Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
10 ply vs 8 ply tires

Our travel trailer is almost due for tires looking at the tread left before hitting the wear bars. Trailer came with 8 ply tires but thinking about replacing with 10 ply tires (Maxxis 8008). Have already verified the rims are rated for the 10 ply tires. Also understand that the load capacity of 10 ply tires likely exceeds the axle ratings and we have no intention of exceeding the axle load ratings. Other than a little stiffer ride, are there any other downsides of switching to 10 ply vs 8 ply tires?

Thank you in advance for your kind responses.
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #2

If you have 16" rims that are rated for 110psi, I'd go to simple tire and order the Sailun S637. I haven't noticed any ride difference and run mine at 80psi cold. If you have 15" rims, I'd be tempted to run a high end LT E rated tire. I had a hard time finding a good 15" trailer tire years ago.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:48 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
If you have 16" rims that are rated for 110psi, I'd go to simple tire and order the Sailun S637. I haven't noticed any ride difference and run mine at 80psi cold. If you have 15" rims, I'd be tempted to run a high end LT E rated tire. I had a hard time finding a good 15" trailer tire years ago.
Thanks for the response. My apologies on not stating my tire size. Our trailer has 15 inch rims ... tires are 225/75/15 ... very common size. Our trailer is also a low rider ... the wheels actually tuck up under the wheel wells ... so no going up in rim or tire sizes without blocks between the frame and the axles. Trailer pushes 8,700 lbs loaded with water and gear. I run about 1400 lbs on the hitch ... leaving 7,300 lbs / 4 = 1,825 lbs per tire when not moving (static loading). When moving (dynamic loading) ... who knows what the weight is on the one tire when you hit a big dip or pothole in the road. Then there is the overloading on that one tire when the other tire blows out on the highway until you can get pulled over and put the spare on. I just feel better having more tire rating (ply) if available.
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Go with a set of Maxxis E rated tires. Goodyear is now also making a nice E rated trailer tire.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahEngineer View Post
Our travel trailer is almost due for tires looking at the tread left before hitting the wear bars. Trailer came with 8 ply tires but thinking about replacing with 10 ply tires (Maxxis 8008). Have already verified the rims are rated for the 10 ply tires. Also understand that the load capacity of 10 ply tires likely exceeds the axle ratings and we have no intention of exceeding the axle load ratings. Other than a little stiffer ride, are there any other downsides of switching to 10 ply vs 8 ply tires?

Normally we all want tires with some extra reserve capacity. The extra tire load capacity has nothing to do with overloading an axle. Exceeding the axles capacity with weight is the only way to overload them. Bottom line, get the LRE tires and use the load capacity reserves provide by increased tire inflation pressures.

Valve stems can be an inflation problem, make sure yours are rated tor 80 PSI+.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahEngineer View Post

Awesome that you thought of checking your rims for load and pressure ratings, most mechanics don't even do that! I definitely would go for load range E tires. The price difference from 8 to 10 ply is minimal, usually 10-15% tops. Most trailers using that size are often at the limits, sometimes overloaded. In fact, I just replaced 2 this week for one of my customers. He had 2 blowouts and was replacing on an "as needed" basis. I showed him what to look for and he brought the remaining 2 wheel assemblies this week.

Our previous trailer had the same size and load range issues, "E" tires felt more stable and we ran them at 75 psi for the most part.

We used Goodyear Marathons as we had BAD experiences using some off-brand Chinese tires (all GY were back ordered that year). The 3 year old GY Marathons on the 5er are China made, so far OK but we'll see. Maxxis isn't popular here yet, read good and not so good on them. Sailun is a brand I sell for automotive, it is my low-line tire for budget-limited customers. No real issues on qualitu but they can be noisy (on cars), don't last that long and once in awhile have pulling issues (on cars). I'd step up to a better brand.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #7

Could not happier with our Michelin defenders our 30 ft Airstream. Went up to 235-75-15. 50PSI tire. Smooth ride. Over 15k miles. Still look new.
jim6090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:25 PM   #8

I switched out the Trailer Kings our RV came with and upgraded to the Endurance E-load 10 ply. Everything has been great with them after 2 years and 15K miles.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
I switched out the Trailer Kings our RV came with and upgraded to the Endurance E-load 10 ply. Everything has been great with them after 2 years and 15K miles.
Yep, +1 on the 10 ply Goodyear Endurance tires. Just installed all 4 on our trailer along with the spare.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #10

For me, I would want a better than 65mph speed rating. To me, the speed rating tell me how well the tire is manufactured. I am thinking I will go the Goodyear Enduance when the time comes.

I know when I had a 5th wheel and put the expensive Michelin XPS ribs on it after s China bomb blew out I felt a lot better towing as tires dropped way down on my 'worry list'.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires