Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:57 PM   #1

VENT fuse?

Noticed I had a red light on in my fuse box. My kitchen vent fan is not turning on nor is my thermostat. Everything seems to be working - just that. I killed all power to the camper (shore & battery disconnect), pulled the blown 15a fuse out hooked up power (shore and battery, both individually) and it popped instantly with a new 15a. Tried a 20a - same deal (so whatever it is it's realllly sucking the amps).

Dealers are all closed now so I can't call them for a quick directive. I'm going to crawl on the roof and check out the wiring to the kitchen vent. 2/23 can't get here quick enough... I just want all these damn electrical gremlins fixed.
4thgenceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2020, 03:16 PM   #2

Wiring connections for the vent fan would be easier to access by dropping the bezel from the ceiling . You can disconnect the fan power there and try another fuse .

Do you have a multimeter or a 12 volt test light ?
Old 12-31-2020, 05:58 PM   #3

Yeah I started to do that. I then took a shortcut - climbed on the roof and disconnected the ground wire. No more fuse popping and my thermostat worked again. Only to drive 5 miles, turn around and drive back home because my truck started acting up. For those 10 miles though - my brakes worked 100%! (fuuuuuuuuuuu).

At least now I know where the problem lies (or close to it) and will have a better place to start tracing wires. After parking it in the driveway and hooking it back up to shore power - the 15a circuit started popping again. Since I'm not going anywhere anytime soon - time to start testing again.

I just wanted to camp & ride this weekend :(
Old 12-31-2020, 06:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thgenceli View Post

After parking it in the driveway and hooking it back up to shore power - the 15a circuit started popping again. Since I'm not going anywhere anytime soon - time to start testing again.

I just wanted to camp & ride this weekend :(
!5 amp breaker in the house ? In the RV ?
Or are you tripping the GFCI on the house outlet ?
Old 01-01-2021, 05:41 PM   #5

It's the fuse circuit in the camper. It's labeled as 15-VENT. A bit of research and playing I found it powers the exhaust fan above the kitchen and also the thermostat. Happens when hooked up or on battery. Soon as I throw the breaker to power it up -- it goes POOF.

Interestingly enough - I fixed it yesterday by disconnecting the exhaust fan on the roof and it was good for a while (15-20 miles driving and my trailer brakes were working too).

Pulled home - parked it in the driveway and unhooked everything. Powered up the camper to the garage outlet and same stuff. --POOF. It's going to the shop for the brake wiring issue - I'm starting to think it's all tracked back to the same issue.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:20 AM   #6

I am not sure how this is affecting the brakes, my understanding is that other than the emergency brake controller being hooked up to the batteries they do not interact with the rest of the electrical system. Maybe check your the break away connections for that issue but the fan and vent should be controlled by the electrical junction box that has both the 110 and 12v wiring.

I have read that the break away switches can go bad but usually it won't apply power to magnets when pulled.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:26 PM   #7

Neither am I. It's just one of those strange coincidences. Fuse was good AND brakes worked... blowing fuses and no brakes?

Agreed, the trailer wiring should be completely independent of the trailer electrical system. The only common point I would imagine these two things have in common is the onboard battery and/or the trailer ground wires.

I'm going to give it another once over this weekend since it's in a place readily accessible to me and my tools at the same time. Need to do some other light maintenance on it so I'll do some testing again and see what sticks.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #8

I'm about to merge these two threads -- as I'm starting to think this is alllll related. It's just caddywhompus and upside-backwards-inside-out-upside-down.

Went to move the trailer around again today, the 15a fuse is not present. Brakes worked perfectly on the whole trip.

Cliffs:
15a circuit connected and not tripped -- intermittent/no brakes
15a circuit disconnected and/or tripped -- Brakes fully functional, no kitchen exhaust fan or thermostat power.

This happens on both 12v or 30a power. I'm starting to lean towards NOT a ground (I poked at all those already many, many times) but something within the distribution center jarred loose/shorted out.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:44 PM   #9

Well this was a interesting turn of events.

Blown 15a fuse powered the thermostat, kitchen exhaust and light under the electric happy-jack bed.

The coiled wire that I've always taken caution to keep it out of the way of anything...got pinched and was shorting out. Warranty replacement - good to go!

Just **** timing I guess between that and the intermittent brake issues - but not related at all.

Tags
fuse, vent