Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #1

Tieing down a motorcycle for hauling

I am new to a toy hauler 5th wheel. I have really no idea how to tie down my motorcyle in it. Does anyone have some tips for me?
chemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
We own a 2005 gold wing it weighs close to 1000 lbs. the best way to secure a bike in my opinion is a docking device on the front tire. We use a wing dock and you can find the lower priced tire holders at most motorcycle shops. We then tie the straps to the handles on the seat and tie it forward balanced upright, I then use 2 straps to the floor from the rear crossed to keep it from bouncing side to side. The front tire is secured to the tire dock to keep it up right no kickstands of any kind are used.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #3

Have no experience hauling motorcycles with a 5th wheel, but have hauled motorcycles on numerous occasions in trucks, in vans and on seperate trailers. IMO, the most important thing to do is to use HIGH quality tie down straps with quality, heavy duty cinch mechanisms. Use junk...and you WILL pay! Next, be sure to "load" the suspension front and rear to keep the bike from hopping or "pogoing" as the trailer dips and doodles going down the road....this is very important, so don't be afraid to really tug on those straps! Along with loading the suspension, secure the front wheel in a channel or a wheel stop of some sort to keep the front wheel from turning side to side (these are readily available at most m/cycle shops and/or trailer supply shops). Blocking the tires front-to-rear is also critical in a trailer situation to prevent movement....and put the transmission in 1st gear as well. If you can block the sides of the tires, that will help as well. DO NOT rest the bike on either the side stand or center stand when securing it....rest it on the tires and cinch it down securely as mentioned.

The key is to understand that any trailer movement is easily transferred and magnified on its way to the bike, and your bike will move very easily if not heavily secured. Suggest you go to the websites of a couple of good motorcycle magazines and look for articles on the subject as well. I have seen many of these over the years....hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I disagree with "heavy" cinching.
The key to successful, damage free hauling is a front wheel chock and good anchor points. Chocks range from $35 cheap to $300 expensive. The expensive ones offer options for removal. Anchor points can be maximized with a product called "E track".

Here are some links Buyers 5-Ft. Horizontal E-Track — Model# 1903055 | Tie-Down Anchors | Northern Tool + Equipment
Ultra-Tow Motorcycle Wheel Chock | Motorcycle Hauling Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

You should secure the bike but dont cinch it down super tight. The quality of the tie downs doesnt matter. Ive seen the heavy duty ones break and cause a mess.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post

You should secure the bike but dont cinch it down super tight. The quality of the tie downs doesnt matter. Ive seen the heavy duty ones break and cause a mess.

Good additional points on securing the bike, particularly the front end. Re cinching and cheap tie downs, my collector bikes and Ducati Superbikes over the years never complained about secure cinching AND expensive tie downs. Happy to say they always made it to the shows and/or the tracks with the shiny sides up and the rubber sides down. But just my experience....
Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
Good additional points on securing the bike, particularly the front end. Re cinching and cheap tie downs, my collector bikes and Ducati Superbikes over the years never complained about secure cinching AND expensive tie downs. Happy to say they always made it to the shows and/or the tracks with the shiny sides up and the rubber sides down. But just my experience....
I only pointed it out because inexperienced folks tend to get carried away with "over cinching" not to discount your experience. If a handlebar or bracket breaks/bends and its like a "Jack in the box" effect.
I like enough tension to let the bike the bikes suspension absorb some of the bumps and the front wheel secured in a chock. (homemade, metal, wood, etc)
There are a couple of systems out there that dont require any tie downs and are very secure. They cost a few bucks more but well worth the price for damage free hauling.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I only pointed it out because inexperienced folks tend to get carried away with "over cinching" not to discount your experience. If a handlebar or bracket breaks/bends and its like a "Jack in the box" effect.
I like enough tension to let the bike the bikes suspension absorb some of the bumps and the front wheel secured in a chock. (homemade, metal, wood, etc)
There are a couple of systems out there that dont require any tie downs and are very secure. They cost a few bucks more but well worth the price for damage free hauling.

Very good thoughts for sure, especially for "newer" folks. All things in moderation. That the OP is asking is a very good thing. In days gone by, I wish I would've asked about things in certain situations....sure would've save me some money and/or some skin! Take care....
Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
DO NOT attach the straps to the handlebars near the grips/controls. You will bend them.

Attach the straps near the fork - where the handlebars attach to the fork.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #9

Go to this goldwing forum and do the search for excellent anchoring suggestions.

General MC Message Board
Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #10

Here is what I use along with some good ratcheting tie downs. Don't use the junk pull tight ones.
http://store.condor-lift.com/products.php?product=Pit%252dStop{47}Trailer%252dS top-%26-Trailer-Adaptor-Kit

Windy City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #11

I have a Honda VTX 1300 I use a block of wood under my frame and strap her down and it is solid as a rock.
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:26 AM   #12

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
I agree with Pete. I stick a couple of 2x4's under my Road King and cinch the straps down tightly enough that there is no movement.

I have had a problem in the past with the cheap straps pulling out slack while on the road, and let me tell you, it is no fun trying to right a bagger in an enclosed trailer by yourself... I now use a good quality ratchet strap, well over the required capacity.

I will also be installing Ultra-Tow Motorcycle Wheel Chock | Motorcycle Hauling Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment or a similar wheel chock before my next trip as well. Being a solo-er adds a new aspect to the challenge of strappijng a bike down.
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
And there is always lots of DUCT TAPE......

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #14

Just to repeat - Don't tie to the handlebars on anything bigger than 250 pounds. In fact don't tie to the handlebars on anything.