Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:26 AM   #1

Where do you put your loft ladder and patio steps

I'm having a new th being built with a completely finished garage and a second master bedroom/ bathroomthat will be done in a few months and were trying to decide were we want too store these while were traveling. We are also ful timers and i don't want to damage my finished floor by just laying them down on the floor. The only thing we can come up with at this point is to put a moving blanket down on the liftable bed and set the ladders and stairs on that and strap them down. It's this the best method?
Im also curious to know if the patio stairs will store in the tire rack with 1 spare tire?
What are you doing with these items during travel so nothing gets damaged ?
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #2

We donít take the extra ladder with us, it is at home in the barn. Used to carry and it would slide off of bunk, or out from under mattress, and could damage the floor, besides our toy hauler only sleeps 2, ha, no guest sleep overs, so donít need ladder anyways.
WeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRetired View Post
We donít take the extra ladder with us, it is at home in the barn. Used to carry and it would slide off of bunk, or out from under mattress, and could damage the floor, besides our toy hauler only sleeps 2, ha, no guest sleep overs, so donít need ladder anyways.
Our loft is gong to be our storage/ pantry so we will definitly have to have it. I'll also note that we eliminated the happi jac bunks and kept the queen liftable bed wich we will put a good mattress on as its just going to be my bedroom. If i put them on the bed then strap them down and raise it, does the bed have to go all the way up for travel or can I stop it at any point and it be secure
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #4

The bed should travel in any position you wish. Like you said, just tie everything down and go have fun.
WeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRetired View Post
The bed should travel in any position you wish. Like you said, just tie everything down and go have fun.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #6

We eliminated the patio steps. Too bulky and more of a pain than they are worth. Bunk ladder we strap to bed and raise up. Works perfectly. I actually attached the strap to the bed frame under the mattress and it wraps over the ladder which is on top of the mattress and clips.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
We eliminated the patio steps. Too bulky and more of a pain than they are worth. Bunk ladder we strap to bed and raise up. Works perfectly. I actually attached the strap to the bed frame under the mattress and it wraps over the ladder which is on top of the mattress and clips.
Sounds like a perfect plan for that ladder. I deleted one of my Patio steps and I'm going to take the one I get to use as needed between both patios. I'm really hoping that i can just pull out the tire rack and set it on there and strap it on then push out back under.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #8

We use a telescoping ladder. Easier to store. Works well for other ladder required actions. Similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/SHZOND-Alumin...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 06-23-2021, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrsandman View Post
We use a telescoping ladder. Easier to store. Works well for other ladder required actions. Similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/SHZOND-Alumin...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
You use that indoors? We had one and sold it because we never used it ,go figure.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #10

Use indoors for loft and bunk access. Have non slip carpet to protect floor. A lot sturdier than the flimsy one that came w/the RV.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #11

When we bought our Toy Hauler, the patio access steps went straight into my sticks and bricks detached garage and they hang on a wall there....I simply have Zero use for them.

The ladder that came with the trailer for access to the bunk is stored in the garage area. Here is a picture of it just hanging around, waiting to be used...
I hung it up there using the Quick Fist clamps and made sure that they were screwed into a structural member of the bunk area......2 x 2 or 2 x 4 framing pieces....

xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:31 AM   #12

We don't use the OEM loft ladder or the rear patio ladder.

When we have the rear patio down and the railings set up we enter/exit from the garage side door and never wanted access onto the patio from the ground.

As far as the loft ladder goes it was really not that handy unless you were a 12 year old kid. We needed a folding 4-step stool anyway to reach stuff in the upper kitchen cabinets to we just use that same stool to get stored stuff in and out of the loft area.

Whatever we were going to use for getting up in the loft or reaching higher kitchen cabinets I certainly wanted inside the fiver and not outside somewhere. It would be a bummer to have to go outside in a rain storm to retrieve a step stool just to get something out of the loft.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
We don't use the OEM loft ladder or the rear patio ladder.

When we have the rear patio down and the railings set up we enter/exit from the garage side door and never wanted access onto the patio from the ground.

As far as the loft ladder goes it was really not that handy unless you were a 12 year old kid. We needed a folding 4-step stool anyway to reach stuff in the upper kitchen cabinets to we just use that same stool to get stored stuff in and out of the loft area.

Whatever we were going to use for getting up in the loft or reaching higher kitchen cabinets I certainly wanted inside the fiver and not outside somewhere. It would be a bummer to have to go outside in a rain storm to retrieve a step stool just to get something out of the loft.
nice comment, I'm getting the impression that most folks don't use there patio steps and end up getting rid of them.

Tags
steps