Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #15

Check out Dune Sport. They are custom built and made to handle the weight of a car or Jeep type rig so it will handle your bike easy.
Wildman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #16

Howdy!

We purchased a Heartland Cyclone to fulltime in and it hasn’t helped up to our previous 5er which was a Carriage. We used a Idaho Tote on our Carriage to carry a Yamaha Rhino and also a Smart Car. If I was looking for another TH I would start at DRV Fullhouse or go custom with New Horizon or Space Craft.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
...Look for a low deck height. Getting an Electra Glide up the ramp can be exciting. The transition from ground to ramp requires some momentum, because your feet don’t touch the ground. Even though the ramp is textured, don’t stop on it, your wheel will spin. Then a quick stop once you’re in.
Backing out is fun, too. Left foot on the ramp, right foot working the rear brake. The front brake will just skid down the ramp without stopping you. Then, at the transition, you ride the gap and hope for the best.
Simple trick to steep ramps - or really any ramps...

*KEEP BOTH FEET ON THE GROUND,
*With the engine off, transmission in lowest gear - use the clutch to control the decent. Rear tire has most of the traction.
*The front brake can add to stopping force too - but the rear wheel has most of the traction.
*Modulate releasing the clutch and applying the front brake to S-L-O-W-L-Y go down the ramp.

Always keep both feet on the deck...That is the key.
Keep the decent or climb as slow as you can do it.

Dropping a bike on a ramp - Been there - done that. Learned the hard way.

We stepped over towable toy haulers. Went from utility trailers to a Class A Toy Hauler, so cannot share specifics on best towable brands...but heard good things about Work 'n Play from AZ (not Forest River's version)

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #18

To each their own, but we are very happy with our Grand Design Momentum.

I would look at the Sundowner manufacturer as well.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Simple trick to steep ramps - or really any ramps...

*KEEP BOTH FEET ON THE GROUND,
*With the engine off, transmission in lowest gear - use the clutch to control the decent. Rear tire has most of the traction.
*The front brake can add to stopping force too - but the rear wheel has most of the traction.
*Modulate releasing the clutch and applying the front brake to S-L-O-W-L-Y go down the ramp.

Always keep both feet on the deck...That is the key.
Keep the decent or climb as slow as you can do it.

Dropping a bike on a ramp - Been there - done that. Learned the hard way.

We stepped over towable toy haulers. Went from utility trailers to a Class A Toy Hauler, so cannot share specifics on best towable brands...but heard good things about Work 'n Play from AZ (not Forest River's version)

Best luck
What is this Work and Play you speak of that is not Forest River? I am a pretty good Googler and find nothing of the like.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:13 AM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Have you looked at sundowner?

http://www.sundownertrailer.com/tlr-TH-Video.html
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
What is this Work and Play you speak of that is not Forest River? I am a pretty good Googler and find nothing of the like.
It is/was a small converter out of Phoenix (I believe) that took heavy duty utility trailers and added living space interiors. I saw one at an RV show. Never saw a website.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #22

We have narrowed down the field. It's a mind numbing task. The research into a Toy Hauler has been sickening.

In no order of preference. They all seem to be riddled with pro's and con's. More con's than pro's forsure.

Northwood, Desert Fox-24AS
A interesting TH. Seems to be a ton of features crammed into the unit. To the point of being eclectic to disorganized.

Keystone, Impact-26V
If there was to be a perfect floor plan for us, this would be it. Build quality is a concern.

ATC, 8.5'x25'
ATC seems to have a bit more direction with the 2019's. Worth another look! Like the construction.

Grand Design, Momentum-21G
We don't like the bed slider at all. But that may well have to be a concession on our part.

OutDoors RV, Trail-22TRX
This is a interesting unit and I look forward to inspecting one of these units!

There is no way we are going to do a class a or say a Thor class b. Nor will there be any of the custom offerings from Spacecraft, Sundowner or the likes. I won't pay that much for a sticks & bricks muchless a RV.

I had no idea what a pain in the rear shopping for a TH would be. It is by far the worst experience I've ever had when it comes to a purchase of any kind.

Thank You
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
W

I had no idea what a pain in the rear shopping for a TH would be. It is by far the worst experience I've ever had when it comes to a purchase of any kind.

Thank You

Be thankful you have choices in your TH search. Can you imagine a world where we would have only one choice of style/color/layout/quality of TH? Your search experience is what you make of it. We only looked at fifth wheels for 1 day and bought the one we liked (Carriage Cameo, a company I had never heard of prior to that day) and have adapted to well it in 6 years of full timing.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #24

Quote:
We have narrowed down the field. It's a mind numbing task. The research into a Toy Hauler has been sickening.

In no order of preference. They all seem to be riddled with pro's and con's. More con's than pro's forsure.

Northwood, Desert Fox-24AS
A interesting TH. Seems to be a ton of features crammed into the unit. To the point of being eclectic to disorganized.

Keystone, Impact-26V
If there was to be a perfect floor plan for us, this would be it. Build quality is a concern.

ATC, 8.5'x25'
ATC seems to have a bit more direction with the 2019's. Worth another look! Like the construction.

Grand Design, Momentum-21G
We don't like the bed slider at all. But that may well have to be a concession on our part.

OutDoors RV, Trail-22TRX
This is a interesting unit and I look forward to inspecting one of these units!

There is no way we are going to do a class a or say a Thor class b. Nor will there be any of the custom offerings from Spacecraft, Sundowner or the likes. I won't pay that much for a sticks & bricks muchless a RV.

Thank You
You know the ATC has like R-3 insulation right? I looked at them and their $100k plus 5th wheel offering and it was either R-3 or R-5 at the most. The walls were 1" thick.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #25

Ya know, it's hard to beat a well-kept late 90s/early2000's DP and a trailer for the bike. Old beavers, Safaris, CC's, Foretravels - well built, solid, simple compared to the stuff made now.

of course, you have to have a place to put it, and it probably will be a bit more than a new TH, and you have to find the right coach. Still....

In our case, the TH was marginal for supporting my racing needs, and made an even more marginal camper (the beds were crappy beds and even crappier couches) but compared to the amount of fiddly work I put into the DP, it was very easy to own, regardless of the quality of construction.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:57 PM   #26

https://dunesport.com/

Give them a look you might like what you see.

https://www.facebook.com/toyhaulers/
Wildman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #27
J_T

Quote:
The heavy and no engineered Harley is (our) main scooter. At 57 I'm still a sport/euro sport touring fan. There is a FJR1300 in the mix. While i can get my fix on that bike on local 300 mile rides. There are places I haven't ridden 150 mph wheelies that I would like to visit. The wife of many years who knows I'm not sane got kind of bent last year as I was dragging hand around corners going to Bike Blues and BBQ in Arkansas on the Road King. Making it shake it's head and me complaining about it's per-WWII engineering. So either the King or FJR in the garage. Maybe both. But honestly I don't see a the FJR being loaded most of the time.
If you hate Harleys so much , why ride them? And lets be real you havent rode a 150 mph wheelie on anything, specially not a FJR- too close to its max speed to even have enough left on tap to hold it.

As far as toy haulers go try to stay away form stick frames, and look for metal construction , as well as fiberglass sides. Seem to hold up better for me.
J_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
You know the ATC has like R-3 insulation right? I looked at them and their $100k plus 5th wheel offering and it was either R-3 or R-5 at the most. The walls were 1" thick.
Do you know what the ATC wall insulation is rated at with the “Upgraded Wall Insulation” option?
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler