Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Swivel tow for toys?

I've been researching toyhaulers after having a motorcoach for the last 7 years.

Most toyhaulers have no real living room. It's mixed with the kitchen so you live in 15' of a 40' trailer.

What are the opinions on getting a 5th wheel with full living room and kitchen but then attaching one of those "swivel tow" attachments for the SxS?

https://www.cruiserlifts.com/collect...w58-dual-wheel
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #2

I have been doing that for the last 7+ years full timing. We also did not want a toy hauler and liked the option to unhook the swivel trailer and use the RV w/o it.
Here are a couple of notes to consider: I used to haul a GL1800 on it and the 950 LB would wear the 8" tire out after 2500 miles. I have since switched to a Honda VTX1300 that is about 1/2 the weight and I now get about 8k miles on the tire. Earlier this week the bike broke down about 8 miles away for the first time ever. I was able to hook the swivel trailer behind the pickup and rescue the bike w/o moving the fifth wheel.
My advice would be to install a back up camera, tire monitor system and carry 2 spare tires (8" load D @ 100 PSI) that can be hard to find in some towns. I found my Swivel Trailer used on Craig's List for less than 1/2 of new price. I also added a post on the trailer side to secure and haul the mountain bikes along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cameo1.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	272994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swivel Trailer.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	272995  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck Hitch.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	272996  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #3

Be careful with the swivel wheel totes. Here in WA state they are illegal. You need to have a full axle with 2 tires and 2 points of connection with the trailer it's attached to. The idaho tote is the only one legal here. I'm sure there are other states that have the same rules as WA.
RIDINGisLIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDINGisLIFE View Post
Be careful with the swivel wheel totes. Here in WA state they are illegal. You need to have a full axle with 2 tires and 2 points of connection with the trailer it's attached to. The idaho tote is the only one legal here. I'm sure there are other states that have the same rules as WA.

That's not true, do you have proof of that claim? The swivel trailer is more like a bumper platform with a support wheel. My camper licenses plate is mounted on the swivel trailer.
I have heard many false claims of the swivel trailer not being allowed in some states. But all the claims are unfounded. There are many swivel trailers built and on the road over the last 20 years and I have communicated with many owners and have not found one case of a owner being questioned by a LEO. Show me the proof!!
Old 01-23-2020, 10:25 PM   #5

For WA state read RCW 46.04.094. I am LEO and am telling you only idaho tote is legal in our state. Now you've officially been talked to by LEO.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDINGisLIFE View Post
For WA state read RCW 46.04.094. I am LEO and am telling you only idaho tote is legal in our state. Now you've officially been talked to by LEO.

How many cases have you had in your state then? Can you point to any convictions? With 20 years of swivel trailers on the road, someone must have ventured into WA by now! We will be in WA there next year, I will look for you with my swivel trailer intow.
The swivel trailer meets all the requirements with the only exception being that I only have 1 wheel that is designed to carry the load. Note - Swivel trailer does come with 2 wheels if it's ordered that way, otherwise, everything in RCW 46.04.094 is spot on.

RCW 46.04.094

Cargo extension.

"Cargo extension" means a device that connects to the left and right side of a motor home or travel trailer frame and (1) becomes part of the frame, (2) does not pivot on a hitch, and (3) has an axle with two wheels, acting as a tag axle, to safely carry the weight of the cargo.

[ 2016 c 22 § 3.]
NOTES:

Intent2016 c 22: "It is the intent of the legislature to ensure that a cargo-carrying extension on the rear of a motor home or travel trailer must safely carry the weight of the cargo by requiring, if necessary, that the unit have an axle and two wheels, acting as a tag axle, to accommodate the weight and size of the cargo."
Old 01-24-2020, 01:53 AM   #7

I dont know how many people have been cited for it in our state, nor does it matter. Laws don't need to have "X" number of "convictions" before they are legitimate. To be honest, there probably aren't that many officers who know about this particular law. There are a lot of laws and none of us know all of them.

The thing is, it only takes one. As far as how laws work, you need to fulfill ALL the prongs. 2.5 out of 3 doesn't work. Yes you have 2 wheels, but you don't have a tag axle. That means you are breaking the law and can receive a citation if you tow that in our state.

You stated swivel trailers have been around 20 years. I believe this law is only 3 or 4 years old. The legislature saw what they perceived as an unsafe piece of equipment being used on their roads and then wrote a law to clarify what they will allow in this state.

People break the law every day and don't get caught. If you want to try your luck, by all means go for it. If by some crazy happenchance we cross paths while you are towing that in this state.......I'll give you a paper keepsake and a monetary penalty to remind you of our time together.

You claimed what I said was false. I showed you it was not. Each state makes it's own set of laws regarding towing, equipment, speed, etc. If you travel around into different states, it falls on your shoulders to be familiar with the different laws regarding what you are towing. I've informed you that your set up is illegal in the state of Washington. I wish you safe travels.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #8

Actually the Swivel Trailer is the same setup as the Idaho Tote, only the swivel trailer was first to the market. An axle is a axle and I can't fathom that a law would dictate that 2 wheels be present and not just 1 or even 3 wheels, but that would be a great case to defend.
Because of false information, I have gone the extra expense and time to have these concerns covered and they have never been needed. I do have a Class A endorsement with double/triple trailer along with having a title and new licenses plate for the swivel trailer to mount if it were ever needed.
Tag Axle - The main purpose of a tag axle is to increase the support of the chassis at the rear of the vehicle, allowing for greater carrying capacity and shock resistance.
Is this the tag axle option design that WA law requires?

Swivel Trailer also sells a 2 wheel option.https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...gebook2016.pdf
Old 01-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #9

It seems you are the type that has a problem admitting you are wrong. That is fine. If you get a citation, it is your right to take it to court where a judge will reiterate everything I've been trying to tell you.

You have a class A and don't know what a tag axle is?

Since you really want to try and justify your setup, let me address one more concern I noticed after posting my last reply.

One of your pictures shows something connected to the hitch reciever of your truck. It appears that is the part that connects your tote to your truck or trailer. If that IS the case, then you are breaking another part of the law we've been discussing.

The law states you must have 2 connections to your trailer with the tote. One on the left part of the frame and one on the right. Connecting to the middle of your trailer with the reciever is 1 connection.

A semi towing 3 trailers in WA state is illegal. You can't walk the officer up to the rig so the 3rd trailer is behind him while he looks to the front of your truck and then try to convince him you only have 2 trailers. We are smarter than that.

As I told you before, idaho tote is the ONLY one that is legal here. Look at their freedom hauler to see what the law is explaining. I've attached a pic if you want to look. If there is another company that has that same design, then it'll work too. I don't know of one yet.

I'm not wasting anymore of my time trying to talk sense into you. Do what you want and it'll all work itself out.

Safe travels.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200124-090841_Chrome.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	273135
Old 01-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Actually the Swivel Trailer is the same setup as the Idaho Tote, only the swivel trailer was first to the market. An axle is a axle and I can't fathom that a law would dictate that 2 wheels be present and not just 1 or even 3 wheels, but that would be a great case to defend.
Because of false information, I have gone the extra expense and time to have these concerns covered and they have never been needed. I do have a Class A endorsement with double/triple trailer along with having a title and new licenses plate for the swivel trailer to mount if it were ever needed.
Tag Axle - The main purpose of a tag axle is to increase the support of the chassis at the rear of the vehicle, allowing for greater carrying capacity and shock resistance.
Is this the tag axle option design that WA law requires?

Swivel Trailer also sells a 2 wheel option.https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...gebook2016.pdf

First rule of holes: when you find yourself in one, quit digging.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #11

There are always some people that claim something can't be done and then there are many others that just do it.
For example some people will even argue that mankind has never walked on the moon! How do you even debate that?
Old 01-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #12

To future reader's, if you are concerned about the swivel trailer, then consider the Idaho Tote. They perform the same function and both will get the hauling job done.
I was also told by poster's that my swivel trailer was not legal in Florida. I have since spent 4 winters in Fl. and have met other swivel trailer owners while in FL, with no issues to report. Talk to the people that actually own/use one! Here is some past discussion on this subject.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/swive...er-415051.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/swive...er-383395.html

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/11363...ration-length/

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/12270...-of-5th-wheel/
Old 01-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #13

I ran two different Swivel Wheels from Florida to Alaska, down the Pacific cost, all over the midwest and a large portion of the Northeast. While it may not be legal, and I've heard many people state that it's illegal, I never had any issue. Passed many LEO's, was in close proximity in parking lots with them, and never got more than a second glance. It's a good way to carry toys or outdoor equipment.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #14

If I read the "law" correctly it requires an axle "acting as a tag axle" not necessarily a straight axle across the entire structure. Seems to me that a single or double swivel wheel units "act" as a tag axle.

I'm pretty sure a lawyer cold have a lot of fun in court with this "law".
Bipeflier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow