exteme heat which has me questioning the remaining tires as they may have been deteriated from the conditions they went through. I do have 2 spare tires, so we were able to finish our trek to Utah. Figuring it would be difficult to locate a load range "G" tire in my size I called Forrest River the next day and they were great and had a new Greenball tire shipped to the campground we were staying in. Upon receipt I found somebody to mount it and was able proceed home knowing I had both my spares. However I made sure we were not on the road during the heat of the day.
Larry
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #13
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
We got our Desert Fox with Mission 205/75R15 tires on it only rated at C and we blew 2 on a trip less then 500 miles apart. Went down when I could and got load range D 715/75R15 s feel safer we were also close to full weight when we added the Wing to the mix. If all else fails check the weights and see if its to close to the limit.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:42 PM   #14

Russc,
Sorry for the long delay. Our rig has essentially been "in the shop" since your original post.

Short story version: 6000 mile round trip in June/July '06. At mile 580 FIRST Carlisle bias ply D range delaminated, middle tire right side. Extensive side damage to trailer. Made it to our journey destination began return trip...around Missoula MT second tire delams. More trailer damage, more road side repairs via tie downs and duct tape. Return to dealer. Go through two "service mgrs"....internal stuff but bounced our account and story around without progress to repair. Bill estimate in the vicinity of $1700 plus one tire purchased enroute.

We have had our RAPTOR 3712 at home (for visitors use) a total of 30 days plus the trip tis summer....call it 60 days of availability out of 300+ days of ownership. Final work in progress (so we're told), might be ready by Friday 02 FEB.
Slideout leaks, 50 AMP buss kick outs while slides move in or out, stuck valves, doors not aligned, facia torn by slides, refer trim falling off...the list is long and details many. Bottom line? Mfgr and dealer risked my family's lives by selling a POS with under rated tires. Bias ply load range D times 6 = just barely over GVWR...no margin for error. Our TOYHAULER contained 4 bicycles and a BBQ in back!!! At Flyin J scales, truck, full tank, kids, wife, dogs and I plus trailer = 23, 850lbs. Truck pulls fine, stops fine...mileage sucks bad! 7.5 to 9 mpg running 65-70mph mostly from WA to IL and back. K&N FIPK intake and Manga flow open muffler on a 4" inch pipe that starts at the turbo and runs out to the stock location...but way more smooth. Add to that 1/2 and 1/2 "TOW" and "RACE" settings on the EDGE programmer (ie step 1 and step 2 of 3 settings). Hoped for better mileage...didn't see it.

Carlisle made good on damage. Still awaiting dealer/mfgr "call" for extremely long repair time. Not sure a logical man would accept 240 days of shop time as truly "LOGICAL" or acceptable.

I'll get back to you when the "fat lady has sung".

2007 Raptor 3712
Desert Sailor 06 is offline   Reply With Quote