RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #1

Wolfpack fifth wheel quality?

We just sold our stryker travel trailer toy hauler. We enjoyed our time with it even with a few bumps in the road. We are looking at fifth wheel toy haulers. Something in the gvwr rating in the 16k lb range. We went to an rv show recently and really fell in love with a wolfpack 312 pack13. Now the price seemed just to good to be true so this is why I ask, are there major quality issues with these units? I've read and heard nightmare stories about forest river products but im also aware that forums tend to only speak of the bad things. Just seems like all the Floorplans we like most are either an xlr nitro or wolfpack. Any input would be great, good and bad. Thank you.
Elev8torguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #2

Generally speaking there won't be much difference between various manufacturers in the various classes of RVs. The pricing can generally tell you what level they are. Don't be fooled by the brochure advertising because just about everything is "luxury" in their words. Again generally all manufacturers have amenity and quality levels in their lines. Just about all frames come from Lippert and this frames are made to the manufacturers specs. Look at the trailer's weight and available cargo capacity. Most will list a UVW which unfortunately has no standard definition. Some use a "typically ordered units by dealers" as what they publish. To get an idea for trailers that have various options, look at similar units on dealers lots and what optional equipment they have installed at the factory. Example, generators, slide awnings, televisions, extra air conditioners, etc. If you can find an example you like on a dealer's lot, look at the sticker on the left side front for the UVW. That's how it left the factory and does not include propane, batteries or any other dealer added items.

That said, weight can give you a good idea of the quality of the trailer. If you look at one 32' 5th wheel and the UVW is 12K and another is 9K, likely the frame on one is smaller and flimsier. Cabinets likely will be lighter and less substantial. Etc. for other things.

Not a lot of difference in factory QC between a Forest River vs Thor vs Grand Design vs ?????. The customer service of the manufacturer and dealer will make or break an RV owning experience. For me I avoid anything with Lite, Ultralite, half-ton towable because that means "under built".
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #3

i cannot speak for current models of wolfpack fivers. i do currently own a 2021 genesis supreme toyhauler. i sold my 2011 wolfpack 295wp fifthwheel downsize as i cross 3 state lines on my dune trips. i bought that 295wp new off the lot at cheyenne camping center for $25k in 2011. prices has gone up considerably since then, however quality doesnt to appear to have. so at the time they called that 295wp an entry level model......compared to the entry level model genensis i now have, that 2011 295 wp was a tru luxury model lol i had 3 or 4 issues with it and they were appliances and nothing extremem to fix. it only had a 3400lb ccc and that not enough for anyone with sand rails or turbo sxs's. i pulled the happijac bed/couch system as the complete system adds up to 750 lbs. it towed well and weathered very well ( parked in a building when not in use), just got tired of towing a 34' (oal) across 3 state lines after 9 years.

i do agree with chunker in his above post.
that 2011 was maxed out on the frame and why i never installed stonger axles. so basically , figure out the weight of your toy and gear and buy one that gives you 1000 /1500 lbs to spare. most dont advertise axle upgrades and dont offer them on all models but there are a few manufacturers that do offer them. if they offer say a 8k lbs axle upgrade from say 7k lbs axles, then you atleast know that unit has a better frame to start with.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #4

What I don't wanna buy is something that is going to be a constant headache. I fixed everything that had broken on my last camper except the garage door. Mostly easy stuff. Refrigerator board was the most time consuming but only 150.00 board. I really like the wolfpack floor plans and the look of the camper also. Looks super sharp to me.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elev8torguy View Post
What I don't wanna buy is something that is going to be a constant headache. I fixed everything that had broken on my last camper except the garage door. Mostly easy stuff. Refrigerator board was the most time consuming but only 150.00 board. I really like the wolfpack floor plans and the look of the camper also. Looks super sharp to me.
Thus the dilemma that everyone faces when buying an RV, especially new. You get to be the "factory finally assembler" and QC repair guy. The industry is pushing them out the door as fast as they can and quality suffers. Crap shoot at best. Sadly there is no good answer except get as knowledgeable as you can and go on owner's forums and look for trends. Expect to fix a lot of stuff yourself unless you don't mind having it parked at the dealer for weeks/months on end waiting for them to fix or get authorization to fix. You probably know this but an appointment at an RV dealer only means he expects to have room at the back of the lot to park your RV while they work through everyone ahead of you.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:00 AM   #6

Yes. Im aware.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #7

to be honest, i wouldn't buy any unit until there caught up. i have read a whole lot of posts of 2021 models with real assebly issues. there so far behind that there kicking them out even faster. might be better off waiting a little while or looking at some used models.

i dont think wolf pack is a bad model, infact i think there no different from most all the other similar other toyhaulers out of indiana. the west coast forest river plant has to compete with the west coast toyhauler manufacturers so those units are built better than the indiana plant. you might look at eclipse manufacturing. they are toyhauler only, offer attitude, iconic and stellar brand toyhaulers. they offer axle upgrades and are towed offroad daily buy the vast majority of customers. now, having said that, they are not 4 season units. this may have changed now that they have 2 dealers in michigan and wisconsin ( i believe those 2 states). i bought a genesis and there basic model ( i mean basic basic) i did so as i wanted the least amount of camper as that is what fails. since i haul fullsized toys it's tohy first camper second. i have yet to find an indiana built toyhauler that works based on ccc an a 14n garage. many say 14n but when measures they are 2 or 3 feet short! this is where sundowner, lakota, merhow, atc and eclipse come in. i do like the attitude gsg toyhauler. it has an L shaped island in the kitchen thats part of the slide. its uniqe which stands out imo.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #8

here is the attitude 35 gsg i referred to.

https://youtu.be/zsIOCoxh8uQ
Old 11-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #9

the 3016 https://youtu.be/zAHIILlaXIE
Old 11-20-2020, 04:32 PM   #10

i kind of like the stw toyhaulers also....

[url=https://postimg.cc/3yGYW23k][img]https://i.postimg.cc/3yGYW23k/118942124-3607487815929226-928803689725878671-o.jpg

Tags
fifth wheel, quality