Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2020, 06:31 AM   #15

i like the idaho tote
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CoolZ71 View Post
I've been researching toyhaulers after having a motorcoach for the last 7 years.

Most toyhaulers have no real living room. It's mixed with the kitchen so you live in 15' of a 40' trailer.

What are the opinions on getting a 5th wheel with full living room and kitchen but then attaching one of those "swivel tow" attachments for the SxS?

https://www.cruiserlifts.com/collect...w58-dual-wheel

those little wheels just don't look like it would hold up to where i go and at innerstate speeds. just my opinion of course. have you looked at the attitude, iconic by eclipse? how about any of genesis supreme's models? they offer more living space than the indiana built toyhaulers. just have to maintain your toy and bag the tank vent so there are no smells.

https://youtu.be/b6X4G1GOnLY

https://youtu.be/zAHIILlaXIE
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
those little wheels just don't look like it would hold up to where i go and at innerstate speeds.

The little wheels on mine went from Florida to Alaska and back, never a flat, and the bearings were always 20-30 degrees cooler than the trailer bearings. Just have to make sure the bearings are lubed. I travel at 65 MPH most of the time.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
There are always some people that claim something can't be done and then there are many others that just do it.
For example some people will even argue that mankind has never walked on the moon! How do you even debate that?
Your argument that "there are others that just do it" has no merit.

Millions of people break the law every day for decades and do not get caught. That has no bearing on whether it is legal or not.

Washington law dictates the connections to the frame of the trailer. Some comply others do not. It is black and white.

From a stability and structure stand point I would prefer the States defined connection anyway.

Anyone with a welder and chop saw can fabricate the proper connection.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Your argument that "there are others that just do it" has no merit.

Millions of people break the law every day for decades and do not get caught. That has no bearing on whether it is legal or not.

Washington law dictates the connections to the frame of the trailer. Some comply others do not. It is black and white.

From a stability and structure stand point I would prefer the States defined connection anyway.

Anyone with a welder and chop saw can fabricate the proper connection.

The point is that the swivel trailer is not illegal and that is confirmed by the many swivel trailers being used on the road for the last 18 years. Yes, as far as anyone can fabricate a 2 point frame hook up to the fifth wheel, I have proof it can be done at home with simple tools. Attached are pictures of my home made 2 point hitch made from scratch.
The swivel trailer is supplied from the factory with a single hitch adapter that I keep on the truck hitch for additional towing options. The 1 point hitch is also legal for towing using the same principle as a platform hitch with a support wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swivel Trailer.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	274732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	274733  

Name:	Truck Hitch.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	274734  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #20

Quote:
The point is that the swivel trailer is not illegal and that is confirmed by the many swivel trailers being used on the road for the last 18 years.
Driving 10mph over the speed limit is not illegal as confirmed by the fact that I have been doing it for 35 years.
In 2018 there were 16,214 murders in the US. I guess that is not illegal as confirmed by thousands of people doing it.

In 2017 70,000 people died from opioid overdose. I guess its not illegal as confirmed by the thousands of people doing it.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Driving 10mph over the speed limit is not illegal as confirmed by the fact that I have been doing it for 35 years.
In 2018 there were 16,214 murders in the US. I guess that is not illegal as confirmed by thousands of people doing it.

In 2017 70,000 people died from opioid overdose. I guess its not illegal as confirmed by the thousands of people doing it.

Mikey - Show me where you get this idea that the swivel trailer brand is not legal in WA?
Old 02-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Mikey - Show me where you get this idea that the swivel trailer brand is not legal in WA?
No where did I say the swivel trailer brand was not legal in Washington.

My suggestion that someone with a welder and chop saw proves that.

You are trying to obscure the subject of the discussion.

The statute was displayed for you.

Two points of contact are required in Washington. In addition those points are required to be on the outer frame rails of the platform.

You either meet the requirements or your platform is illegal in the state of Washington.

It does not matter if thousands of non compliant platforms are in use or not.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #23

Mike - The swivel trailer does have 2 points of contact, you may want to check out the design. Also since when is a frame restricted to 2 rails? There are unibody frames, H and I frame designs just to name a few. I know I have 7+ years of actual experience hauling a swivel trailer and I will report next year after my WA visit. Just like my FL visits, I don't expect any issues.
Comment - I don't think we are on the same page here! I will say that every person I have found to criticize a swivel trailer all have one thing in common, they have never used or have any experience with a swivel trailer.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Mike - The swivel trailer does have 2 points of contact, you may want to check out the design. Also since when is a frame restricted to 2 rails? There are unibody frames, H and I frame designs just to name a few. I know I have 7+ years of actual experience hauling a swivel trailer and I will report next year after my WA visit. Just like my FL visits, I don't expect any issues.
Comment - I don't think we are on the same page here! I will say that every person I have found to criticize a swivel trailer all have one thing in common, they have never used or have any experience with a swivel trailer.

I spent plenty of time in Washington and Oregon with mine. Never got a second look from LEO, even when in a parking lot or gas station with them. My personal non-professional opinion is that LEO's don't care about RV's unless they are obviously a safety hazard, or they are really, really bored.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To all the people saying the swivel is illegal GO START YOUR OWN THREAD!!

My question was to people who are using the swivel tow.

To the people who actually use it, how much weight must the rear of the 5ver be able to handle?

Anyone experience frame issues when using the Swivel?
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #26

Quote:

To the people who actually use it, how much weight must the rear of the 5ver be able to handle?

So...we waayyy overloaded the back when we upgraded to the bigger swivel wheel trailer. We weighed the swivel axle at 900 pounds at one point, so I'd guess there was close to that on the hitch, and our trailer frame survived. I don't recommend that one bit, but it is what it is. I would venture to guess that with an average load, a 500 pound hitch would do. The actual specs are on the manufacturers web site and vary depending on model.

If you want to know the downside of the swivel wheel, we have a youtube video of our unfortunate disaster on youtube under trippinwiththesmiths, but moderators here won't let me post links cause a few levels down, it links to my wife's website. In short - we bought a used trailer, didn't repack the bearings, and paid the price. It was a pain in the ass. Once resolved, no issues.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #27

Quote:

For our first 4 years, we hauled a Goldwing 1800 that weighed in at about 950 lbs. The swivel trailer empty weight was 450 lbs which gave a total weight of about 1500 lbs with the ramps and 2 mountain bikes on board. I figured the load was 50/50 split between the wheel load and the hitch load. With this setup, the 8" load range "D" would last about 2500 miles and then pop (need a TPMS). The last 3 years I have had a Honda VTX1300 to haul which weigh about 500 lbs and makes the 1000 LB/500 lb split load easier on the 8" wheel that now gets 6-8,000 miles per tire.
Our Cameo trailer frame uses a box type design and I made the rear hitch using 2" sq tubing welded and lot's of gussets. We have considered upgrading to a newer fifth wheel and one of my concerns is the frame strength of a different model.
A lot of the rear hitch weight depends on the length or distance the swivel trailer is behind your rear bumper. Think of it as a pry bar giving you leverage. You will want to reduce the leverage (moment arm) by keeping your swivel trailer as close to the rear bumper/cap of your fifth wheel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Swivel Trailer.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	275163  
Old 04-30-2020, 01:34 PM   #28

Quote:
I have been doing that for the last 7+ years full timing. We also did not want a toy hauler and liked the option to unhook the swivel trailer and use the RV w/o it.
Here are a couple of notes to consider: I used to haul a GL1800 on it and the 950 LB would wear the 8" tire out after 2500 miles. I have since switched to a Honda VTX1300 that is about 1/2 the weight and I now get about 8k miles on the tire. Earlier this week the bike broke down about 8 miles away for the first time ever. I was able to hook the swivel trailer behind the pickup and rescue the bike w/o moving the fifth wheel.
My advice would be to install a back up camera, tire monitor system and carry 2 spare tires (8" load D @ 100 PSI) that can be hard to find in some towns. I found my Swivel Trailer used on Craig's List for less than 1/2 of new price. I also added a post on the trailer side to secure and haul the mountain bikes along.
I like your trailer as I am not crazy about putting my bike sideways. What is the length and width of your trailer?
Loganwildman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow