Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #1

1977 Kit Companion 24ft bp

Hello Everyone,
I am a newbie to the travel trailer world. this is my first trailer and i am having some issues. I bought the trailer last Thursday and i knew that it had some issues. but here are the things i cant figure out and need some guidance.

1. Trailer lights(exterior)- bought a new 7way round plug and cant get any of the lights to work. I will be towing the trailer with a 2004 Chevy 1500.
2. Fridge- I don't have the propane hooked up at the moment so i cant try the gas, but plugged in the trailer electrically and the fridge doesn't kick on.
3. as i am new to this i don't know how to check and test the furnace or the water heater. so i need some help. the previous owner informed me that he couldn't get the furnace to work.
4. Fuse box(inside trailer)- i noticed that there were 5 spots for fuses and there are 4 breakers. i don't know what they are linked to.
5. Owners manual- I cant find one anywhere. i submitted a email to the company that owns kit trailers and am waiting to hear back from them.

These are just the issues i have come into for now. If anyone has ever owned a kit trailer or owns one currently or knows how to fix these issues i would ever so appreciated. I don't have a lot of money and want to take it out in two weeks. Thank you for your time.
Peays is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #2

I'll see if I can answer some of your questions.....
1. Trailer lights(exterior)- bought a new 7way round plug and cant get any of the lights to work. I will be towing the trailer with a 2004 Chevy 1500.

I have to assume you got all the wires hooked to the correct points,
you may have to open each light unit and clean the contacts and
check for burned out bulbs, there is also a lubercant that you can
buy that when applied helps to control corrosion of the contacts.
2. Fridge- I don't have the propane hooked up at the moment so i cant try the gas, but plugged in the trailer electrically and the fridge doesn't kick on.

Can't help on this one, may require a trip to the RV shop after you get
the propane hooked up or have them do it.
3. as i am new to this i don't know how to check and test the furnace or the water heater. so i need some help. the previous owner informed me that he couldn't get the furnace to work.

You need to have the propane hooked up and working to be able to
check both the furnace and waterheater.
4. Fuse box(inside trailer)- i noticed that there were 5 spots for fuses and there are 4 breakers. i don't know what they are linked to.

Again I am not an electrican, so other than using a test light as you
check each breakers and fuse holders I would recomment a mobile
mechanic or taking the TT into a repair shop.
5. Owners manual- I cant find one anywhere. i submitted a email to the company that owns kit trailers and am waiting to hear back from them.

Try shopping online at www.ebay.com for a repair manual or place
ads in some of the web sits like this one asking if someone has a
similar TT would they for a price make you a copy.

These are just the issues i have come into for now. If anyone has ever owned a kit trailer or owns one currently or knows how to fix these issues i would ever so appreciated. I don't have a lot of money and want to take it out in two weeks. Thank you for your time. [/QUOTE]
Philip.Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

Ok so the fridge works. which is awesome. but the trailer lights are getting on my nerves. i have replaced all the clearance lights and working on the tail lights. but still nothing.
Peays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #4

here are a few links to light schematics for 7 pole trailer lighting, i checked all mine using a lawnmower battery and a piece of wire that i put into each pole (+) on the hookup one at a time, make absolutely shure the ground (-) is hooked up on the trailer harness it can cause you alot of grief trouble shooting the wiring

Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

7-way - 7 pole RV Travel Trailer Connector Wiring Color Code
Skip-n-Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote