Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #1

Toy Hauler for Newbie

Hey guys I've been a long time lurker but never posted.
Background: We've been Rving for years with bumper pulls. We've had two Airstreams and currently have a 28' Airstream right now.

We're looking for more space and are really digging the Grand Design Momentum. We're going back and forth between a couple different ones. My question is: Does UVW 13600lbs to UVW 15400lbs make a huge difference and does 38'11'' to 41'11 make a big difference.

We love the flexibility of the Airstream we can really drag it anywhere but we are severely limited on what we can haul and also tank capacities (length of boondocking).

Thank you guys for all your opinions I know a lot of people have already gone through this.
2020 F450 Platinum 4x4 4:30
2019 Airstream International Serenity
Wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2021, 07:34 PM   #2

Well from everything your telling us it sounds like you've made a wise selection. Let us know how it works out!
Elev8torguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:58 PM   #3

We have a Momentum 350M purchased new in 2016. Very happy with it. It is right at 40' actual measured length. I can honestly say that I have no desire to go any longer after being at 40' for 5 years. Just not as nimble due to length of 1 ton and trailer as well as the height. We really love our unit and I'd buy it all over again, but the height and length make planning ahead way more important than you have to do now in a 28' Airstream. You will find limitations in State and Nation Parks the longer you go in lengthof units. In the end, I think I would go with the Floorplan that works best for you just know you won't be able to "drag it everywhere" like you do your Airstream.

Good luck with your decision.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:41 PM   #4

Thank you guys for the input. I guess the question is, has anyone gone from a 38'ish to 42' and noticed a big difference in squeezing into places or noticed the extra weight. I would guess going straight down the freeway really wouldn't be any different. But curvy mountain roads might be?
Old 05-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #5

I can't speak of going from 38 to 42, but I just went from a 32" Holiday Rambler to a 37' XLR nitro 321 toyhauler and I can tell you, there is a big difference both in weight and in the spaces it will fit. Not to mention the toyhauler is vastly higher so there are considerations of clearance when fueling, overpasses on some back roads in some cases and parks with low trees, power lines, etc.

As far as your question about weight. You inquired about a 2,000 lb. difference between two of your choices. I would definitely say that 2,000 is significant, but judging from your tow vehicle that shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that if you go over 26,000 you are legally required to have a CDL. Don't know how enthusiastically this is enforced in most states, but it is a consideration. A 15,500 empty weight trailer is going to be about 17,500 or better loaded. Your F450 is probably 8,500 empty, so you are right on the edge if not a bit over. Just something to consider.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #6

I will start with you do not need a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) unless you are hauling Commercially, no matter what your weight. I would love to see this law if someone can link me to it I would really appreciate it. Some states require different drivers licenses depending on weight/length/size you are. Know what the laws are in the state you have your drivers license. My combo is 42,000lbs with airbrakes and I need nothing more than the license I drive my Kia with.

Next I am going to add the normal caveat that "it depends on your camping style". Yes, a 40' trailer that is 13.5' tall is going to take a little more planning, or at least awareness than a 28' trailer.

I went from a 27' long 9' high unit to a 36' long 10' high and currently a 38' long and 13.5' high unit. I made no major changes to anything I do. Yes there are some spots you can not get into, but there are plenty of others that you can. If there is a specific area/site you want to go to under 40' and over 40' may be a limiting factor. As far as general driving, backing or getting into spots would be very similar.

I just went from a 22' tow vehicle to 30' while my trailer length did not increase, my OAL did. We have only been out a couple of times so far, but this change did not effect how where we go yet. The new truck in some ways turns/backs better and in others it is worse. I am not sure how agile a 450 is but how the turn radius and how a 5th wheel turns is very different than a bumper pull.

We mostly boondock also. I have never found a length or size limit while boondocking as long as you can make it down that road. The large tanks are nice. I enjoy being able to spend a week out and only have to be water aware vs extremely conservative. I did add a 60 gallon waste tank to the new truck and need to pick up a fresh water tank of some kind to extend our stay.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #7

Thank you for the input. There's a pretty good video on YouTube about being over weight. From what the video says... I might butcher this a bit but.. The tow vehicles GVWR and the GVWR of the trailer may not exceed 26k? Possibly? I do remember him saying that a class A CDL doesn't cover it. It has to be a class A license non commercial. Hopefully they don't get to crazy with this I'm sure a lot of us are running around illegal if that's the case.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
Thank you for the input. There's a pretty good video on YouTube about being over weight. From what the video says... I might butcher this a bit but.. The tow vehicles GVWR and the GVWR of the trailer may not exceed 26k? Possibly? I do remember him saying that a class A CDL doesn't cover it. It has to be a class A license non commercial. Hopefully they don't get to crazy with this I'm sure a lot of us are running around illegal if that's the case.
Again you need to check the laws in the state you are licensed in. I believe that TX does have different licenses for different things.

I my state, WA, there are no special licenses.

My TH has a GVWR of 17,500.

My tow vehicle (TV) has a scale weight just under 25,000 loaded for a trip. Since my TV is registered as a motorhome in WA they do not list a GVW, just a scale weight. If it did have a GVW I am sure it could be listed up to around 100,000lbs since my front axle is 13,200 and I have tandem 40,000 rears.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:02 AM   #9

Here are the regulations for various states. Many require a special class of license and some require a CDL if you are over 26,000.
CDL might not be required, but you are still illegal if you do not have a special class of license and are over 26,000#.https://www.godownsize.com/rv-driving-license-guide/
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:35 AM   #10

Check the texas commercial drivers license exemptions. RV for personal recreation are exempt. Can you still get one, sure.
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
Thank you guys for the input. I guess the question is, has anyone gone from a 38'ish to 42' and noticed a big difference in squeezing into places or noticed the extra weight. I would guess going straight down the freeway really wouldn't be any different. But curvy mountain roads might be?
We went from a 30ft to a 44ft tri-axle toy hauler. On any curvy road you need to watch your turns, or any turn as far as that goes. There are some spots we can not get into, or we call the park before we make a reservation to see if they can fit us in to the park.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #12

I have a 32 GSG Attitude (for sale soon) bumper pull that actually measures almost 39ft but havent had issues getting in spots, it can be tight but can be done. I went this way for weight its only 9k lbs empty with a triple axle and has a 16ft slide and center island. We have a RZR and fill it it to the brim 150 gal water, 40 gal of fuel and supplies about 13k lbs. With our 2021 2500 Denali we get about 10 mpg avg and tows uphill at whatever speed you desire
Theturboman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, toy hauler