Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2005, 06:53 AM   #1

Hey Everyone,

Well I started a thread about getting my trailer weighed a while back...The results were high. The trailer (FSC2800 with fiberglass, 2 AC's, full propane, both gas tanks full, Full water, and food and stuff in trailer like we were going camping with no toys in back) came in with a 2040 # tongue weight. When I addded my toys to the back which consists of 3 quads, 5 bicycles, landsailer, firepit, and a bunch of firewood....the tongue came down to 1660....so I figured about 1340 pounds of toys took 380 pounds off the tongue. My gross trailer weight with toys was 12,240 pounds.....which is now below my max weight of 13K on my trailer with the new 16" tires and rims (but well above my original stickered weight of 11,100)...so I am happy I did the 16" tire thing.... So now my problem is what to do with 1660 pounds of tongue weight.... I sent a certified letter to Warrior regarding this issue and they called the dealer and said I need a class V series hitch...which goes to 1700 # tongue...that still would not solve the 2040 tongue weight on the few trips I go without toys. After some serious research...I considered the pullrite hitch...which does have a 2K/20K rating...The problem is it mounts under the Excursion.. and comes out below my current receiver....well on my trailer I need a 10" rise shank to tow level...so no way can I use the pullrite without some additional modifications to the trailer. The hitch and trailer mods would probably cost 3500 to 4000 dollars. This would solve my tongue weight issue...but now the last issue is total weight towing for my excursion. My Excursion only has a 1700 pound payload rating...that counts people, tongue weight, cargo....everything...so obviously if I hook the trailer to it...Just myself in the truck puts me over. The truck also has a 9K total trailer towing capacity...so I am about 3K over on that....I feel very safe when towing...but I am usually full throttle about 80% of our trips...the excursion has the V-10 gas engine. I have finally decided the best way to handle this is to throw money at it....I started looking at the F-350 diesel trucks.... Prices are not too bad and if I want to upgrade to a fifth wheel someday I can. I am 90% sure I will be switching vehicles in the next week....Anybody have any thoughts on this.... I hate to replace the excursion because it only has 46K miles on it...and I like the vehicle other than being over on some of my weights....any thoughts would be appreciated....

James

2006 F-350 CC, Diesel, SRW, LB
jab3143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2005, 06:53 AM   #2

Hey Everyone,

Well I started a thread about getting my trailer weighed a while back...The results were high. The trailer (FSC2800 with fiberglass, 2 AC's, full propane, both gas tanks full, Full water, and food and stuff in trailer like we were going camping with no toys in back) came in with a 2040 # tongue weight. When I addded my toys to the back which consists of 3 quads, 5 bicycles, landsailer, firepit, and a bunch of firewood....the tongue came down to 1660....so I figured about 1340 pounds of toys took 380 pounds off the tongue. My gross trailer weight with toys was 12,240 pounds.....which is now below my max weight of 13K on my trailer with the new 16" tires and rims (but well above my original stickered weight of 11,100)...so I am happy I did the 16" tire thing.... So now my problem is what to do with 1660 pounds of tongue weight.... I sent a certified letter to Warrior regarding this issue and they called the dealer and said I need a class V series hitch...which goes to 1700 # tongue...that still would not solve the 2040 tongue weight on the few trips I go without toys. After some serious research...I considered the pullrite hitch...which does have a 2K/20K rating...The problem is it mounts under the Excursion.. and comes out below my current receiver....well on my trailer I need a 10" rise shank to tow level...so no way can I use the pullrite without some additional modifications to the trailer. The hitch and trailer mods would probably cost 3500 to 4000 dollars. This would solve my tongue weight issue...but now the last issue is total weight towing for my excursion. My Excursion only has a 1700 pound payload rating...that counts people, tongue weight, cargo....everything...so obviously if I hook the trailer to it...Just myself in the truck puts me over. The truck also has a 9K total trailer towing capacity...so I am about 3K over on that....I feel very safe when towing...but I am usually full throttle about 80% of our trips...the excursion has the V-10 gas engine. I have finally decided the best way to handle this is to throw money at it....I started looking at the F-350 diesel trucks.... Prices are not too bad and if I want to upgrade to a fifth wheel someday I can. I am 90% sure I will be switching vehicles in the next week....Anybody have any thoughts on this.... I hate to replace the excursion because it only has 46K miles on it...and I like the vehicle other than being over on some of my weights....any thoughts would be appreciated....

James

Old 10-23-2005, 08:44 AM   #3

F350 PSD CC LB DRW 4x4

And ... that's all I am gonna say on the subject!

KZ 29P
JAguirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #4

I think you are going in the right direction.

My 26' Salem Sport is about 11k fully loaded. Was pulling it with a 92 Dodge CTD 3/4 ton. Bought a 2005 RAM 3500 (1-ton) CTD just before our Oregon Coast trip.

Man oh man what a diff. And not just the power, but the way the 1-ton handles the trailer is awesome.

This truck is rated for a trailer weight of 15,500# or CGVWR of 21,500#.

Spanaway,WA USA
WaFLHTIRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:07 PM   #5

James:

If you're going with a F350, only two words to need to know... TOW BOSS. 13,000k GVWR on the truck, and 26,000 GCVWR...

And you, your wife, and your TH will love it!!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #6

I just got back from camping at So. Carlsbad S.B. for the weekend and took the 15 to the 138 to the Antelope Valley where I live.

Pulling my 15,300 lb 5er up the Cajon Pass to the 138, then up the 138 over the Wightwood pass, my Tow Boss was incredible. I climbed the 15 at 60 mph and I had throttle to spare. Climbing over the Wrightwood Pass I climbed it at just under 50 mph. I have done this run many times in the past with my old 2000 F350 7.3 chipped and did not climb the hill as easy as I did today with the tow boss.

The tow boss is totally stock and is in one word AWESOME. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. I know that the Dodge and Chevy owners feel the same way about their trucks.

Go with what you like, but the tow boss is just that, the TOW BOSS of 1 tons!!!

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:52 PM   #7

Hey Clarkie Baby!

You said it alot better! Hope you had a great trip! Sure wish you could make Rasor (sumpthin tells me we're gonna need another fireman there...donned with a full gear setup! )
Old 10-23-2005, 06:59 PM   #8

I would love to be there, sounds like "TOO MUCH FUN" to be had. Just "Be Safe" guys and gals...

Of course we need pictures and stories to go along with the weekend.

Have a great time everyone!!!

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:30 PM   #9

I like going overboard on purchases as much as the next guy....but isn't the dually a bit of an overkill. I do think sometime during the life of this truck(probably in the next 2 years) I will be getting rid of the tag trailer and getting a LE3305 with a slide. The standard F-350 is rated at 16,500 for fifth wheel and 12,500 for tow trailer....The dually is 18,600 fifth wheel and 15 pull trailer. I am assuming you Tow Boss owners have the 4.30 LS axle.... Which is the axle that is in my Excursion.... It is not even an option in the Singe rear wheel models. I was told I will get better mileage with the 3.73 LS axle....I probably tow for 10 percent of my total vehicle miles....I hate to jack my mileage up if I don't have to. Would a LE-3305 really need a dually????...I know I won't go bigger than that because it won't fit in my driveway....and I am not moving. My current trailer is 12,200 fully loaded....so while it is close to max for the vehicle it is below.....Let me know your opinions....Thanks for all your feedback.

PS...do you think the the off road package will make the ride rougher....It's my understanding the rancho shocks should make the ride less bouncy....not stiffer....but I am not real sure. Thanks again.

James

Old 10-24-2005, 05:51 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
James:

If you're going with a F350, only two words to need to know... TOW BOSS. 13,000k GVWR on the truck, and 26,000 GCVWR...

And you, your wife, and your TH will love it!!

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree 100%, you won't regret it, especially when you step up to a big 5er.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:54 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jab3143:
I like going overboard on purchases as much as the next guy....but isn't the dually a bit of an overkill. I do think sometime during the life of this truck(probably in the next 2 years) I will be getting rid of the tag trailer and getting a LE3305 with a slide. The standard F-350 is rated at 16,500 for fifth wheel and 12,500 for tow trailer....The dually is 18,600 fifth wheel and 15 pull trailer. I am assuming you Tow Boss owners have the 4.30 LS axle.... Which is the axle that is in my Excursion.... It is not even an option in the Singe rear wheel models. I was told I will get better mileage with the 3.73 LS axle....I probably tow for 10 percent of my total vehicle miles....I hate to jack my mileage up if I don't have to. Would a LE-3305 really need a dually????...I know I won't go bigger than that because it won't fit in my driveway....and I am not moving. My current trailer is 12,200 fully loaded....so while it is close to max for the vehicle it is below.....Let me know your opinions....Thanks for all your feedback.

PS...do you think the the off road package will make the ride rougher....It's my understanding the rancho shocks should make the ride less bouncy....not stiffer....but I am not real sure. Thanks again.

James </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are going by brochure weights on the truck, don't do that.
If you are looking at a Crew Cab, PSD, 4X4, your truck will weigh around 8200lbs. That is what tacobuilder got on his truck when he weighed it.
Right there, you are down to a max trailer weight of 15,300lbs.
A LE3505 with a slide will be around 12,000lbs unloaded.
Go the dually, then you won't worry about trucks again.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:05 PM   #12

Hi James,

You and I are in the same boat. When I ordered my WW, I went with the FSC2800 because the weight matched the tow ratings of the burb. Now with the upgraded weight stickers, I'm over the burbs GVWR, trailer weight rating and the GCVWR when fully loaded.

The burb does a great job towing it. On our last trip, some moron cut in front of me and slammed on his brakes, I couldn't believe how fast the burb could stop 12,500 lb. (thank the Lord for the BrakeSmart controller). But, if I was in an accident, I'd worry about the legal ramifications of being over weight. We're going to have to upgrade tow vehicles too.

As for SRW vs DRW, if you're going to upgrade to a 5er, I'd go with the DRW. You'll have better stability with all that pin weight. Although I know there are a lot of peeps on this forum that pull heavy 5ers with SRW who might argue with me.

If you go with a DRW, keep the Excursion for daily driving, you'll get hammered on the trade anyway.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #13

Hi Wes,

I have definitely decided against the dually....If I was towing 40% of my miles or more it would be smart to get the best tow vehicle I could....but in reality I tow about 10 to 15% of my total miles. I think the SRW will work out just fine.... The only definite decision I have made is if I buy another tow vehicle it will be new... I checked the whole used market and for diesels it is crazy...people want 5K less than new for a 2 year old vehicle with 35 to 60 thousand miles on it....in 2005 Ford put on bigger brakes and wheels... The integrated towing system is awsome....I think that came out in 2005 as well. So new is the only way I would go....but now I still have to let go of 42K to purchase it... Your right the trade in sucks on the excursion...I would try it sell it private party. I have a deal all worked out with the local dealer...they are holding the vehicle until tomorrow. I am still thinking I tow so little that I can get by with the excursion...I know there is a weld shop in So-Cal that will put a 2.5" receiver and give it an unlimited weight rating......then I can get the 1700 / 17000 rated tow equipment. What really has me re-thinking this is the excursion has a v-10 with 4.30 LS rear end....the new F-350 offer this same combination...and rate the truck to tow a 12.5K trailer, and a 15K fifth wheel....so even though it is hard on my truck...it has the drivetrain to pull this load....Since I am not towing all the time....the vehicle should hold up fine...I guess my only concern is the same as yours....My GVWR and GCVWR. The excursion is rated at 10K trailer...so I am over by about 2k and the GVWR of the truck has a 1700 pound payload...well just the tongue weight eats that up...then you put 2 adults and 3 kids in the truck, and a little gear and we are over by about a 1K. The combination weighs a little over 20K...so I am over by about 2K there as well. Saying all that I believe the excursion is pretty under rated....it is limited by the rear spring ratings at 5200 pounds...but with air bags in the back the springs are not really an issue. I have been going back and forth on this for a week....and it really comes down to I hate spending 42K on a new tow vehicle when my excursion has 46K miles and is perfect for our family in every other way...the new truck is limited to 6 people...well I have 3 kids so now we can only take one extra kid when we go places. I need to make a decision soon and live with it......If money wasn't an issue I would already have the new truck...but it is an issue. My family thinks I need counseling because I have been talking to myself so much over this vehicle thing the last week.

One last note is I am really surprised about the price at the local dealer. I just went to the dealer to check colors and options so I could call some fleet dealers and get the best price...The dealer gave me a price with no negotiating that was 500 over invoice and then a ford 2K rebate...so actual price is 1500 below invoice. I called 3 fleet places and all the bids were higher than my initial offer from the local dealer...I was very surprised...still alot of money...but I am comfortable with the price of the truck being a pretty good deal.

James

Old 10-25-2005, 08:08 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My family thinks I need counseling because I have been talking to myself so much over this vehicle thing the last week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

James!

Sooooo...go to your closest Ford counselor, then the local bank/CU and get the F350 TB...forget the gasser, go PSD, and you'll be able to pull the FSC2800 without shame. And if the TV is your wife's ride, show her how to swing wide! THEN....when you upgrade to a 5vr, you'll be set. It's only money! And you can't take it with you if your insurance company decides you were overweight or illegal (yes...pot calling the kettle black, but only if I have the Jeep in it! ).

BTW...if you can get your own financing, move up to the fleet department and get your price online...it's an hours worth of dickering/waiting vs. the other option. My Honda dealer/best friend calls it the "professional buyer's department". Can't beat it...

Sean