Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #1

Side Load 5th wheel toy hauler

Been shopping for a 32' - 36' 5th wheel toy hauler. I saw an ad for a Dutchmen Denali 330 XRV. It looks really nice in the photos, and I'm thinking the side ramp would be nicer than a rear ramp. I'm hauling one Honda 4 wheeler. Does anyone know if there are other manufacturers who make a side loader in this size range? Any opinions on whether a rear ramp or side ramp would be better? Thanks
FLCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #2

I was told by a salesperson (for whatever that is worth, which isn't much) that manufacturers were having problems with maintaining structural rigidity with the side door toyhauler models. Keystone discontinued theirs and went to a rear door but that could be because of customer demand rather than engineering issues, no way to know for sure. But for whatever reason the side door models seem to be vanishing. My concern would be that in many campground spaces there wouldn't be enough room to deploy a side door, which would rule it out for me.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I was told by a salesperson (for whatever that is worth, which isn't much) that manufacturers were having problems with maintaining structural rigidity with the side door toyhauler models.
Strange. They manage to do side slides and have solved the structural problems. Generally you can tell when a salesman is lying...he moves his lips.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Xrv 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCapt View Post
Been shopping for a 32' - 36' 5th wheel toy hauler. I saw an ad for a Dutchmen Denali 330 XRV. It looks really nice in the photos, and I'm thinking the side ramp would be nicer than a rear ramp. I'm hauling one Honda 4 wheeler. Does anyone know if there are other manufacturers who make a side loader in this size range? Any opinions on whether a rear ramp or side ramp would be better? Thanks
I actually have this unit and we have been very pleased with it, we don't have toys the garage is for our dogs, we trial, show and hunt with our Labs. Be happy to answer any questions.

Regards, Roger
Retreever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #5

As stated above Keystone used to sell a side door model in their Cougar line, but it is no longer available. We looked at it but the trailer was not wide enough for our Yamaha Royal Star (8’1” long). We purchased a Cougar 325SRX in 2011. It is 36’7” long with two slides and we love it. We like to camp in state parks and found out we need to unload or load the bike outside the campsite. Usually when you back into a site there is no room behind the trailer to unload. Unloading and loading can be accomplished while checking in or loading water or empting the waste tanks.

Even though we love our 5th wheel we came across a real steal on a Newmar Dutch Star and have decided to move to a class A. So our 2011 toy hauler is for sale. More info available at http://www.rvt.com/2011-Keystone-325%20Srx-Waynesboro-Pennsylvania-for-sale-ID5238551.htm
Redman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #6

Late response

We have a 2008 KZ New Vision side door toy hauler and love it. This rig is built very well so there are no issues with the structure and the side door is much smaller than a rear door, so it actually should be more solid than a rear door model.

We haul just one Harley motorcycle, so didn't want the wasted space of a 10' to 15' garage. Our 6' garage is plenty to haul the bike, plus we have a washer/dryer combo in the garage as well. This smaller garage leaves a lot more living space inside.

KZ also stopped making the side door models. I was told that it cost a lot of to make these separate models, so they stopped running these during the recession. I see they have brought out limited models with side doors, and since we got ours have seen many other models with them.

By now you likely got your unit, but feel free to ask any questions.
ColoCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never seen a side door toy hauler before...except the 4100's from Newmar -Class A RV's.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

Living with a toy hauler, I would say the side ramp could be a benefit...with some legs on it, you would have a sweet patio on the correct side of the RV, once the garage was empty.

I would like to add that the Dutchmen Denali is a VERY nice towable for the segment. I had a Denali TT before my Class A and loved the quality, design, and included options...like it's standard fully enclosed underbelly for temp protection in a seasons.

If there was a Denali Class A, I think that would have been my choice when upgrading.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #8

Another thing

I saw mentioned about space to open the door when in an RV spot. We had a rear door model previously, and found that depending on the spot, you may have to unload the toy before parking. However, the side door model actually has a smaller door and can be easier to unload while parked than the large rear door model.

We haven't tried to put legs on it to have a patio, and the door is on the other side of a slide out, so it isn't really a good place for a patio. Our awing and front door are on the other side of the slide out, so we use that space for setting up chairs and tables, etc.

One thing that is nice about the side door is being able to open it to put in our hitch or other items we wish to store while camping or when the rig is stored. The side door is much easier to do this with than the large rear door.

Again, this works great for us since we have only one motorcycle, but may not work for those who have multiple toys . . .
ColoCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies. We purchased a 2009 Montana Mountaineer 347 THT - which has a rear ramp. The ramp door is not the whole rear of the trailer, it is over to the right side, and is not too tall, it has a folding extension with legs. We can get our four wheeler in, even with a small chest freezer in front of it. There is a desk & drawers on the left side - the water heater is in that corner as well. It's not your standard toy hauler for sure, but it works well for my wife and I. If we ever take off without the four wheeler, we could stick a bunk bed or air mattress in the garage for guests. The couch is also an airbed, but it would be nicer for them to have their own room. The rig is 36' long, which is just about as big as I was willing to go. We drag it places that no sane person would try to take a camper! I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of my 4x4 truck! I never did actually look at a side door model in person, I found this Mountaineer almost by accident, and was able to trade my 2011 Grey Wolf 19rr and a little bit of cash for it. Happy so far!
FLCapt is offline   Reply With Quote