Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 362
Toyhauler Weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace View Post


Wags the tail worse than a happy dog


My parents had a 2912 and it was sway happy. Not enough tongue weight. Had to back the RZR 900 in almost to the cabinet by the door, across from the slide.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #86
Junior Member
 
Flyinace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clomok View Post
Do you back the can am in or nose forward? Iíve seen a lot of guys have to back the cars in to get some tongue weight back
I back it in as far as it can go..
I'm gonna try 20 bags of water softener salt for this weekend's trip loaded in the front compartment. If that work I can use the salt for my water softener and replace the salt bags with 10 bags of concrete ..
Flyinace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:35 PM   #87
Junior Member
 
Flyinace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
My parents had a 2912 and it was sway happy. Not enough tongue weight. Had to back the RZR 900 in almost to the cabinet by the door, across from the slide.
Exactly what I do.. 800+ lbs manufacturer tounge weight .. not nearly enough with 1700 lbs behind the axles .. engineering at it's finest
Flyinace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:46 AM   #88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace View Post
Exactly what I do.. 800+ lbs manufacturer tounge weight .. not nearly enough with 1700 lbs behind the axles .. engineering at it's finest


But hey! Itís half ton towable!!!
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #89
Junior Member
 
Flyinace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 15
I towed it home with a 19' ram 1500 rebel... It can pull it but 40 miles was enough for me...
Flyinace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #90
Junior Member
 
Flyinace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 15
Update...
Added 750lbs to the front storage compartment.
The Stryker still swayed but alot better than before, at least it can be controlled now unlike before
Flyinace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #91
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Cyclone 3611 JS

16,115 with empty tanks and partial camping gear, no toy on a 17,000lb GVWR.

Attachment 240587

Overweight with a tank of water. RZR 900 in the back and the trailer axle weight jumps to 14,820lbs on twin 7k axles...
This makes me scratch my head real hard! I don't even understand how this can be marketed as a "Toy Hauler", unless they have safety placards in the garage that limit the weight while towing to 500 pounds or less. My guess is that there are actually placards that say the garage has a "Capacity" of 2K or 3K which can be dangerously misleading because even your 1200 pound toy has put the whole thing over axle and gross limits.
Scott-McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #92
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace View Post
Cat scale weight for my setup...
2018 ram 3500 crew 4x4 6.4L hemi
2016 Stryker 2912
2018 can am x3 xrs

Me the wife ready for camping full tank of gas in truck and fuel station full

Truck 7560lbs
Truck and trailer 17840 lbs


Wags the tail worse than a happy dog

You've certainly got enough truck to tow this with plenty of weight up front to compensate for the weight in the garage. I'm curious, why aren't you towing a Fiver? I'm currently towing a Fury 2910 (Prime Time) behind a 2010 Tundra with tow package, and often load up two full dresser Harley's. I'm extremely familiar with the tail wagging the dog. I'm challenged with balancing the amount of total load in the camper to keep it under gross and within the TV capacity while still keeping the tail under control. I'm looking to upgrade the TV and TH to keep it all more "under control".
Scott-McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-McC View Post
This makes me scratch my head real hard! I don't even understand how this can be marketed as a "Toy Hauler", unless they have safety placards in the garage that limit the weight while towing to 500 pounds or less. My guess is that there are actually placards that say the garage has a "Capacity" of 2K or 3K which can be dangerously misleading because even your 1200 pound toy has put the whole thing over axle and gross limits.


If you ask the Cyclone Forum they can because not everybody uses a toy hauler to haul toys. The garage is is rated for 2500lbs. Too bad the RV canít come close to handling it.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:42 AM   #94
Junior Member
 
Flyinace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-McC View Post
You've certainly got enough truck to tow this with plenty of weight up front to compensate for the weight in the garage. I'm curious, why aren't you towing a Fiver? I'm currently towing a Fury 2910 (Prime Time) behind a 2010 Tundra with tow package, and often load up two full dresser Harley's. I'm extremely familiar with the tail wagging the dog. I'm challenged with balancing the amount of total load in the camper to keep it under gross and within the TV capacity while still keeping the tail under control. I'm looking to upgrade the TV and TH to keep it all more "under control".

I originally had a 2019 ram 1500 and bought the trailer thinking it was half ton towable.. my first ever trailer and not doing enough research. I will be looking in to fiver in a year or so... I will be doing my research before I trade up..
I'm over on my gross even before I loaded up the front.. with all tanks empty except the fuel station..
Flyinace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #95
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
You guys make me feel FAT!.

This 28k weigh is my standard full load, truck and trailer when going long distance... No toyhauler. We full-time. Overweight on the drive axle by 780lbs, but I was carrying an additional 105 gallons of diesel which weighs 745lbs.

When I want to bring my SxS (last pic), I triple tow an additional 3k. Obviously, GVW is overweight by 1k doing so.

The RV has 8k axles/suspension/disc brakes, if anyone is wondering.

2014 Ram 3500 DRW
2013 Montana Big Sky
2019 Prowler Pro
McRod, I have questions for you - how long is your SXS trailer and your RV? My husband wants to do this rather than buy a toy hauler due to the weight of our toy. Having a heck of a time coming up with a toy hauler that will actually handle the weight of our toy and all the junk we haul so we thought we might do this instead.
chulavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #96
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: N M
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Racer View Post
I'll start this off with mine.

I have a 2003 SLC 3705 and I weighed mine both empty (or so) and loaded. With it empty but carrying full propane, empty tanks, a few things underneath, two 12 volt batteries, and I have the fiberglass siding, it weighed 8500 on the axles with a pin of 3400 lbs. With tanks 1/2 full of water and loaded for the road with 97 TJ Jeep inside, axle weight is 12,500 with a pin weight of 3250.

Thats about as close as we can get. What do you have for yours? I know this isn't perfect but we can give everyone a close idea of what to expect for their toyhauler, or perspective toyhauler.
How many axles are on your toyhualer? That weight seems to be more real then some I have read . I have 311 impact with two 7 K axles that is over loaded with 800 z force and roadglide ultra . I let the scissors Jack down when uploading my toys with them out. the jacks are off the ground .
Roadglide54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulavista View Post
McRod, I have questions for you - how long is your SXS trailer and your RV? My husband wants to do this rather than buy a toy hauler due to the weight of our toy. Having a heck of a time coming up with a toy hauler that will actually handle the weight of our toy and all the junk we haul so we thought we might do this instead.
The SxS is 12ft tongue included.
The RV is 40 ft.

Those two together are 52 ft, which the standard length for semi trailers.

The truck is 22 ft and the 5vr has a 5ft overhang on the truck bed.

Total length is 70 ft.

You will need to use an app like All States, to check legal lengths when pulling in this configuration. Some states max triple tow length is 65 ft.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #98
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
The SxS is 12ft tongue included.
The RV is 40 ft.

Those two together are 52 ft, which the standard length for semi trailers.

The truck is 22 ft and the 5vr has a 5ft overhang on the truck bed.

Total length is 70 ft.

You will need to use an app like All States, to check legal lengths when pulling in this configuration. Some states max triple tow length is 65 ft.
Thank you for the reply! I'm from AZ, max in AZ is 65'.
chulavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kz-rv



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Truck weights gary85 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 7 01-22-2008 06:12 PM
Tow Weights Cayman Dave Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 6 10-11-2007 11:40 PM
PIN WEIGHTS tiger63 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 9 05-03-2006 04:01 AM
Stuff weights usona Travel Trailer Discussion 10 03-30-2006 08:50 AM
RV Corner Weights Oemtech MH-General Discussions & Problems 8 01-04-2006 01:59 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.