Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #1

I made the switch!!! No more high priced diesel for me. I have gone Bio, and boy do I like it too. Even sold Momma's toyota highlander and just bought her a diesel excursion, **** the money I am saving monthly by running bio pays over half her Ex payment anyway!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #2

I made the switch!!! No more high priced diesel for me. I have gone Bio, and boy do I like it too. Even sold Momma's toyota highlander and just bought her a diesel excursion, **** the money I am saving monthly by running bio pays over half her Ex payment anyway!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 06:27 PM   #3

I thought BIO-DIESEL wasn't that much cheaper...? Obviously I am wrong. What was involved with the switch?

Just curious...where bouts do you live? Work?

05 NEXT LEVEL 38CKS https://bestsmileys.com/happy/3.gif
PhatFireMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 07:59 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
yea FireRooster, whats up??
you brewin' your own? or buying ?
and i've also seen prices for bio that don't exactly make me start lighting my cigars with twenties.
So where you getting it?
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #5

Brewing baby brewing. Fun easy and best of all CHEAPER way CHEAPER.

Phat Fireman

I work for Phoenix Fire, Momma works for Goodyear Fire. Where abouts you work, if I remember it is somewhere in Cali, right?
Old 09-26-2005, 05:06 AM   #6

Ventura City Fire, California coast.

Without going into extreme details...what is the general process for making that stuff? Is it legal? Can I get rich doing it?

05 NEXT LEVEL 38CKS https://bestsmileys.com/happy/3.gif
PhatFireMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:45 AM   #7

Phat
No extreme detail ehhh??? alright .....

i have been halfheartidly been following the exploits of another bio-maker, because i feel that eventually i might be following in his footsteps. Soon probably.

you have to secure used fry-oil from somewhere, and Chinese cookeries (retaurants) are renouned to have the purest oil so ...
Number One: you have to make friends with the local Chinese eatery. This is in comparison to the local burger joint who may not give a darn how your fries taste and they change their fry-oil when life starts occurring in it. This is bad used oil.

Yes, it is legal to do, and tax-free up to a certain level. Reminds me of when my old-man used to make his own beer. He told me Tax regulations allow citizens to make like .... 50 gallons of beer tax-free every year for personal comsumption. He made hundreds. But the whole neighborhood helped drink it so maybe my dad was alright. He was alright come to think of it.

A number of people have reported that the local Sherrif was called to their house and they were raided for cooking drugs in their backyard when in fact they were just happily brewing used fry-oil into diesel.
Cooking meth IS NOT legal, but cooking diesel IS. That is a relatively important distinction.
Make sure your neighbors like you so they don't report your lab, well ... except that bio making IS legal.

Is that it? Are you now ready to start?
You will be richer then Richard Simmons before the year is out.

Fat
Old 09-26-2005, 06:21 AM   #8

Phatty,
They had a great episode about making your own Bio a month or two ago on Trucks.

There's some basic info HERE.

Fuelmeister seems to be the most popular system and are available HERE, and many other places. The initial investment in hardware is about $3k. But I hear that you exhaust smells like french fries.....:B

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:26 AM   #9

Fat Dog, How much was your initial investment?

2006 WW LE3305 Billet
sandjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:32 AM   #10

sandjunkie
i have only been following some guys making it, i have not made it myself.
On thedieselstop.com they have a large amount of ongoing data on this. Its near the bottom of the forum there. i have been reading and waiting to have some free time.
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=biodiesel
Old 09-26-2005, 08:22 PM   #11

I've spend some time looking at this option...unfortunately, Ford will only allow a 5% mix (known as a B5), which just blows the ability to make it anywhere near cost-effective. Now...if you don't have a warranty to worry about, I've heard of guys running almost 100%, and yes..Mikey...french fries abound in ther smell factory (gosh...if you could finda Golden Arches to feed your need for WVO, you'd be set!). But to do 100%, you need a elorborate tank & pump setup if you're in cold country to first feed 100% dyno, then after the fuel system warms up you can convert to bio.

It'd be just so much easier if some ying-yang company could make it, mix it in whatever mix you need, and then we could kick some camel-jockies in the a$$, tell 'em we don't need their steekin' oil anymore, and get on with it. Life would be almost complete, 'cept that now the big cunnumdrum is how to get the same stuff through the heaters in our houses- NatGas and coal companies' stocks are the next big fiasco, and if we could get rid of the pressure in our groin area, all would be OK.

"If it ain't one thing, it's ten others"...
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:32 AM   #12

A friend of mine (and his family)is doing it and is figuring his cost at $.70/gal. He's running 100%.

With that estimate, which I think is a little low because it's not taking time or effort into account, it would take me a year to recoup the cost of the most basic system assuming a fill-up every week.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:51 AM   #13

Fire rooster
break out the details
how you making it?
whats the learning curve?
how many gallons do you make a month and how do you store it?
fry oil from what restaurant?
does your truck smell like won-tons as you drive?
Old 09-27-2005, 06:10 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">does your truck smell like won-tons as you drive? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike you're a hoot! All day long now I'm going to have visions of Dirk's truck being chased by people wanting to place an order!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote