Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Exclamation Warning for those with onboard generator

Our 30C is a touch over a year old and has an Onan 5500 generator. I was poking around underneath the other day and noticed that the rubber exhaust hanger was cracked/dry rotted in two places and ready to give way. A $5 universal exhaust hanger from the local parts store bolted right on to the existing hanger and we are good to go. However, if I didn't catch this before it came apart, it would have made quite the mess dropping down at highway speed. Anyways, check yours if you have one. It could save you some headaches and $ in the future.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do undercarriage inspections when I do my own RV and Genset LOF. Who ever has been doing your oil changes should of spotted that bad hanger long ago inspecting the under carriage. When was the last time your muffler and exhaust stem was inspected? It is important to ensure those you're paying to do work on your RV do their job thourghly.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
I do undercarriage inspections when I do my own RV and Genset LOF. Who ever has been doing your oil changes should of spotted that bad hanger long ago inspecting the under carriage. When was the last time your muffler and exhaust stem was inspected? It is important to ensure those you're paying to do work on your RV do their job thourghly.
Not sure if you missed the first line of my post. The RV is only a year old. I just did my first oil change on the genset and undercarriage inspection when I found the bad hanger. Just wanted to pass it along that a new trailer can have something like this wear out and to look for it.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #4

Some folks don't realize your suppose to clean out the exhaust as well...there is a plug on the Onan's to perform this...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
At least yours lasted that long mine on my 300c only lasted 2 months.
Urban350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #6

shouldn't the warranty covered this repair

Jack
advrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine was broken on the Bounder when I got it 2 years ago. I also replaced it with a universal hanger from an auto parts store. My Bounder has a metal loop under the exhaust pipe that prevents the exhaust pipe and muffler from dropping down in the event the hanger breaks. If you don't have such a loop one can be fabricated from a length of metal tubing.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #8

Goin' on 10 years and mine looks fine.

BTW, mine looks like multi (8) layers of cloth/rubber.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #9

As with anything mechanical, maintenance is everything. One thing that I alot of people forget is to run the genny in the off season about once a month with a load on it. Air, oil, fuel filters once a year (yeah, I know what the hours standards are) and change the oil. Do the stuff they tell you, and it will last.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I actually have my house wired so I can use my generator run the house in case of an outage. This usually happens in the winter which is off season, so great exercise for the unit. Since my range and dryer are both NG, the only thing that is 220v in the house is the central AC which again, isn't on during the off season. The genset handles the rest of the house without an issue.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #11

Funny I should happen upon this thread as my hanger was about ready to fail a few days ago. Good advice to keep an eye on it.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator