Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #1

Solar Power to keep Batteries Charged in Storage

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in using solar panels to provide a charging current for their 5th wheel or Toy Hauler batteries during winter storage? I am waiting for a covered and powered storage unit but my only option at the moment is open storage. I would have to take the batteries out and put them in my garage on a trickle charger over the winter months (About three months) and was wondering if solar panels installed on the top of the unit would work for such purposes?

Most of the Winter we get good sunlight but there are a few weeks where cloud cover keeps everything in the local area in shades of grey. Do these type panels convert energy if there is cloud cover?

Thirdly, the technology seems widely available for purchase but I'm leary that service centers may have inadequate experience installing them. I've read some real horror stories about the installs that take months to repair and usually at high costs.
DixielandBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #2

I have solar on top of my trailer. Keeps the batteries charge year round.

When its cloudy or raining here in Souther California, Ill see a slight drop in power from the panels. They usually keep my batteries at 13.5. Lowest I have noticed in rain about 12.5 to 12.2.

My system was already installed when I bought the trailer so I cant really say for install, but I would recommend a factory dealer or reputable RV shop.

This weekend when I get a chance to run by the storage Ill get the brand information for you and some photos.
PyroTekRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161121_101709.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	144885

Here is the control unit that is in our masterbed room. Today is slightly cloudy with on and off rain. I wasnt able to get on the roof for photo of the panels.

Name:	20161121_101747.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	144886

Wiring goes into the main closet then up into the roof.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a MH but the same thing should apply. I have a 130 watt solar panel and 1 - 12v starting battery and 2 - 6v house batteries. I have outdoor storage and this setup has kept my batteries fully charged for 5 plus years now. I still get some charge even on rainy cloudy days.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #5

Solar works for friends. Battery shutoff works for me. Important to exercise your generator at least once a month. I also use the gas pump while running the gen. Just pump back into the tank. No fun to find in-op systems come spring.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
I also use the gas pump while running the gen. Just pump back into the tank. No fun to find in-op systems come spring.

???? Gas pump ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
???? Gas pump ?
Toy Haulers typically have gas tanks to fuel toys and supply the generator. Mine has a 40 gal tank.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #8

I installed one of these units to keep my batteries charged while in storage.

Prevent Camper and RV Battery Theft - PowerArmor Locking Storage Battery Box | Torklift International

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #9

I climbed on the roof this morning because we found a small leak after tbe last rain. Here is a photo of the panel up there. Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_065348.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	145578

Name:	20161129_065421.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	145579
Old 12-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I keep one 100 watt solar panel uncovered and it keeps my two T-125s full during storage.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:58 AM   #11
YC1

Welcome to the forum.

Solar panels have saved many batteries from a premature death. Even in overcast weather they can provide some charge. Once they are up then it takes very little to keep them that way. I highly recommend it but do get a decent size one. I would suggest a minimum of 50 watts but more is better.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
In general the best way to charge the batteries is by a customizable solar controller. Obviously many converters and Inverter/chargers do a great job as well.

You don't really say how much you want to spend on solar or if you plan to do the install yourself. These are two really big deals.

You might want to spend some time over at Handy bob's site and read up. After reading all his info I decided to build the example he has on the website.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/

You may find that you just want to keep the batteries charged during the storage period and a portable unit will be ok.

Good luck!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #13

It is all pretty easy unless you want to make it difficult.

Pretty much any brand of nominal '12 volt" solar panel in any wattage you like. Many times, it is more about which model will "fit" than if it is enough power.

An example panel that I picked up locally, but there are other brands around and you can drive yourself crazy "optimizing" to save 1% on purchase price, here is an example one for under $200.

165 watt solar panel 165w off grid for battery charging

You can certainly purchase smaller, lower output panels, but they aren't all that much cheaper.

Pretty much any PWM solar controller will work, an example one:

MidNite Solar Inc. Renewable Energy System Electrical Components and E-Panels

The connectors for nearly all solar panels are standardized to an MC4 connector (one male, one female), and you can buy pre-terminated wires.

Shipping panels can cost as much as the actual panel price, so it makes sense to buy locally if you can, even if the price is higher.

Usually it takes longer to read about than actually do the work. If you are capable of changing a car battery, you are perfectly capable of installing a solar panel on a toy hauler trailer.
harryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, power, solar, storage