Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2021, 06:34 AM   #1

Twin Axles Easily Maxed Out?

Thinking of buying a Momentum 350G with twin axles. With all of the gear on board, it looks like the axles are on the edge of being over loaded. Anyone have to replace axles or springs in the past due to this issue?
Rick Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2021, 08:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Remember that the pin will carry about 20% of the trailers total weight. Have you weighed the trailer when loaded to see exactly what weight you have the axles?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Giles View Post
Thinking of buying a Momentum 350G with twin axles. With all of the gear on board, it looks like the axles are on the edge of being over loaded. Anyone have to replace axles or springs in the past due to this issue?
Several individuals have done things to upgrade. We had the Morryde IS system installed, and yes the manufacturers take these things to the limit.
The Morryde system offers four different sizes of system for use.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #4

when i called grand design 1.5 years ago and asked about an axle upgrade on the 350g and to ask if i could order it w/o the rear bathroom and happijac set ( happijac bed/ twin couch assy is 750 lbs) they said no. they didn't say they offered axle upgrades on the m class. i had posted that they do not offer an axle upgrade in another's post. one of the irv2 members politely corrected me, stated, not on the G class but they do on the M class. he referred me to the spec and build option on grand design's site. sure enough they do offer 8k axles on the M class. i had to ask why and the answer i got from another member was basically, they used a lighter ( aka weaker) frame on the G class. i am not an engineer nor a rv frame expert. but, imo, that would tell me the frame is at it's limits and cannot safely handle additional weight with larger axles. again my opinion as i am no expert but... i would ask someone that does know before i swapped out my axles. just to be safe
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:34 PM   #5

The one thing I did compromise on when buying my toy hauler was # of axles. I wanted triple but we found a deal on one that was only a tandem axle.

When we bought it we did not have a UTV. We had plenty of weight capacity. Jump to 2 years later and now we have RZR. I am happy that last time I weight checked I was only at 14,2xx on the 14,000 trailer axles. I figured it would be higher.

I have not had to replace anything yet but I frequently rub in the wheel wells and have less clearance when getting of paved/smooth roadways. At the last place we booondocked we had to unload/load the RZR about a 1/2 mile down on the road from where we actually camped.

On the flip side the TH that I really wanted was going to run about $75k and the one we bought was $45k so the price difference was still worth it. We use our set up a lot, so I just bought a new truck so I can get the RZR out of the trailer and onto the truck. Once the new truck is all converted the new truck will be about $35k.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:59 PM   #6

nwicd..... that's a fantastic price! cheaper than a new 450 or 4500. i to plan to go that route after i pay off my new toyhauler.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
nwicd..... that's a fantastic price! cheaper than a new 450 or 4500. i to plan to go that route after i pay off my new toyhauler.
I got a 2014 VNL 630 with 420k miles. It came with an APU, nice features, 12 speed iShift, and a nice interior package. Truck was $25k, I will have about $10k into deck, hitches, tool box, etc. Total of just about $35k, MSPR on my 2016 dually was $70k.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:34 AM   #8

I just ordered a Grand Design 320G with upgraded axles from the factory. They are now offering an upgrade from the 7K lb axles, to 8K lb axles with disc brakes. From what I understand, they were not available until this year on the "G" class.

I had read about people at, or above 14K lbs on the axles with a SxS, and any real amount of water. The fresh water tank is located just behind the axles. Although I only carry motorcycles in the back, I didn't want to fill the fresh water tank up and approach the weight limit on the axles, plus I like the bonus of the disc brakes.

@dsrace, the happijac is an option if ordering new.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I got a 2014 VNL 630 with 420k miles. It came with an APU, nice features, 12 speed iShift, and a nice interior package. Truck was $25k, I will have about $10k into deck, hitches, tool box, etc. Total of just about $35k, MSPR on my 2016 dually was $70k.

only way to go!! nice find!
Old 02-14-2021, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
I just ordered a Grand Design 320G with upgraded axles from the factory. They are now offering an upgrade from the 7K lb axles, to 8K lb axles with disc brakes. From what I understand, they were not available until this year on the "G" class.

I had read about people at, or above 14K lbs on the axles with a SxS, and any real amount of water. The fresh water tank is located just behind the axles. Although I only carry motorcycles in the back, I didn't want to fill the fresh water tank up and approach the weight limit on the axles, plus I like the bonus of the disc brakes.

@dsrace, the happijac is an option if ordering new.

well i guess they finally listened and only took 1.5 years lol most of the newer turbo 1000 2 seat sxs's ( bone stock)weigh 1800 plus lbs, 4 seater even more. glad to hear they are finally offering the options! i ordered a new custom toyhauler from dune sport.

as i stated above, when i spoke to them they wouldn't do either or delete that rear bath. i asked if they could install a washer dryer prep in the rear bath rather than a rear bath and push that tv back farther and they of course said no.

the interesting part was the lady's response when i asked about axles and deleting the happijac system. i explained the true weight of the late model turbo 1000 sxs's in 2 and 4 seat plus tools and spare tire then pointed out that a full tank of water left no room for normal gear or fuel. her response was.... the majority of there customers do not know the real weight of there toys, there units are not a good fit for myself, i have the emails still. surprised me and turned me off that company. they have great reviews but 4k ccc is easily maxed out. my new toyhauler has a 7k lb ccc
Old 02-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
well i guess they finally listened and only took 1.5 years lol most of the newer turbo 1000 2 seat sxs's ( bone stock)weigh 1800 plus lbs, 4 seater even more. glad to hear they are finally offering the options! i ordered a new custom toyhauler from dune sport.

as i stated above, when i spoke to them they wouldn't do either or delete that rear bath. i asked if they could install a washer dryer prep in the rear bath rather than a rear bath and push that tv back farther and they of course said no.

the interesting part was the lady's response when i asked about axles and deleting the happijac system. i explained the true weight of the late model turbo 1000 sxs's in 2 and 4 seat plus tools and spare tire then pointed out that a full tank of water left no room for normal gear or fuel. her response was.... the majority of there customers do not know the real weight of there toys, there units are not a good fit for myself, i have the emails still. surprised me and turned me off that company. they have great reviews but 4k ccc is easily maxed out. my new toyhauler has a 7k lb ccc
I have been looking around for 5th wheel toy hauler to replace my tt toy hauler. Most are now designed for the "entertainment deck" (aka ramp door), and more of a living room than a garage. They are also more geared for a SxS, than motorcycles in the garage. They are following a trend, just one that you may not be doing.

With the updated axles, I believe that a poster on another forum is what "pushed" GD to option the upgraded axles. He bought a 320G late last year with the 7K lb axle, and laid out his axle weight issues, with scale numbers, showing the rear axle being at max, or overloaded with not much weight put in the garage. His numbers for pin weight were also interesting, as it looks like you have to work to get enough weight forward to have the correct pin %. Again showing that current toy haulers are being made for more "fluff" (which sells). Believe he ended up buying/trading the trailer in for a different one.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
I have been looking around for 5th wheel toy hauler to replace my tt toy hauler. Most are now designed for the "entertainment deck" (aka ramp door), and more of a living room than a garage. They are also more geared for a SxS, than motorcycles in the garage. They are following a trend, just one that you may not be doing.

With the updated axles, I believe that a poster on another forum is what "pushed" GD to option the upgraded axles. He bought a 320G late last year with the 7K lb axle, and laid out his axle weight issues, with scale numbers, showing the rear axle being at max, or overloaded with not much weight put in the garage. His numbers for pin weight were also interesting, as it looks like you have to work to get enough weight forward to have the correct pin %. Again showing that current toy haulers are being made for more "fluff" (which sells). Believe he ended up buying/trading the trailer in for a different one.

correct! that poster should not have had to go to those extremes to get GD to understand there math is incorrect if they want to advertise them with a blanket " can haul your sxs" statement. the clearly were set up for the small narrow lightest weight sxs's. i haul a sand rail that is 1960 wet and 13'2" long with a front track width of 80", rear is 90" and a 117" wheel base. short of track width the newer 4 seat sxs's are very close my rail in size. honestly i don't think they could even handle 2 fully dressed large harley's in garage. i wasn't saying that i changed there minds as i know they didn't care when i brought it to there attention as they told me there toyhauler wasn't a good fit for myself. i and my wife do enjoy the decks, not so much the rear decks but the side patio's. this is why we ordered out new 30' bumper hitch toyhauler ( 30' oal) with a side patio and still have 14' of cargo with a full bedroom, full bathroom and kitchen. side patio only protrudes in 6" still leaving 90" wall to wall for my front end. 7k lb dry and 7k ccc. our new one won't be done until aug but here is a similar pic from a customer that opted for front and side patio's.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:29 AM   #13

I have the 2018 Raptor 355 39.5' 17,000# gvw. The original axles were 7,000# with drum brakes. When loaded there was a lot of swaying and very little stopping power. I replaced the axles and springs with 8,000# axles, springs, Hydraulic disc brakes, shocks and larger tires. Spent around 5,500.00 and was well worth it rides and drives as smooth as can be the 7,000# axles were at max weight. I think they set these units up thinking most people are not going to actually haul toys.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanch View Post
I have the 2018 Raptor 355 39.5' 17,000# gvw. The original axles were 7,000# with drum brakes. When loaded there was a lot of swaying and very little stopping power. I replaced the axles and springs with 8,000# axles, springs, Hydraulic disc brakes, shocks and larger tires. Spent around 5,500.00 and was well worth it rides and drives as smooth as can be the 7,000# axles were at max weight. I think they set these units up thinking most people are not going to actually haul toys.

i 100% agree that is how they set them up! there set up for golf carts a a quad or too or little rascal scooters.

there ara a few, just a small handful, that actually have the ccc to haul laarger toys. imo , a toyhauler has to have a min of 4k lbs ccc to even be considered for larger toys such as turbo 1000 2 seater sxs's or smaller 2 seat sand rails etc etc. that would be 1800lb and up category of toys. i bet a fully dressed road bike, harely or goldwing etc etc , i bet they weight 1k to 1200 lbs fully dressed. def cannot put 2 of those in most toyhaulers, if you want to add clothes or other gear. i consider those larger toys based on weight not size.