Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #1

Rear patio awning yea or nay

We're going to have a big old 48' luxe th built in another month, we ful time RV Ann's thks is going to be or last forever home. The garage area will be a completely finished out second master bedroom with a ful size master bath. We plan on hailing a smart car ijn the garage area when we travel. Were getting the side patio wich has an awning over it and probably were we will spend most of our od time. I will be getting rear glass veranda doors for the back door/ patio for when were able to find a spot long enough were i can always leave the rear Patio down.
So here lies my question for everyone to chime in on.
We're debating on the rear awning option for $1200, how many people actually put that awning out and how often?
I'd say 99.9% of th i see have the rear awning , but I can't imagine that well ever put it out, especially with the covered side patio.
I know the best time to have this done its now during the build, but I'm not into paying for stuff ill only use twice ayr. There's numerous things on the build that I'm deleting as its stuff well never need or use.
All opinions welcome
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #2

We have one on our thunderbolt425 and have only had it out a couple times. It really doesn’t come out far enough to provide much shade when sitting on the patio.
Linelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linelife View Post
We have one on our thunderbolt425 and have only had it out a couple times. It really doesn’t come out far enough to provide much shade when sitting on the patio.
That's what the pictuers look like also. I'm normally of the mentality to get as much as I can, but with this being a pretty high priced fiver, we are trying to get all the newest technology's and the things that we know that well use. Being ful timers we do more living than camping. Plus we kind of figure if we want to sit out under cover we can sit on the side patio. On the other hand if its one of those things that people are like, you got you have one of those, than ill consider it. Honestly we haven't seen that many people using there's rear awnings.
I did once in New Mexico see a guy get his ripped off by high winds because he forgot it and the whole mechanism broke off the rv and went about 25' up in the air and came down and harpooned his brand new 450 right on the hood😂
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:16 PM   #4

We put ours out whenever the patios set up, which isnt really all that often.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
We put ours out whenever the patios set up, which isnt really all that often.
Ty. I figured our side patio would be out most of the time but the rear patio being put out on a 48' th is going to require quite the site, but it will be nice when we can leave it out
Old 03-22-2021, 03:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Ty. I figured our side patio would be out most of the time but the rear patio being put out on a 48' th is going to require quite the site, but it will be nice when we can leave it out
I can say i wouldnt want the patio without the awning, but i also wouldnt want a th without the patio. We passed on a bunch without it. I also dont have the side deck. Wed probably use the rear patio alot more if the kids didnt live out of that room.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I can say i wouldnt want the patio without the awning, but i also wouldnt want a th without the patio. We passed on a bunch without it. I also dont have the side deck. Wed probably use the rear patio alot more if the kids didnt live out of that room.
That's exactly what I'm thinking also. With the garage being finished off as our second master bedroom for me. I know I'll raise my bed everyday , but I figure the only time the rear patio will be down is on super sites so I can leave it open and look out veranda doors. I would say our side patio will always be down and used first but I don't want to skip an option if its a must have that people use whenever there bac k there, I just wouldn't assume I would use it very often
Old 03-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #8

Here is my take on it... after plunking down all that money on a Luxe custom built coach, the little extra to add the awning is probably only 1 percent of your sales price.

Don't look back and wonder if such a small price is really worth leaving something off of your dream.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
Here is my take on it... after plunking down all that money on a Luxe custom built coach, the little extra to add the awning is probably only 1 percent of your sales price.

Don't look back and wonder if such a small price is really worth leaving something off of your dream.
I agree with you on its our retirement and our dream but thers probably a dozen things that I've deleted or not done because based on our 5 yrs of ful timing so far . I definitly agree that now is the time to get it, but all those $1200-$8500 options add up to tens of thousands of stuff ill have to use or maintain if i don't. Now if I need it or know well use it then ill get it hands down and pay the $1200 With no regrets, but I don't hardly ever see anybody with there's open plus we are not one of those people that always leaves our main awning out all the time.,I might put the big awning out for any hour in the evening setting sun and that's it, so for those reasons is why i question the add. I'll say as a guy that, well it looks cool and the back of the rv looks more decked out with it up there, but unfortunately for us were more practical than just what looks cool, lol
Also you Didn't add, is your rv a th with a patio and do you use your awning and how often
Old 03-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #10

Yes, back patio. We have a 2021 Momentum 395 MS-R. We were looking for a two patio set up but wife fell in love with floor plan, mainly the kitchen.

It was purchased in December. As full timers we follow the weather so it went straight to Arizona and we shifted between quartzsite and Parker. The patio was used everyday that we could. I used the patio awning to help keep the garage area cool but not to keep the sun off us. I would get the awning for when you can use it to help keep it cooler inside.

I love the patio, wished the awning was sturdier but it did get used. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210206_092255.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	322303
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
Yes, back patio. We have a 2021 Momentum 395 MS-R. We were looking for a two patio set up but wife fell in love with floor plan, mainly the kitchen.

It was purchased in December. As full timers we follow the weather so it went straight to Arizona and we shifted between quartzsite and Parker. The patio was used everyday that we could. I used the patio awning to help keep the garage area cool but not to keep the sun off us. I would get the awning for when you can use it to help keep it cooler inside.

I love the patio, wished the awning was sturdier but it did get used. Attachment 322303
Ty ktn , nice view out back for sure. I agree that there not that sturdy. I do wish they folded out more as well. Never thought of it as creating a cover to produce an interior breeze. Nice point. We almost invested in gd 4 years ago. I still like there look. Enjoy and appreciate your view
Old 03-23-2021, 11:15 AM   #12
Community Moderator

We use our rear awning allot. Even with the side patio we use the rear awning allot. What I use it for to help reduce the heat on the back entry. it gives a good amount of shade and with the lights on at night it helps when we are out there instead of on the side patio. Depends on which way the wind blows, on which patio we use in the afternoon/night.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
We use our rear awning allot. Even with the side patio we use the rear awning allot. What I use it for to help reduce the heat on the back entry. it gives a good amount of shade and with the lights on at night it helps when we are out there instead of on the side patio. Depends on which way the wind blows, on which patio we use in the afternoon/night.
Ty, good point, nice to be able to have two options based on the direction of the wind
Old 03-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #14

My old toyhauler was produced before manufacturers had even thought about patio decks, so of course it has no has no provisions for an awning. I like the idea of shade back there, so I have always just set up a portable umbrella. Not fancy, but it works for me. May be a low-cost alternative to think about since you are not sure if you would even use the awning.
[IMG][/IMG]

Tags
awning, rear