Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2005, 09:55 AM   #1

I'm trying to find a smaller toyhauler that I can pull with my GMC Yukon XL Denali. The only toy that would be in it would be my 500lbs suziki and maybe a friends 350lbs honda cbr. Any suggestions? My 3/4 ton Ram is pulling larger cargo trailers to the same place so I'm looking for something that my wife can tow. (and no, the toys can't fit into the cargo trailer) I'm hoping that you all can give me some suggestions.
mbwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2005, 09:55 AM   #2

I'm trying to find a smaller toyhauler that I can pull with my GMC Yukon XL Denali. The only toy that would be in it would be my 500lbs suziki and maybe a friends 350lbs honda cbr. Any suggestions? My 3/4 ton Ram is pulling larger cargo trailers to the same place so I'm looking for something that my wife can tow. (and no, the toys can't fit into the cargo trailer) I'm hoping that you all can give me some suggestions.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #3

mbwagoner:

Boy...your timing is impeccible...Sandy_Feet and King Salami are selling their FB2200, and it's a beaut and perfect for the two toys you're talking about...they're getting a LE sometime on July. AND...they're about 2- 2 1/2 hours NORTH of you!

Sandy? King?

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
mbwagoner

Welcome to the toyhauler place

The XL Denali is a nice ride.

I'm a little curious as to what else you are hauling to the outback that uses up all the towing capacity of your Dodge 2500,
but if you are using the Yukon for a toyhauler/bike mover I would think you have some very slim options.

It looks like the trailer towing capacity of the XL is 7900 pounds or so, and if you put a second passenger or any gear whatsoever inside the XL like dogs, food, wife's purse, then that towing capacity drops accordingly.
So lets say with your wife brings some of her gear along with her in the XL, its tow capacity is now about 7600 pounds,
... well a number of manufacturers make models in that weight range.

Take Weekend Warrior's Lite Series for example. The FT1900 has a GVWR of 7650 and so does their FK1900. Take a look at those. The hitch weight of models like that is going to be about 10-15% of that figure which the XL could live with, but that GVWR doesn't leave you with a lot of room for bikes (500 pounds), a little water (heavy) or food.

I'll bet you could look around a little bit and find a model thats a little liter then the WW Lite series, but my thinking puts you at the envelope's edge one way or another. i wouldn't be too surprised that with a little research you'de find a toyhauler 500 or 800 pounds liter then the WW even, but you still have a bike or two.

Any chance of getting the trailer behind the Dodge to haul just ONE more bike, and then the XL can concentrate on just finding a LITE small travel trailer instead of a toyhauler. The toyhaulers really seem to attract weight quick.

I'd sure like to hear more as you explore your options. it sounds like you are out there having some fun. Thats a good thing.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #5

sean might have had the better angle,
get the FB2200, which is a very sweet ride by the way, and trade the XL for another truck??
Shoot, you'd probably make money on the XL/truck swap.
Any other way we could help you spend your money??
Old 06-21-2005, 12:58 PM   #6

You know...

FatDog's got a much better handle on the weight issue than I do, but I think you'd be fine with your TV now....Sandy will be able to confirm this for ya!

Sandy?
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #7

I work for a company that does special events and my truck is hauling their stuff, and it's maxed out. We've been traveling together and not been having a problem, except my bike can't come. What changed is my wife is pregnant with twins. We are 30 minutes from our typical event housing so a trailer would give her and the babies some place to nap while I'm working. We were looking at motorcycle trailers and realized this might be an option.

Now there is a second side to this which is all play, but my truck can tow when we are hauling more stuff in the trailer.

Looking at them the FK2100 or the FS2300 would be in the weight capabilities of my Denali. Now to find a good deal on one.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:22 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Looking at them the FK2100 or the FS2300 would be in the weight capabilities of my Denali. Now to find a good deal on one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Twins! Very nice. Got a little free time on your hands do you?

Good thinking to get the wife a comforatable place that she can rest while you are worker-beeing.

And we do work here at my company with some special events companies down here in SanDiego. We've drawn a handful of proposed road-race tracks thru downtown streets and many concert seating layouts at the colleges.

While looking at the Ft, FK, and FS,
keep the weight issue in mind of all the 'stuff' that will eventually find itself coming along in the trailer as well. It sure does. We want the tranny in Mama's ride to stay rock solid.

good luck Pops,
Mike
Old 06-21-2005, 01:30 PM   #9

Our company does Triathlons primarily, mostly between here and San Francisco, but next year we are doing one in Ventura.

Luckily my wife doesn't mind driving anything since she drove city buses for a while and was pulling our old 36ft fifth(which was sold because it was over weight for our truck and because our use of it as temp housing was over).

I'm hoping to find what I want over the winter so I can have it ready for next years season. Just starting my research now. And when we got the Denali we looked at the 3/4 ton Yukon, and she was having none of that for her daily driver. So we're now looking small for her 1/2 ton.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I don't know if this helps any but my FK2100 comes in at about 7100lbs loaded (only 1 50gal tank full of water).
Old 06-22-2005, 08:36 AM   #11

it seems that the super light weight models aren't that much lighter than the normal versions. according to WW the fs2600 & fb2200 are about 500lbs more than the fs2300 empty, but they have a lot more capicity. This means I have to be careful when the denali is towing, but I can load it up when I am pulling with the ram. And since the empty weights are in the low 5k, I have about 2k in payload before hiting the denali's payload.

Does this all make sense? It would open up my options. Thanks King Salami for the info on your trailer. It's exactly what I want, 6-9 months early. Also hoping to find a 2000ish model to save some money.