Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2003, 03:40 AM   #1

We went yesterday to our nearest dealer that sells the Dutchmen SRV 5th wheel. (2 hours away) I have asked folks about their experiences with this model (though very few), looked at pics & specs on the web, studied the brochure and then we went yesterday to veiw 2 that were on the lot (already sold and waiting for their owners to pick up). I just fell in love with this toy hauler! It has all the eye appeal and room that we were wanting PLUS a very nice separate garage area. We even talked numbers with the dealer and it sounds great. (we'll talk even further numbers when ready to buy, )

They have another model coming in next week, but if we've not sold our toy hauler by then, we'll order one later, which will take about 4 to 8 weeks to come in. (that's okay).

I feel really good about this SRV. We both like it very much. The only thing that is lurking behind the shadows and sometimes shows it's ugly head is the folks that say Thor is of poor quality, etc. I've not talked with one owner of a Dutchmen SRV that regrets buying one....so, we're in love with it, and hope all goes well. Buying pending sale of our rig, which I hope won't take long...but who knows.

Another model we also liked by the online pics and specs is a K-Z Sportster 5th wheel toyhauler. This is a more expensive model, but the nearest dealer is 4 and a half hours away and it's SO hard to figure out if they're willing to come down on their price enough for us to go up there to see it. Just WAY too hard to deal this far away. (we bought our Jayco from a dealer 4 hours away, but we were already within our price range when we went up).

Thanks to all of you that helped. Any continued advice or comments will be very welcome!

Rhonda in NC, 2002 Jayco Talon ZX 28 Ft. Toyhauler, 2002 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic, 2003 Chevy 2500 HD Ext Cab 4x4, Duramax/Allison, Husband Allyn, and 2 teenaged daughters!! Nice Haul!

Rhonda in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2003, 03:40 AM   #2

We went yesterday to our nearest dealer that sells the Dutchmen SRV 5th wheel. (2 hours away) I have asked folks about their experiences with this model (though very few), looked at pics & specs on the web, studied the brochure and then we went yesterday to veiw 2 that were on the lot (already sold and waiting for their owners to pick up). I just fell in love with this toy hauler! It has all the eye appeal and room that we were wanting PLUS a very nice separate garage area. We even talked numbers with the dealer and it sounds great. (we'll talk even further numbers when ready to buy, )

They have another model coming in next week, but if we've not sold our toy hauler by then, we'll order one later, which will take about 4 to 8 weeks to come in. (that's okay).

I feel really good about this SRV. We both like it very much. The only thing that is lurking behind the shadows and sometimes shows it's ugly head is the folks that say Thor is of poor quality, etc. I've not talked with one owner of a Dutchmen SRV that regrets buying one....so, we're in love with it, and hope all goes well. Buying pending sale of our rig, which I hope won't take long...but who knows.

Another model we also liked by the online pics and specs is a K-Z Sportster 5th wheel toyhauler. This is a more expensive model, but the nearest dealer is 4 and a half hours away and it's SO hard to figure out if they're willing to come down on their price enough for us to go up there to see it. Just WAY too hard to deal this far away. (we bought our Jayco from a dealer 4 hours away, but we were already within our price range when we went up).

Thanks to all of you that helped. Any continued advice or comments will be very welcome!

Rhonda in NC, 2002 Jayco Talon ZX 28 Ft. Toyhauler, 2002 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic, 2003 Chevy 2500 HD Ext Cab 4x4, Duramax/Allison, Husband Allyn, and 2 teenaged daughters!! Nice Haul!

Old 09-21-2003, 07:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Rhonda

Keep in mind that you can play price games on line just as easy as in person. I have played one against the other for two weeks on line to get the price down, even if they are 4 hrs away. Thor has not had a good reputation in the past but that is not to say they haven't come up in the world lately. All you can do is look at the quality and make your best judgement based on everything you see.

Tom

2002 3500 Chevy CC D/A JUICED!
66 Vette, 89 Vette, 19ft Astro bass boat/200 hp mercury, 97 Jeep Wrangler 4/4, 2003 SLC 3705 WW,
So many toy's, not enough time!
PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/finleyt1
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 12:44 AM   #4

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I could only get the K-Z guy to come down 4k off the retail online. He says management won't let him talk further numbers unless I go up there (4 and a half hours away) and are very serious about buying. I've emailed this guy back and forth for almost 2 weeks. We ALMOST were able to go up there this past Sat, but that fell through. Now, our window of opportunity on going up there soon is gone. (my husband starts working 7-12 for a month now), so that 2003 will be gone then I'm sure. If we knew the price would have come down alot (but it would have had to come down another 4K at least) we would have made some time to go somehow. Kinda frustrating, lol!

Thanks again!

Old 09-22-2003, 08:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
While "eye appeal" is great, you need to be worried about reputationand how well the trailer is built. K-Z has a much better reputation in the industry than does Thor/Dutchman. I guess you can say...you pays your money and takes your chances.

As for the dealer that is so far away and not willing to deal, one more email and tel him you are ready to buy if he has what you want at the right price. You want his rock bottom price fro the trailer NOW and mean it. Just tell him you will make your decision on his price online and not drive up there to dicker and find you have a better price at home.

Just be firm.

Ken W

New-old 1995 Avion 36.5M toted by a 1997 Ford F-350 Dually Crewcab PSD, SCMT,Down pipe, 4" exhaust, MagnaFlow mufffler, RideRite air springs and Jordan 2020 controller http://irv2review.com/photopost/show...php?photo=1411. Travel with a Miniature Schnauzer and two small Parrots.---Practicing for our retirement! Have Flamingo, will travel!
Check out the Texas Boomers at http://www.texasboomers.org/
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:35 PM   #6
Elk

I have a Tahoe, which is made by thor, and I too was afraid, but our dealer has been awsome with the couple of minor problems I have had. I feel the Tahoe thor product is so much superior then my piesec of junk Fleetwood 33g toyhauler I had before. Needless to say I am a happy THor camper.

His-2003 Dodge cummins
Hers-1997 Dodge cummins bombed
Ours-2003 Tahoe Transport 33 5er

Hers-1997 Dodge cummins bombed
Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:02 AM   #7

Hi Ken, Just by chance I did that very thing before I read your post. I told him what the $ we're willing to pay was but he emailed me back that his rock bottom was 3500.00 more than that. That about ended our emailing I think. Oh well.

Old 09-23-2003, 01:04 AM   #8

Thank you Elk, that's very reassuring to find a happy Thor owner. Thanks!

Rhonda

Old 09-23-2003, 07:14 AM   #9

Rhonda,

You can count me in the group of happy Thor owners also. We've used ours several times this year with no problems!

sarhog

2002 F-250 XLT PSD auto 4x4 shortbed, 15K Husky roller hitch
Tahoe Transport 27TB 5th wheel toyhauler
Honda XR400R
Harley ElectraGlide

sarhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:44 AM   #10

Rhonda, go for it. I have a 2003 Dutchmen 35 SRV. Bought it a year ago. Have pulled it less than 10,000 miles so far. Lived in it for over three months plus lots of weekend trips. It has given very good service so far. It is really nice having that 10 ft. garage on the back end. Very easy to load/unload the motorcycle/four wheeler.

Charlie

2004 Meridian 34H
Fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 10:50 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Well, after reading all these comments, all I can say is that Dutchmen's quality must have improved very radically since the mid '90s!

Rusty

----------------------
Tower - 2002 Dodge 3500 Cummins HO/6 speed/4.10LS SLT+ QC LB dually
Towee - 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS 36' triple slide 5ver
Travel Companions - Our two Shelties, Brittany and the Bandit!
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally AND at the 2004 iRV2.com National Rally in Boerne, TX
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:00 AM   #12

Rhonda,
My wife and I took delivery on an 03 Dutchmen 35 SRV early this spring and just fell in love with it. We have traveled over 7500 mi this year with just a couple very minor items that the dealer just took care of. We are very happy with this product and would recommend this unit. Just as a side note, when you order one try to get all the options you can afford especially the fantastic fans. If you can only get one fan get it in the garage area, you won't be sorry. We looked for two years before we decided on this unit and felt it was the best option for us in the price range we wanted to pay.
Smokin Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 05:35 AM   #13
Zig

We were shopping for a small toyhauler, but Dear Wife insisted on a full size bathroom (not the kind with the shower over the stool). We looked at Starcraft, they had a small one, but just did not like my dealer. We had a pop-up that we bought from them and did not like the service that we got. One day we were traveling to brother-in-law's wedding pre-party, We stopped at a RV dealer in Troy Ohio. Yep they had exactly what we wanted, gave us a good price, we were a little late to party.
We have been satisfied with the quality, did have a water pipe break due to sloppy manufacture, but, very satisfied with the quality of appliances. So far so good.

Better to Zig then Zag!
Tahoe Wanderer Wagon
Silverado 1500HD
Yamaha V-Max

Tahoe Wanderer Wagon
Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 03:51 PM   #14

We love our 35SRV.......Haul our trike in on vacation.........JB.http://users.tc3net.com/jbrown/
Jerry Browning is offline   Reply With Quote