Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2005, 09:39 AM   #29

FatDog:

Definitely the bay windows and swivel rockers, Onan 5500, 40gal & 20gal tanks, interior wall protectors (as you had mentioned before), double Elec. Queen Bed, fiberglass gelcoat exterior, outside barbuque, ramp screen (a temp thing), front rock guard, spare tire/mount, stab jacks, vinyl floor & ramp covering (also something you've brought up), 16" wheels/tires, SAT dish, either 4 or 6 6v DC batts...

...and a vivacious wife when it gets delivered! It'll be the ultimate test/break-in"!

I also may add a couple of the gauchos in the back depending on how the Jeep fits.

Actually, out-of-production is 5/21, but it's supposed to be @ Giant by the 1st of June. Couple of days to install the extras, that 5 hour tour we've talked about, a "drive 'til you drop" trip to wring out any of the bugs, and then our June trip, which will probably be the time the bugs decide to wake up and sting me.

Did I hear right...are you talking Monday for your LE? I think I can hear Cordie from here..."Warm up the bed, honey- I'm-a-comin' home"!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2005, 01:36 PM   #30

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Sean,
I'm bummed out a bit now because i wasn't more persistent before when i was getting the trailer. I see you thought about getting 16" wheels/tires. I made a gentle push towards getting different tires, kinda got the big shrug of the sholders- don't,can't,won't- and I didn't pursure it becasue I was busy.
So I am going to take a quick look at what kind of rubber there is out there for trailer tires at 16" and see if the choices are better then the 15" generals I believe are coming on stock now. The tire places will give a rebate on tires at trade in if they don't show use.
Do you remember what kind of tires were specced on your 16" wheels?
the triale has the flipped axles, and the a6" wheels would be the ticket.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #31

Mike,
On the Alfa I have Goodyear G614's. Size:LT235-85-R16 Load range G. I'am at work so I can't tell you the carrying capacity. They seem really good, are the upgrage to the Carliles (sp) that they used to put on that are crap. All I know is that the new Goodyears carry alot of weight. The Alfa weights in just over 14,000 loaded. See if you can get them or something simular. Those big WW's weight alot, you need a good tire under them. I like the 16's, they are the same size as on the truck.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:51 PM   #32

Clark
is your Alfa a triple axle? thats the only thing that gives me some amount of relaxation with the Generals that come with the WW since I believe that the Carlyses and Generals are related tires. And yes, like you say, the Carlyses do not enjoy the best reputation. But 6 is more then 4 so at least I have that.
I will look at those Goodyears
Old 04-22-2005, 03:35 PM   #33

Mike,
It's only two axels. That's why Alfa put on the new beefy tires I believe. Tire and rim weight in at 93 lbs. I know because Alfa sent me a new setup after a weld broke on my 3rd trip and the spare tire dropped off the trailer on HWY 58 just east of Mojave. Luckly the tire did not hit anything, but it just rolled off into neverland and I didn't find it.
Got the weld fixed, new tire and things are back to normal.

If WW will put on 16's, I'd really think about getting them. A dune friend of mine the has a 40' WW has already had 2 blow outs. I'm not sure what tire he has, but cheap tires just don't cut it.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #34

that a lot of people running the cheaper tires have had problems is one thing, but a number of people have had two go on the same trip. You gotta wonder

so some old guy in his longjohns is going to be walking his mule around out in the Mojave with his old beatup metal detector in hand and stumble across a brand new 16" Alfa Goodyear on a brand new rim. Opportunity is what makes U.S. great ehh?
Old 04-22-2005, 04:29 PM   #35

Mike:

Two things: the 16" give you the ability to go above a Load E Rating and alot more choices in tires sizes/ratings, and since WW puts 6,000lb axles on these things, 16" gives you the ability to go to a true 18,000 GVWR- the frame is just about as stout as you can get.

The problem with WW is they won't give you ANY credit for the 15's- it's up to your selling skills to get what you can for 'em all, and that all is 7! Last time I went to math class (help us out here, learnem), 7 is just about as ODD as you can get! My WW salesguy says he can help me get rid of 'em, but I gotta fork out for the 16" wheels/tires right up front. WW is very set on ths policy, and unless some buyers start making it a deal-buster, they'll continue!
Old 04-22-2005, 05:31 PM   #36

WWFan
that is correct
that is what our brief conversation was a few months ago, no tradein on the wheels and they weren't swapping tires. thank you

it is doable to sell the wheels/tires i guess
and if we put ours together that gives us 14
what does that do to our odds?
I see guys buying new tires like the kind we are talking about pulling, so here we go ...
Old 04-22-2005, 06:41 PM   #37

FatDog:

Are talkin' tires...ARE WE TALKIN' TIRES?

OK...not that we got that tire thing out of the way...I think it's time for SandyFeet to come up to the plate and tell us that story she owes us...got my chais lounge out, sipped on a suds, got my keyboard in lap- ready for it (gotta break here shortly for a spa run, though, but I'll return).
Old 04-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #38

( yea, thats right, I thought that was MY big complaint, guys arguing about tires )
Old 05-03-2005, 05:20 PM   #39

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SandyFeet:
Well, jeez ... lookit that ... I leave the forum for a couple of days and you guys have a freakin' free-for-all here on the board! I've got to admit though, following the threads here is better than watching TV these days. Now I have to go and read all the other posts you fellas have racked up in my absence. Like Ah-nuld said, "Ahhh'll be bock!"

And WWFan, you're forgiven.

Sandy Feet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...seems like we got over this, didn't we? Sandy...I love the quote..."Well, jeez ... lookit that ... I leave the forum for a couple of days and you guys have a freakin' free-for-all here on the board!" Did you ever, in YOUR wildest imagination (and I gather you've got one!), think we as a group could be where we are?

It's a good thing...fun is just around the corner!
Old 05-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #40

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SandyFeet:
Hey guys ... I'm baaaaack!

Well, today it so happens the FB2200 is not for sale, but ask me again tomorrow! No kiddin', we love this toyhauler -- size and performance -- it's hard to let it go.

But that LE is calling to me .... yoooo-hoooooooohhhh! The final straw will be when my brother, 56Nomad, pulls up with his shiney new LE3305 next week. Maybe if I cry big crocodile tears I can break Nick down?

To be continued ....

Sandy Feet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok...... tommorrow is here. Could we have an updated report soon Have you done
the crocodile tears yet?

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #41

Oh 56: she needs a better environment than YOUR driveway (do SC'ers have driveways, or just "curb-ways"?) to fully understand the ramifications of 'moving up'! Give 'er some time...she'll come around!

I suspect that the time will be weekend after next...but as a loving BIL you need to take the hard line: DO NOT let her stay in your coach! She could attach herself like the plague (have you EVER tried to scrape tat off the walls?) You gotta take the "hard love" approach and, at a minimum, hail a taxi for her to the nearest WW dealer- FOR HER OWN GOOD.

Otherwise, I think the crystal ball I can see has all of your relatives camping out in YOUR LE for the rest of your life! Got vision?

Just in a day's helping hand...

Looking forward to it like its the last time [knock on wood]!
Old 05-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #42

Crocodile tears? No, I went one better (heh-heh-heh)

I'll let you all figure that one out.

Sandy Feet
SandyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote