RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Letís just hope campgrounds donít turn into a sea of generators running.
Too late. I was at Yellowstone maybe 4-5 years ago, off season, and it was pretty bad. That was the worst I've run into though.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Agree that if you boondock a lot then a 12v compressor refrigerator probably is not a good idea.
My concern is you might not have electricity when you expect it, sort of like how on my trip in March I expected to have water and didn't. Fortunately my partial tank was enough. Same concern about a battery not being enough, but the resulting smells might be different!
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #73

Quote:
My guess is if 12 volt fridges gain in popularity, so will generators running all day in campgrounds.
??? why mine lasts about 3 days boondocking with no solar on it yet before I have to top the batteries up. I have a bank of (4) 6 volts for a power source and compared to the residential fridge we had in there it's a power sipper. that residential one may last a day without drawing the batteries down, (yes it cooled faster and colder but you paid for that by power usage.) if I could talk my wife into it I'd go back to the 12v/propane/electric unit, but the only one that has the cubic ft that I want is a "nevercold" norcold fire hazzard so that's out. 15-30 minutes to top up the batteries with my genset also (which isn't all day by any stretch of imagination (yes, I assume you are being hyperbolic, or at least I hope you are not serious about the all day thing since most campgrounds have power) and I've been to state parks that even have it.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #74

Expecting water and not finding it is bad. I ran into this situation a few times. Also one time in Maryland at Rocky Gap State Park when all the electric sites were full and I had to use a non electric site in another section of the park. Lucky I had my generator.

Getting water in my area usually is easy enough. But sometimes not. There are 3 springs in the area but on a dry summer the springs dry up...ugh.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #75

Figure the cost of an elec site vs a dry site. Multiply that by how many nights you camp.
My guess is that everyone would be able to pay for 1-3 additional batteries for the 12V fridge.
Not everyone likes dry camping and if you're always at elec sites then this conversation is mute as any fridge would work for you.
However with a 12V fridge and mostly elec camping you can still run the fridge while traveling down the road and not having to rely on propane.
JMO but 12V fridges will never become mainstream. Too one way for most.
Pro's and con's for both.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:41 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by keastab View Post
??? why mine lasts about 3 days boondocking with no solar on it yet before I have to top the batteries up. I have a bank of (4) 6 volts for a power source and compared to the residential fridge we had in there it's a power sipper. that residential one may last a day without drawing the batteries down, (yes it cooled faster and colder but you paid for that by power usage.) if I could talk my wife into it I'd go back to the 12v/propane/electric unit, but the only one that has the cubic ft that I want is a "nevercold" norcold fire hazzard so that's out. 15-30 minutes to top up the batteries with my genset also (which isn't all day by any stretch of imagination (yes, I assume you are being hyperbolic, or at least I hope you are not serious about the all day thing since most campgrounds have power) and I've been to state parks that even have it.

No not hyperbolic at all. Been next to campers that ran a large cheap generator all day long. Not sure where you are, but in the NW, MT, ID, WY, OR, only the large state parks have power.

But I am not talking about you, I am referring to the new units with 12v fridges that will only come with one or two group 27 batteries. Cheap converters that will take hours to recharge.

When we pull into one of our favorite ďoff the beaten pathĒ campgrounds the first thing I look for is generators, and I get as far away as possible.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #77

Quote:
No not hyperbolic at all. Been next to campers that ran a large cheap generator all day long. Not sure where you are, but in the NW, MT, ID, WY, OR, only the large state parks have power.

But I am not talking about you, I am referring to the new units with 12v fridges that will only come with one or two group 27 batteries. Cheap converters that will take hours to recharge.

When we pull into one of our favorite “off the beaten path” campgrounds the first thing I look for is generators, and I get as far away as possible.
x2. Funny this came up. The wife and I were driving home yesterday and passed a truck and trailer where the guy had a contractors gen in the bed. My wife said, "He's got a one of those noisy generators" Sad when even our wives notice stuff like that.
In all fairness to the guy I'm guessing he was out hunting and was probably away from people. But yeah there's nothing worse than a contractors gen running at 7:30 in morning when quiet time starts at 8:00 am.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:53 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Juane View Post
Again, an apple to oranges comparison.

How many propane filling stations do you come across while sailing the world? I'd venture to say very few. The weight capacity of any reasonable sized boat as far as batteries will well outnumber the load capacity of an already overloaded RV. And solar is about the same capacity as a very small RV so while that might be a close match, propane is just not stored on a boat or available at any port, so you are pretty much "sunk" even if you wanted a propane fridge and you are stuck "amp packing" or converting petro to chemical energy and thus you are still relying totally on fossil fuels, only the liquid kind instead of gas.

Other reasons you might shy away from propane on the boat:
https://www.boatus.com/app/views/201812/how-to-handle-propane-on-a-boat.asp

Sorry my friend none of that is correct in my experience . I own a 35. Ft sailboat and have for 27 years. It has propane and expensive but high tech batteries and not hordes of them. The batteries can be recharged by our solar, our alternator, or 3 stage charger if hooked to electricity. Our electrical diet on the boat is 80 ah - 100 ah a day. Compatible to an RV with LED lights and 12 volt refrigerator. Itís not about propane not being available to us as itís found in most ports world wide. Propane is inherently more dangerous...period, Dont get me wrong I even have a propane outboard for our dinghy, but you cannot leave it on in The RV when not traveling. So potentially an 8 hour day with no cooling of you pr RV refrigerator if itís the old school kind, whereas a refrigerator with 12 volt could run all day with the batteries keeping their full charge through the solar panel and trucks alternator.

Propane refrigerators are old school, good for their time, but will continue to be replaced by 12v . Especially by the continued advances in battery technology. 12 V is cleAner energy, less likely to fail . Time marches on for everything. If you donít march with it, you get left behind
Sailing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:21 PM   #79

Quote:
Having 600aH/day available power would be a luxury for many. In contrast when speaking of the smaller "dual-inline house-battery chamber" campers, assuming a couple of GC2's the aH will be a little over 200aH in most cases, which with lead/acid we assume with the 50% recommended daily drain-down would yield a budget of 100aH/day for this camp of campers. I have been living 4 years full-time with 100aH as a daily energy supply and I use close to the full 100aH every day with 2 laptops, phones, tablets, water pump, LED and furnace in the winter and many fans in the summer. Sure my energy usage goes way down on the 77 days and at 80F, I scarcely open a window so in this example, a 77 degree day would not require many fans if at all and of course no furnace. Adding a compressor fridge to my own rig and telling me to deal with 42aH (100-58) a day instead of 100aH would be a "blow" that I could not handle personally and thus this would drive me into thousands spent for a lithium upgrade to enjoy an additional 58aH battery supply to drive a compressor fridge.

The LiP last for 10 years easily. Yes itís expensive but you can draw them down to 0 vrs 50%. They weigh half as much, take charge even faster than AGM. Have 3-5000 cycles compared to 1000 AGM or 400 wet cell. The price will drop as mass production starts.

Battery capacity because of Teslaís innovations is going through a paradigm shift. The batteries of yesteryear are quickly becoming dinosaurs. Even the solar cells are seeing dramatic innovations.

Using fossil fuels for energy will get more and more scare as America and the world retools itself to electric.

Last year the first where I saw a trickle of sailboat diesel engines being replaced by electric ones with small generators and solar charging.
Sailing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #80

Quote:
Again, an apple to oranges comparison.

How many propane filling stations do you come across while sailing the world? I'd venture to say very few. The weight capacity of any reasonable sized boat as far as batteries will well outnumber the load capacity of an already overloaded RV. And solar is about the same capacity as a very small RV so while that might be a close match, propane is just not stored on a boat or available at any port, so you are pretty much "sunk" even if you wanted a propane fridge and you are stuck "amp packing" or converting petro to chemical energy and thus you are still relying totally on fossil fuels, only the liquid kind instead of gas.

Other reasons you might shy away from propane on the boat:
https://www.boatus.com/app/views/201812/how-to-handle-propane-on-a-boat.asp
The reason I mentioned this is because the 12 volt 120 volt worked well with a four battery bank. I realize most boats don't have propane but actually some do, it's stored in outside lockers vented below the floor due to the gas being heavier than air. I wish I had a three way in the coach, it would be handy for those tunnels which require the propane to be turned off and also when the onboard tank depletes.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #81

I have a class B with an electric fridge and love it. Always on, and I never have to think about it. It draws about 2 to 3 amps. That's it. It really depends on what your battery situation is. The best case scenario is that you have at least 400amp lithium and maybe a solar panel or two with a generator or second alternator for charging. I have 500 amps and the 2nd alternator. I just never have to worry about power...or a cold beer.
RolloMartins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, refrigerator