Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #1

Shocks on triple axle toy hauler

Recently I discovered a shock kit designed for trailers to compliment the spring system. Pricey though.

After watching my old toy hauler fall apart over time, I thought maybe these would have value.

Any experience or thoughts on this?

Thank you.
b140957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #2

Anything that can help absorb the jolt is worthwhile to me. Short of having the MorRyde IS system, a good rubber equalizer system, or the Trailair CenterPoint system and shocks is the way to go if you can pay the price.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have access to any type of equipment or even make some bolt on plates out of wood then take them to a metal shop it will cost you a lot less to build shock mounts than to buy kits. I've done it for a few TT and it's fairly easy.

If you are the least bit interested I can send some pictures of what I've built and how to do it. It wouldn't cost you more that the price of 4 shocks and some metal plates at probably $13 to $20 each.

If you're still hesitant send me some pics of your set up axles, frame suspension etc from different positions and angles and I'll give you some pointers of where and how to do it. I can even give you a call and talk you through it. It's really not all that difficult.

TeJay
Old 10-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

TeJay, I would be very interested in seeing what I can do on my 2016 388 Momentum to add shocks. Well that effect my warranty? I can weld and make anything with a little guidance.
bhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can send you more pictures and communicate a lot easier by e-mail. Send that then I'll send you what I have for pics on my TT which we traded a few years ago.

Then you can send me some pics of the axle set up and we can go from there.

When attaching to frames it's best to drill and bolt if possible. Welding is OK but it may compromise the strength of the frame. I've done it but with three axles you've got some weight. When I bolt to a frame if I make a 2" X3" plate for a bracket I always make a 2" X 3" plate and put it on the other side of the frame rail as additional support. I may make the bracket out of 1/2" plate and the backing plate out of 1/4" but you get the idea. All bolts are 7'16" or 1/"2, torqued and blue lock tight as well.

Over on the Ford F-53 forums I put together a rear track bar design from some that I had seen on line. A commercial one can cost $400-$600. This was about $45. Been on the MH for about 10,000 miles with no troubles. I posted some pictures and 0ver 40 individuals asked for pictures/directions so I created it's own thread so I wouldn't have to re-type everything.

TeJay
Old 10-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #6

Hello Tejay. I am interested. How do I send you an email or do I just give you mine?
b140957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Here is a system ready to go. Yes, more expensive that fabrication, but set up and ready to install...

Joy Rider
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I always assumed you could just use 2 sets of shocks for 3" axles:
Shock Kit for 3-Inch Axle Tube - Lippert Components Inc 281281 - Shocks - Camping World

Is this not correct?

Your kit looks much beefier - I'll do shocks eventually, wet bolt first..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
CB, from what I've read, the Lippert kit has far too horizontal of an angle to be effective. This is the advantage of the Joy Rider.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #10

Only have a dual axle trailer and I see it has the mounts for shocks incorporated already. Is there a noticeable difference to adding them?
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Start with balancing the wheels/tires first.. go from there.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks