Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:20 AM   #1

Towing 3 axle unit over 2 axle differences

We are looking at 5th wheel Toy Haulers. I've never pulled a 3 axle trailer only pulled single or dual axle trailers. Is there much difference? Seems like making turns or backing into spots would be where I'd see a difference?
Crosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The scrubbing of 3 axles over 2 axles is minimal at best. We have had two 3 axle trailers and really see no difference in tire wear. What I like is the 3 axle trailer tracks straighter than a two axle trailer.

The negative is you have two more tires to consider, two more set of axle bearings and brakes to maintain.

Remember that 98% of the time the trailer is running down the highway straight and with gentle curves not in tight turns or backing into tight spaces. You will have to replace the tires due to age and not wear.

Ken
Old 04-29-2021, 08:48 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
My experience with a three axle is there is a lot more scrubbing when in a turn. Tight turns would twist the axles enough so you could see the effect. Tire tracks on the ground would show the scrubbing.

Three axles change the load and hitch weight of the trailer hitch. Our three axle stacker has about 200 lbs hitch weight when empty and sitting level. When empty the front jack can be lifted off of the ground.

I have to load the trailer front heavy to get 900 lbs on the hitch. That is with a SUV, two motorcycles and a bunch of "extras" loaded.

I like pulling the trailer but have noticed there is some extra tire wear on the sides of the front and rear axle tires.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:58 PM   #4

Talking

Thanks for the comments and thoughts. I figured the tight turns would be where I would notice the 3 axle setup.

I have one friend that towed a 3 axle trailer , he told me the sidewall flex on the tires in tight turns worried him about side wall plies in the tires breaking.
Crosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:56 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley View Post
Thanks for the comments and thoughts. I figured the tight turns would be where I would notice the 3 axle setup.

I have one friend that towed a 3 axle trailer , he told me the sidewall flex on the tires in tight turns worried him about side wall plies in the tires breaking.
I have towed with both LT (18,000 lb) and ST (13,000 lb) on trailers. Both have easily noticeable wearing at the edge of the tires but in neither case did the center of the tire seem affected. In both cases the tires aged out long before tire wear was a concern.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley View Post
We are looking at 5th wheel Toy Haulers. I've never pulled a 3 axle trailer only pulled single or dual axle trailers. Is there much difference? Seems like making turns or backing into spots would be where I'd see a difference?
We have owned both a double & triple axle units. Currently we have a tri-axle 2018 Road Warrior we weigh in at around 20500pds. We tow with a 2017 Ram 3500 with a 4:10 rear end, High Output Cummins.
On tight turns I have seen scuffing off the front/rear tires. We have friends that have a tri-axle Fuzion and I have seen them scuffing tires turning into tight spots. I broke a rear spring hangar in Elkhart County Fairgrounds backing into a site. I am positive I broke it in there as I heard it snap.
Now on our Road Warrior we are running the MorRyde Independent Suspension set-up. Makes a huge difference on riding and the ride in the truck. We also installed disc brakes on it and the difference in stopping is like night & day.
But we love our Road Warrior and full time in it. Currently we are Cottonwood, Arizona.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #7

our tri axle is going to come in around 26-28k with mor-ryde i.s. and Kodiak disc brakes. The only tires i would ever run would be good year H rated 17.5 the g114 model. Expensive but worth it in the long run and safety of hauling big loads.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:50 PM   #8

My last trailer was a triple axle 36' enclosed car hauler with a 18,000 GVW and my current trailer is a 38' tandem axle toy hauler at 17,500.

For "normal" pulling I felt like the triple was more stable. This was even more noticeable on bumps where you get fore and aft movement. The downside is with tight turns, especially on hard surfaces. I few times it made noises and the tire/axle flex was "scary" but I never broke anything.

As the above poster mentioned, there is one more set of everything to maintain, but there is also one more set of safety.....

I wanted a triple axle again, however the price we got on our current unit made ti worth the compromise.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most triple axle trailers are very heavy and typically require a DRW truck.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #9

Two biggest differences we have seen:

More tire scrubbing, but not enough to make a difference.

Trailer tracks a bit more to the inside of turns/corners. More likely to run over stuff/off the road on the inside of a turn.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:39 AM   #10

the triple axle carry's the load better and tracks better than a tandem. like mentioned above, there will be more tire wear but should age out before it scrubs out. shouldn't break leaf springs unless very poor chickity china over rated springs were used from the factory.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing