Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
After being a motor home guy for decades, I'm thinking the same transformation. Toy hauler and tow vehicle.

However, regarding any of the above rec'd THs , can any vans or large SUVs be used as tow vehicles? We need interior space for 4 large dogs.

Thanks.
That's precisely why we moved from a pickup and FW toy hauler to a motorhome. We found it challenging with just two large dogs, probably because we always have long long travel days. I miss the patio and garage but the MH works out better for our style of travel, right now. Our toy hauler now is the F150 we tow behind the MH.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #30

We looked at several Fuzion toy haulers today, and we liked the 404 (2015 model) the best. I was hoping to see the 416, with a 16 ft garage, but they didn't have one in stock. They do have one on the way. They're asking $65k for the 404, brand new, how does this compare to prices you've all seen?

Another question I have; I see a lot of RV parks with a 10 yr old restriction (or management approval) how does this affect travels? Surely, everyone doesn't have a 10 yr old or newer RV. Has anyone ran into issues with this?
duallyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
One thing to look at. Some manufacturers do not warranty for full-timing, especially in their toy hauler lines. They don't advertise this up front but it is written in their warranties. Buying used, this may not be important to you. Personally I would rather full-time in a TH than a conventional 5er. The garage space is more valuable to me than the extra living space. The garage is a multi use facility, a mud room, a work shop, storage, etc.
Even the mid range '00 and '02 Dutch Star motorhomes were not rated for full time use. We were very surprised to find that out AFTER we bought them for exactly that use. The present rig doesn't address it at all. We just assumed it was OK, and we hope we get to use it that way.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyd View Post
Another question I have; I see a lot of RV parks with a 10 yr old restriction (or management approval) how does this affect travels? Surely, everyone doesn't have a 10 yr old or newer RV. Has anyone ran into issues with this?
Never had a problem and we've stayed at one with that rule many times with our last rig and it was 13 when we traded. Keep it in good shape and you should have no problems. Besides, are they going to check your registration to prove what you say is wrong? Just "adjust" the year when asked!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #33

Spent a year looking at a LOT of TH's to use as our "retirement" RV and ended up with the Jayco Seismic 4112; one reason being the 2 yr. warranty given by Jayco. This unit came with 2 AC's AND a Heat pump in main living area. Three awnings and two full baths are really nice when the grandkids visit..We have no "toy's", so it's more about storage. It has a residential fridge and 1800 watt inverter as well as 5.5K Onan generator. We also have a vented Washer/Dryer combo. It also came with a small dishwasher. A lot of good looking units out there, and you can't go wrong with more than several...but this one was the one that suited our needs best
Old 02-08-2016, 06:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
Spent a year looking at a LOT of TH's to use as our "retirement" RV and ended up with the Jayco Seismic 4112; one reason being the 2 yr. warranty given by Jayco. This unit came with 2 AC's AND a Heat pump in main living area. Three awnings and two full baths are really nice when the grandkids visit..We have no "toy's", so it's more about storage. It has a residential fridge and 1800 watt inverter as well as 5.5K Onan generator. We also have a vented Washer/Dryer combo. It also came with a small dishwasher. A lot of good looking units out there, and you can't go wrong with more than several...but this one was the one that suited our needs best
What's the difference in the Seismic and Wave models, did u happen to look at them both?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #35

With patios, large fresh+grey+black tanks, sturdy frames, garage, etc. the utility of the TH makes for an attractive FT rig. However, most of you have rigs that are Near 40' in length. Have you found this limiting in the places you wish to travel and ease of towing and parking in urban areas or state/national parks, setup and breakdown of camp? (We plan to move 2-3 times per month and favor state parks, boondocking, and friends/families' driveways and yards) for this reason I am looking at the shortest ones I can find, but that's not easy. Not to drift the thread, I like Grand Design (M328 being their shortest model), Tesla seemed nice but all really long. I liked the FR XLR followed by Keystone tied with Jayco, and Road Warrior/Cyclone the least.
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:22 AM   #36

With patios, large fresh+grey+black tanks, sturdy frames, garage, etc. the utility of the TH makes for an attractive FT rig. However, most of you have rigs that are Near 40' in length. Have you found this limiting in the places you wish to travel and ease of towing and parking in urban areas or state/national parks, setup and breakdown of camp? (We plan to move 2-3 times per month and favor state parks, boondocking, and friends/families' driveways and yards) for this reason I am looking at the shortest ones I can find, but that's not easy. Not to drift the thread, I like Grand Design (M328 being their shortest model), Tesla seemed nice but all really long. I liked the FR XLR followed by Keystone tied with Jayco, and Road Warrior/Cyclone the least.

Capt Dan.....The length of the toy hauler was extremely important in our search. Although the big units are cool and suit the needs of many, we wanted to be able to frequent the state parks which we feel offer the more senic campsites. The 2015 Fuzion 325 is 38' with an 11' garage. It tows comfortably behind our 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW and is easy to place just about anywhere we decided to place it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1455272540714.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	118867  
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #37

There are many...many...many posts on here about different toyhaulers. But full timing toyhaulers...honestly there aren't many. Without going to details (again there are 100's of posts) stay away from the Dutchmen (Voltage). Recently Heartland has improved some on the Cyclones, and Road Warriors...but still many QC issues because they crank them out so fast. My favorite TH when I first started looking was the Voltage by far until I started seeing all the problem with them. If your hauling big bikes (I have a Harley Ultra Limited)...their tie downs are the lowest rated of ANY toyhauler (2500 lbs) The XLR 5000 lbs and the Tesla 6000 lbs are the best. I mention this because I saw a nice CVO damaged because the tie-downs in the Voltage 3990 ripped out of the floor since they were just screwed to the subfloor and not mounted the frames like the XLR, Tesla, Momentum, Cyclone/Road Warrior, Prime Time Spartan, and the Keystone Fuzions/Raptors. The Voltages are pretty and have great floor plans and nice options, but the quality is really just not there. I forgot to mention the new Jayco 4112 and 4250...they are very nice and the quality has really improved, but they have the electric self leveling jacks and not hydraulic like the others I mentioned above...not the worst thing though...other than that, Jayco builds a very good toyhauler.
The Momentums are good units...but don't have residential fridge options that you will want if you plan on full timing as we do. If you want to save major $$$$$...wait until the fall to buy. You can get decent deals between now and then with certain dealers, but don't be limited to you local dealers...shop nationally. Again you save $$$$$ if you do!

Good luck!
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #38

That's a bummer to hear about the Voltage, and the d-rings. How can they use such an inferior set up, knowing they've designed a TOY HAULER to haul heavy TOYS? honestly we have looked at many makes and models, and find the voltage to have the for plan we like, superior quality than most, and much classier too. At first, we were planning to buy new, but now we're thinking a gently used would be best. Have the bugs worked out buy the previous owner, and not have to deal with that.

As of now, I have a bagger, a deuce, and my wife's 1200 nightster. Selling the bagger, since she rides now, so the 2 we're keeping are considerably lighter than my bagger. Still don't want to open the door to find my bike laying down. Shouldn't be a tough fix, to make them frame mounted,or at least add reinforced plating of some sort.

I know we're not going to find the "perfect" rv, so I'm prepared to make needed tweeks to suit our needs.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:22 AM   #39

Full time in a toyhauler

We've been fulltiming in a Voltage 3970 for about a year and a half and are fairly satisfied with the quality. It's true that the recliners weren't screwed down to the slide but, at least to us, that wasn't something that indicated a general lack of quality. We converted our garage into an office/den/music room since my wife still works and I'm a wannabe jazz pianist. We LOVE the patio as do our two canine companions. We haven't been in real cold weather, though, and hope not to. In our experience, RV's are not made for four seasons, regardless of how they're sold or packaged. If you are going to sell your home and belongings, you'll have some issues to consider as well.
If I had it to do over again, I'd seriously consider the DRV Full House. Its quality appears to be head and shoulders above the others.

Good luck and enjoy. Don't be dissuaded when you have the first few mishaps; it happens to us all.