Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2018, 11:08 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We own a 40' Class A (gas) MH, the Thor Outlaw. It has a toy hauler in the back. With 4 boys, we primarily use it as a mudroom, and to haul actual toys (bikes, beach stuff, etc).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 04:49 AM   #16

We have a 35' Toy Hauler (tow behind) with a 10' garage. As previously stated, a Toy Hauler that size with a 10' garage doesn't leave a whole lot of living space. We bought it to haul our motorcycle to the track, as my wife and I were both Instructors with a motorcycle trackday organization. It made it very convenient to have a comfortable place to "live" at the track from Friday afternoon till Sunday evening when the activities were over for the weekend. We've since retired from coaching/Instructing, but still have the T.H. and use it for both camping and to load our street bikes into and travel to places that we want to spend some time riding on the street. It has the HappiJac bed system in the back which includes a sofa with the "roll over" backs that make it into a bed, as well as the upper bed that can be lowered for some more sleeping quarters. We never use the upper bed and I have converted it into an up and out of the way storage area that can be accessed with a two step stool and not have to lower it down. The one downside with tow behind T.H.s is that when you are not loading the rear garage, the tongue weight is pretty heavy, and when you do load it, sometimes it can become lite enough on the tongue that you have to add a bit of weight up front in order to get that 11-12% tongue weight; otherwise you might see a little swaying going on with the trailer. Overall, I'm happy with ours but hope to someday upgrade to a 5ver. We have our eyes on a 43' Raptor T.H. and that one is big enough to not only have your garage space, it would still be a little over 30' of living space.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:03 AM   #17

I'm 58,close to retirement, we've had class C and A motorhomes,DP with enclosed trailer,we went to a Toy hauler because we were going to be traveling alot and wanted better fuel mileage and a truck to go sight seeing and run to the store,I get anywhere from 9-13 MPG, towing a 38' 5th wheel TH and a 10' enclosed trailer,I find it much more comfortable traveling in the truck,ac on in the summer and heat on in the winter,the cab of the truck is much smaller area to heat or cool than a big MH,I haul a 4 seat RZR, and I can pull over for the night and still be comfortable with it inside,ours isn't a garage model,I also find we have more room inside than a MH,we also have more room for the grandkids to sleep,up to 8 people in beds,not on the floor
This works best for us at this point in our life

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
66byearsn old and we have had most everything from tents, to motor homes, to travel trailers. Our last was a DP with a lift on the back that worked out well.

UNTIL last year when we went to Florida and had a span of two weeks of cold wet rainy weather. We were stuck in the campground with nothing to do most days.

The issue I had was that it was an older MH and although it was in excellent shape, I was always worried about what we would do if we dropped an engine or trans. The average truck garage will not work on MH's, and if they do, they charge a premium.

I needed a new truck, so we sold the DP and bought a new PU, and a 3 year old TH, and have not looked back. We now take the Valkyrie, and have the truck if needed due to weather.

Jim
Old 12-31-2018, 02:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flasher View Post
I'm 58,close to retirement, we've had class C and A motorhomes,DP with enclosed trailer,we went to a Toy hauler because we were going to be traveling alot and wanted better fuel mileage and a truck to go sight seeing and run to the store,I get anywhere from 9-13 MPG, towing a 38' 5th wheel TH and a 10' enclosed trailer,I find it much more comfortable traveling in the truck,ac on in the summer and heat on in the winter,the cab of the truck is much smaller area to heat or cool than a big MH,I haul a 4 seat RZR, and I can pull over for the night and still be comfortable with it inside,ours isn't a garage model,I also find we have more room inside than a MH,we also have more room for the grandkids to sleep,up to 8 people in beds,not on the floor
This works best for us at this point in our life

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
To the original poster in this thread......remember, NOT EVERY STATE allows triple towing though, so keep that in mind if you would be thinking about something like the above ^^^^^^
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #20

We also have kids and are on our second toy hauler. We full timed for 3 years in a 43 footer with a 14 foot garage. We now just vacation in another 43 footer with a 12.5 foot garage.

As far as we are concerned, it is a more versatile version of a bunkhouse. It also has the added benefit of increased payload, larger tanks, on board fueling station, and the rear patio is great when staying in places with no paved patio area. The loft makes an amazing attic as well. Since we would not consider a floorplan that did not have dedicated sleeping areas for our boys the TH floorplans are just as diverse as any other option for us. While all of the above are good reasons for us, we also of course have the massive garage space for bringing most anything else with us, such as golf carts, go cart, 4 bicycles, or whatever else we might want on a particular trip. We also love loading up using the ramp instead of carrying clothes, groceries, and everything else in through the “little” door.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
To the original poster in this thread......remember, NOT EVERY STATE allows triple towing though, so keep that in mind if you would be thinking about something like the above ^^^^^^
I could be mistaken, however I've heard that if double/triple towing is legal in your "home state" then you WILL NOT be ticketed in a state you happen to be passing through or in during vacation.

What say those that REALLY KNOW FORSURE???

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #22

we are 61 we bought a 2016 KZ Venom 4013TK we love it
we have a sxs 1000cc pull it with a 2016 Ram 3500 flatbed dually.
jaycunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycunn View Post
we are 61 we bought a 2016 KZ Venom 4013TK we love it
we have a sxs 1000cc pull it with a 2016 Ram 3500 flatbed dually.
Looking for a Toy Hauler that we can pull with a SRW.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #24

To OP...our reasons for gettjg a Toyhauler:

They are very versatile in how folks use them. Check out the home office "Changing Lanes" (YouTube) did to their Momentum. We use ours as a dinning room and private area for our teenage children.

Having teenagers, it's nice to have the happijack queen size beds (2) in the rear along with an extra loft over the kitchen. We like the privacy as well along with our teens having their own 1/2 bath in the rear.

When it's time to travel, raise the beds and load toys. We have kicked around the idea of a golf cart, but for now our toys consist of four mountain bikes. We also carry two dog crates for our family pets.

Another thing we like is having fuel tanks/a fuel center and generator on board. This is priceless for when stopping for lunch/dinner or an overnight in a Walmart, etc. and it's 100 degrees out. Being able to run all A/C's and keep pets nice and comfy is great for our family.

I agree that most are best suited for a diesel dually. We pull our 40' Momentum with a 2011, 6.7L, F350 dually and it does a nice job.

We are in our 40's, but with auto-level and push button everything, I don't see age being an issue. Towing just takes practice. If someone does their practice and picks up some towing tips from knowledgeable others, anyone can tow.

We camp approximately 40 nights per year. We enjoy our time out, but it can be a challenge with full-time jobs and children in sports/activities. It all comes down to what is the best fit for your family. For us, the toy hauler is it.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
There's people that wish their house had a garage...then there is people who have garages.
This x100!!

We've had most every type RV there was ever made (yeah, I'm "older") and started with tent camping. Every type RV is GREAT and we loved them all.

Literally, we've camped with a tear-drop/utility, a couple Pop-tops, a big "Egg" Casita, a Luxury TT, a 5'er, a Class C, and still have a Class B/Camper van (project).
But, always wanted more...
Now we have a Class A Toy Hauler. It is THE BEST - for us.

A Toy Hauler version in any RV class adds SO MUCH to the usability.
It is very simple why - take one of the dedicated bedrooms or sleeping spaces in a traditional RV, put the bed on a lift or fold, roll-up the carpet, and add a BIG DOOR in the wall. Viola' - Toy Hauler.
Click image for larger version

Name:	xtend-out1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	230919

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	230911

With a garage instead of a dedicated bedroom that only is used 1/3 of the day, you can use that space for SO MANY different purposes, like:
*Leave the ramp down and enter/exit there - like a mud-room (rubber floor already there),
*Level the ramp to make a clean/off-ground sun deck,
*As an office
*As a Sun room
*As a Craft room,
*As a Shop,
*As a Day Kennel,
*As a Man Cave,
*as easy/secure storage for your camp stuff while on day trips.
And the list grows for each person.

Name:	RVOutlawz39_n.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	230918

Name:	Z6UYXkI.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	230916

Name:	view.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	230915

A Diesel Pusher Toy Hauler is off the table, because the garage and engine can't reside in the same space. But there are "Super C" Toy Haulers to those that really want that BIG engine. We find no need for a DP. Ours has a massive 8.1L engine/Allison Transmission that takes us comfortably anywhere we want to go.

If you want a towable Toy Hauler...all these comments apply - just get the unit and the right tow vehicle for your needs.
Traditional RV's are fine for those that can live with limits. But we don't want the constraints. Plus, bring the motorcycles, bike, or quads with no trailer needed and you can still tow a car...or just load the car

Name:	Smart (5).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	230914

Safe travels
Tailgate Photos credit to JeffAZ and RVOutlawz!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #26

Brilliant...

I guess that's why our humble cargo conversion "gear hauler" works so well for us, modular, variety, utilitarian, tough. Nothing on the market met our particular needs and desires at the time, (and in our budget).

I had no idea they made Class A toy haulers. Now I have something else to research (Thanks...)
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Interesting - thanks. What do you use to sightsee and go to the grocery store?
With the old toy hauler set up, you disconnect the truck and take it if needed. With the new set up you have to tow a small car behind you. Either way you end up towing something, so I'd rather be the big vehicle, small trailer combo, rather then the opposite.
RescueRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Brilliant...

I had no idea they made Class A toy haulers. Now I have something else to research (Thanks...)
I put together a little light reading here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

Enjoy
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, toy hauler