Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

12 Volt Problem

Any tech's out there that might provide some insight to this? I have a 2009 Komfort Trailblazer 285TSG. When plugged into shore power I have full power (lights, furnace, everything). When plugged into the tow vehicle (no shore power) I also have full power. However, as soon as I disconnect from the tow vehicle I lose all 12 volt power, lights, furnace, everything.

Any ideas? I do have solid hookups on the batteries, both positive & negative. Does this sound like a bad trailer ground? Perhaps a problem in the wiring to the converter? Anyone encounter this before?

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like the battery in the trailer might be bad, that's what takes over once you have no hook ups. Have you checked it for voltage? Also, the + or - terminals might be loose or corroded.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #3

Have you checked your battery? A bad battery or one that is only getting a surface charge is where I would start.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #4

Batteries are brand new & I have tested them - both have full charge and all connections are solid.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #5

Not to say anything one way or another but was that a VOM or load test?
Do you have 12v at the distribution panel fuses?
If your connections are good your ground from the battery is good?
Read from the positive on the battery to bare metal will let you know if the ground connection is there.

Does your 12v not work at all with battery only?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have at least 12v to your d/c panel? My guess is no, if absolutely nothing is working. If you have nothing there, it should be fairly easy to trace the cable all the way back to the battery.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #7

I will be testing the ground as you suggest, however I do think it's ok because the slide is 12 volt direct wired (not through the converter) and it does operate just fine.

Haven't tested the 12V at the distribution panel yet, but a buddy, who is a skilled electrician will be assisting me with that soon. Figured I would let him help so I don't fry what limited hair I have left.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #8

Again just because it is something I would slap the forehead with a closed hand if I did it. If the slide is wired direct, you have 2 wires on the battery (if there is 2 wires at that point)?
Also they did not put a fuse in line with the distribution panel, I would follow the trailer plug wire to see where the battery and it come together.
One more thing that comes to mind is the connection at the converter.

Brain fart... do you have a 40 amp (or so) in your 12v distribution panel (reverse polarity)? Are they OK?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Again just because it is something I would slap the forehead with a closed hand if I did it. If the slide is wired direct, you have 2 wires on the battery (if there is 2 wires at that point)?
Also they did not put a fuse in line with the distribution panel, I would follow the trailer plug wire to see where the battery and it come together.
One more thing that comes to mind is the connection at the converter.

Brain fart... do you have a 40 amp (or so) in your 12v distribution panel (reverse polarity)? Are they OK?
Yes I have 2 40 amps in the distr panel for reverse polarity. Tested continuity on both & they are ok.

I will start from the beginning & trace the positive lead back to see if I missed an inline fuse. Then I will trace the neg lead back and check all grounds to make sure they are secure. If all is ok there, I will test the 12V coming into the distr panel to see if it is ok.

All the responses are great - giving confirmation to some of my own thoughts, plus contributing new ones.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #10

Do you have a battery disconnect switch?
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
Do you have a battery disconnect switch?
Yes, but I have tested it and it operates properly. I even bypassed it and end up with the same result. Thanks though - good idea.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #12

PROBLEM SOLVED: Thanks to SteveAE from another rv forum.

Steve has the same type of trailer that I have & pointed out they have a fuse hidden up inside the underbelly of the trailer. I did find it & it was an auto-reset fuse that had tripped.

Crazy place to put a fuse, but problem solved.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
PROBLEM SOLVED: Thanks to SteveAE from another rv forum.

Steve has the same type of trailer that I have & pointed out they have a fuse hidden up inside the underbelly of the trailer. I did find it & it was an auto-reset fuse that had tripped.

Crazy place to put a fuse, but problem solved.
Awesome! Share the hiding place (and include a photo if you can) for future generations who may have this problem!
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #14

I have tried to share photo's but must be technologically challenged. It's easy to find -- trace the trailer lead that plugs into the tow vehicle back to under the trailer. You will find a plate where the wires go up into the underbelly. Remove the plate & you will see the fuse.