Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #1

Alright guys I remember you all going through this while I was in Iraq. Now it's my turn. Went to zirk the axle fitting and boy....You pay good money so you don't have cheap things that **** you off...not in this case. The push in zirks are a joke. I stopped trying after 2 came out with the gun. Don't think I got a bit of grease in them. WW you got to be kidding me... hello.... Anyway Sean, 56, when you all get back from your outings what was the best fix for this.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #2

Alright guys I remember you all going through this while I was in Iraq. Now it's my turn. Went to zirk the axle fitting and boy....You pay good money so you don't have cheap things that **** you off...not in this case. The push in zirks are a joke. I stopped trying after 2 came out with the gun. Don't think I got a bit of grease in them. WW you got to be kidding me... hello.... Anyway Sean, 56, when you all get back from your outings what was the best fix for this.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 11-11-2006, 09:59 PM   #3

Watching this one!!!

Was able to get most of mine.

What's with 1/2 of the rear ones being ground off??? That way on both sides and on my buddy's trailer too???
DuneMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Have you checked this thread for info?

greasing axles
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:39 AM   #5

Tom How are you? Thanks for the link. Looks like I have some catching up to do. I read the thread. Lots of good info. My question now is none of the parts on my WW are worn and because I was in Iraq I really don't have many miles on her yet. I just wanted to be proactive and give them all a shot of grease. Those press in zirks are a joke. Anybody thought of just driling and taping each bolt to use screw in zirks?

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 11-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Doing good Griz, thanks.

If I remember correctly you can buy Zerk's that are self tapping, screws in with like a turn or two, that might work. I'd check with Sean first though cause he's been there and is familiar with the problem, might save you some grief.

I do agree with greasing them early, mine wasn't greased when I got it, now I hit them every spring, or when I feel like playing with my pneumatic grease gun. Good luck with the project.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grizwald2:

Griz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Griz,

My shackle bolts were did not take grease either. Turning them did not solve the problem. I had the axle manufacturer send me 24 new bolts which I installed and promptly greased.

Here are the photos of the old ones... and a new bolt

Pictures....

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #8

Howie, I haven't had the privilege of jacking the axles up yet. Obviously this will take place in front of my house on pavement so I better use something to keep from putting dimples in the pavement. Did you do one wheel at a time or did you jack up and support the frame and do all three of one side at a time? Also I don't think my bolts are in bad shape I just hate the press in zirks. I'm wondering if I just take the bolts out and clean them up and drill and tap the holes for screw in zirks. If that is not possible than what did you have to pay for 24 bolts and are they better than the original..i.e. screw in zirks?

It was great meeting you and Sandyfeet, King Salami and Lady Di. Its great putting a face to a name isn't it. It must be nice to do the camping thing for 2 weeks. Two days was not enough for me. Heck I never even got to go look at all you mods Howie.....Next year!

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 11-16-2006, 05:29 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grizwald2:
Howie, I haven't had the privilege of jacking the axles up yet. Obviously this will take place in front of my house on pavement so I better use something to keep from putting dimples in the pavement. Did you do one wheel at a time or did you jack up and support the frame and do all three of one side at a time? Also I don't think my bolts are in bad shape I just hate the press in zirks. I'm wondering if I just take the bolts out and clean them up and drill and tap the holes for screw in zirks. If that is not possible than what did you have to pay for 24 bolts and are they better than the original..i.e. screw in zirks?

It was great meeting you and Sandyfeet, King Salami and Lady Di. Its great putting a face to a name isn't it. It must be nice to do the camping thing for 2 weeks. Two days was not enough for me. Heck I never even got to go look at all you mods Howie.....Next year!

Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Griz,

I called AL-KO and spoke with the warranty folks at (574) 294-6651. I told them about the fact there was no grease in the shackles and the zerks would not accept grease. They send me 24 new bolts w/zerks .... no charge.

I think it's easier to replace the entire new bolt w/zerk as opposed to trying to press in new zerks.

I did it one wheel at a time.. but needed two jacks and a pilot bolt to finess the project.
As you push the old bolt out, use a same size bolt to keep the alignment for eazy replacement

Can you and family make it to the '07 Prez Day Rally at Spot X?

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #10

Great Info Howie, I will give them a call. Presidents day 19 Feb right. I will ask the clan. They all loved Spot X. I will let you know.

Don.

06 LE 3505