Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #1

Re-configure Happi-Jack bunks

We've got Happi-Jack queen bunks in our camper. We'll likely never use both bunks but occasionally would use one. I know I can dismount the lower bunk (and I'd like to) to shave some weight but the upper bunk stops at 57 inches off the floor. Anyone we'd have along other than the grandkids really wouldn't be able to access the bunk at this height. So, ideally, I'd like to be able to bring the bunk down to 35 inches (step stool access) but still be able to raise it up to the height of the stow position upper bunk. Anyone know of this being done or if it's even possible?
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsutherland View Post
We've got Happi-Jack queen bunks in our camper. We'll likely never use both bunks but occasionally would use one. I know I can dismount the lower bunk (and I'd like to) to shave some weight but the upper bunk stops at 57 inches off the floor. Anyone we'd have along other than the grandkids really wouldn't be able to access the bunk at this height. So, ideally, I'd like to be able to bring the bunk down to 35 inches (step stool access) but still be able to raise it up to the height of the stow position upper bunk. Anyone know of this being done or if it's even possible?
I going to have a th built and Im using the garage as a living space for myself. Ill be deleating the 2 lower bunk benches and just having the big upper bed. From all the forums I've been on that talk about this they all say that there is some stopper bolt in the Trac that you just relocate to a lower setting , or where you want your bed to stop at. Also from my understanding, how low you go has nothing to do with how high it will go, to touch the ceiling.., but again i don't currently own a th, just a fiver
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #3

billet bee is correct, there are some stops in the tract. you can remove the bottom bunk and pull the stops. then the uppwer will come down to the lower limit switchns on the side of the tract. the do offer what is referred to as a reversable couch. it sits side ways on the bunk mount. it is a 4 adualt couch as its 80" long. the back folds over to make a residential queen bed too. this is not mount against the wall. its left to right so while sitting on the couch you face the front of the camper. these are much nicer if the tv is mounted facing the ramp gate as well as other reasons.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #4

i thought about this a little. so the hapijac beds are controlled a few ways. would need to know which way your is to say. some the lower bunk comes all the way down. the lower bunk lifts the upper and you put pins through the rails to holes it in place. some use metal stops and the lower trolly clears thos where the uppers do not. some just limit switches. these switches are usually 2 wire switch's. very small gauge wire as in 20g ish but can be spliced or you can buy diff length ones from hapijac and replace the whole assy and into a diff hole on the rail. the rails i have worked with had pre drilled holes to mount the limit switch's in diff locations.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #5

Old 04-09-2021, 07:25 PM   #6

You folks are awesome!!! I had looked over the system we've got several times before I posted and really couldn't determine what was stopping the bunk travel. My set up doesn't have any discernable switches or wires either in or on the outside of the track but it does have a bronze colored stop that limits how far the upper bunk comes down. No holes in the track for pins though when shopping for toy haulers in Phoenix we did see some with them. Wondering if I shouldn't add some just for safety. So, If I remove the bottom bunk and move the stops for the upper bunk to my desired lower height I theoretically should have one bunk that raises to ceiling height but lowers to an accessible height for my geriatric friends! (I have no idea how they got so damn old) Sounds pretty customizable I hope. Thanks again folks!
Old 04-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #7

Thinking about this a bit more....If I remove the top bed I may not have to even remove the stops that limit the travel of the of the top bed 'cause the bottom bed passes over them anyway. Any thoughts on this? Thanks all! This weather sure has got me itchy to pause working on this rig and get to the lake!
Old 04-11-2021, 09:01 AM   #8

really depends on the setup you have but should be possible one way or another. normally there is a tiny limit switch that is inside the rail. could be on the rear rail up against the back wall. normally that switch shut the motor off so you don't keep trying to roll it down etc etc. normally the lower bunk raises the top bunk and lowers it. again hard to say for sure w/o out knowing which you have but if the bottom bunk down lower and raise the upper then just remove the upper.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:38 AM   #9

When I ordered the Raptor I got it without the "patio system" but did order the HappiJac bed and upper bed platform. Before delivery I had them remove the upper platform and put it on the garage floor and I took it out and stored in my house garage. Why? It'll never be used as a bed and with it up, it blocks the air flow from the garage air conditioner. If/when I sell I'll put it back in.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #10

Many thanks dsrace! Indeed there is a limit switch on the back, right track rail that contacts the lower bunk to limit down travel and the upper bunk to limit up travel. Thanks to the input of this forum I think I'll move forward with this project and remove the top bed. At first I thought I would simply remove the bottom bunk but that would have been a big mistake! Thanks all!