Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, Except for the rest of the unloading we made it back. Got the trailer plugged in and the air set to 80 so its good to go until we can get the rest of the stuff out and can shut it all down.

Whew! I'm beat. Made it out to New Mexico going into a 30 MPH headwind. Hummm, give or take 7.0 MPG at 75, sometimes slower. Paid a high of 2.45 for diesel in Tucumcari on the way back. Had to replace the right rear tire on the trailer with the spare in Tucumcari after finding a break in the tread next to the sidewall during the fuel stop, probably a rock cut. Awning spring broke during extension in Albuquerque, thought I had been shot or they just dropped the bomb on top of me. Somewhere during the drop, cover and grab the weapon, I figured out that I was still intact and there must be another answer. Ye Ha!

During the trip back we got about 9 MPG most of the time. I guess I need to look at trading the Chevy off for a Ford, NOT! Poor old truck got rode hard and put to bed wet but came back to fight another day. Them Chevy's are just hard to beat. I still have to put together the full cost and MPG and all that but...WW and Chevy did the deal and got us home again. Passed a brand new 37 or 39 SLC on I40 being pulled by a 3/4 ton Chevy, wow, what a ride that must have been.

Sure miss that cold air, nights in the 40's and days in the 70-80 range. Saw a lot of Elk and Antelope and saw one big black bear.

AND, the ice maker ran great off the inverter in the Jeep, Made all the ice we needed and never ran the batteries down in the Jeep. Love it when a plan comes together.

Also, I can report that the waste disposal pump works as advertised. Pumped the Poop tank 125 ft to the pit toilets through 75ft of 3/4 hose and 50ft of 5/8 hose. Emptied the tank in about 3 minutes. Ground it all up and spit it out!

After spending 10 days with all the family in the trailer, including a 85 yr old Father-in-law that can't figure out how to open the door and a 3 yr old grandson that doesn't know the meaning of quiet and a 13 yr old granddaughter that is still learning her sexuality, not to mention the rest of the group, I have had enough of the group thing.

Ready for some peace and quiet!!!!!

Thank goodness this one is in the books.

I'm ready for Moab!!!

Can I leave the wife at home?
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, Except for the rest of the unloading we made it back. Got the trailer plugged in and the air set to 80 so its good to go until we can get the rest of the stuff out and can shut it all down.

Whew! I'm beat. Made it out to New Mexico going into a 30 MPH headwind. Hummm, give or take 7.0 MPG at 75, sometimes slower. Paid a high of 2.45 for diesel in Tucumcari on the way back. Had to replace the right rear tire on the trailer with the spare in Tucumcari after finding a break in the tread next to the sidewall during the fuel stop, probably a rock cut. Awning spring broke during extension in Albuquerque, thought I had been shot or they just dropped the bomb on top of me. Somewhere during the drop, cover and grab the weapon, I figured out that I was still intact and there must be another answer. Ye Ha!

During the trip back we got about 9 MPG most of the time. I guess I need to look at trading the Chevy off for a Ford, NOT! Poor old truck got rode hard and put to bed wet but came back to fight another day. Them Chevy's are just hard to beat. I still have to put together the full cost and MPG and all that but...WW and Chevy did the deal and got us home again. Passed a brand new 37 or 39 SLC on I40 being pulled by a 3/4 ton Chevy, wow, what a ride that must have been.

Sure miss that cold air, nights in the 40's and days in the 70-80 range. Saw a lot of Elk and Antelope and saw one big black bear.

AND, the ice maker ran great off the inverter in the Jeep, Made all the ice we needed and never ran the batteries down in the Jeep. Love it when a plan comes together.

Also, I can report that the waste disposal pump works as advertised. Pumped the Poop tank 125 ft to the pit toilets through 75ft of 3/4 hose and 50ft of 5/8 hose. Emptied the tank in about 3 minutes. Ground it all up and spit it out!

After spending 10 days with all the family in the trailer, including a 85 yr old Father-in-law that can't figure out how to open the door and a 3 yr old grandson that doesn't know the meaning of quiet and a 13 yr old granddaughter that is still learning her sexuality, not to mention the rest of the group, I have had enough of the group thing.

Ready for some peace and quiet!!!!!

Thank goodness this one is in the books.

I'm ready for Moab!!!

Can I leave the wife at home?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:16 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Welcome home Tom. That journal is a hoot. You should put it in print. I always loved arriving at Tucumcari when escaping the east coast. I knew I had finally arrived in the west. Happy Trails!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hoverbug, thanks for the spelling correction. Spell checker just won't catch everything, will it.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:31 AM   #5

Tom, Welcome home Glad to see you back. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Also glad another CHevy owner is here. You got some reading to catch up on. These Ford owners.....

Don

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks Griz, You know how it is: When the cats away the mice will play. But thats ok, gives them something to feel good about which they sorely need.

Well, ran the totals, 1639 miles, half of it into a 20-30 MPH headwind, all running at 75 whenever possible and some mountain climbing, used 191.5 gal for 8.55 MPG with a gross weight around 24K. Paid an average of 2.34 a gal.

Boy, just love to listen to that Dmax running at 2250 with the turbo whining.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #7

Tom,

Glad you made it back safely, with no real problems.

I'll be doing the L.A. to Missoula, MT to Lincoln NE to L.A. trip next week. Most of the trip will be truck only, pulling a U-Hall from Missoula to Lincoln. Should be a good break in for the new truck. Can't wait to see fuel prices!!!

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #8

Welcome back Tom..........

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the ice maker ran great off the inverter in the Jeep, Made all the ice we needed and never ran the batteries down in the Jeep. Love it when a plan comes together. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> All ready for Moab.....Great.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'll be doing the L.A. to Missoula, MT to Lincoln NE to L.A. trip next week. Most of the trip will be truck only, pulling a U-Hall from Missoula to Lincoln. Should be a good break in for the new truck. Can't wait to see fuel prices!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That ought to give it a good run. Maybe the fuel prices will be cheaper than in Calif anyway. I think the cheapest fuel is in Ok and Ga. I see diesel here is down to 2.07 this week. or I should say day since it goes up and down by the hour almost.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">All ready for Moab.....Great </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Wes, Yep, a little PM work, set of new treads, awning repaired and I'll be ready.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:51 AM   #11

Welcome back. Glad to hear there were no major disassedhers.
I am going to Lake Murray this Thursday to spend four days and check out the ATV park they have there. Brother-in-law and sister-in-law are joining us Saturday with their quads.
If there is any info I can get for you and the Boomers, let me know in the next couple of days. You can PM me if you like.
Later.

Larry

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks Larry, but when I got back it looks like the group had already made up their minds on where to go. Looks like "Terra Starr" down on lake Eufaula just South of Checotah. Might as well saddle up and come spend a weekend with us "old folks". Its Sept 30, Oct 1st and 2nd.

Thanks again for the offer.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #13

Senoir Tomas!!

Gosh...glad you're back buddy! Not that we didn't have some fun around here, but we definutely were missing a 'key ingredient'!!

Boy...I could imagine what kinda racket that awning spring musta had when she let loose, but at least it appears you came out unscathed.

And what's this about wanting to leave the DW home for the Moab trip? After 40 years and you can still talk that way? PLEASE tell me your secret!

Hey...VERY glad to have ya back...post on amigo!!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote