Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowboy View Post
2 scales<$100 including 4' of 2X10 Put tongue on 2X10, read scales, adjust accordingly
That will work for small trailers with less than 600 pounds of tongue weight. But it won't work for even my 19' TT, which could have tongue weight over 800 pounds, unless you find bathroom scales with more than 300 pounds capacity. Even my expensive balance-beam scale goes up to only 350 pounds, and two of those wouldn't be enough if my small TT were loaded for bear with over 800 pounds tongue weight.

A tongue weight scale calibrated for tongue weights up to 2,000 pounds is the simple answer. Those will work for any TT with GVWR less than about 13,000 pounds, and they don't make many TTs that heavy. Works good. Jack up the tongue with the tongue jack, then lower the tongue onto the tongue weight scale. No math involved; just read the scale.

My Sherline Tongue Weight scale cost me about $125 online.

Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity
Sherline Tools
Code: 5780
Retail:$263.98
Price:$123.95

But if $125 is too rich for your blood, then there some pretty good DIY articles on the net that explain how to do it with a cheap bathroom scale. Here's one:
http://hildstrom.com/projects/tonguescale/index.html
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
We currently pull a 6,000 lb TT with a 2010 F-150 with the 4.7 L engine with no problems.
As far as the handling is concerned this has been one of my issues with travel trailers over the last 4 years. I am coming into this discussion with 40 years teaching/working experience in automotive also with alignment and suspension training. You can say what you like but NO SUSPENSION SHOULD BE ON THE ROAD WITHOUT THE USE OF SHOCK ABSORBERS TO DAMPEN AND REDUCE TRAILER SIDE TO SIDE AND FRONT TO BACK MOVEMENT AND SWAY. Now the question as to why don't all TT's come from the factory with shocks??? Good question except for cost and nobody asks or expects them to have shocks I don't know why.

Please don't tell me: "If it was necessary then the manufacturers would install them at the factory". Or, "You don't ride in your trailer so why have shocks." Or, "I've never had shocks on any TT I've ever owned so why start now?" I actually had one guy tell me that it was a gimmick and a waste of money. Name me one car/truck that does not have shocks.

Now as to the WHY should you consider installing them?? Every type of suspension, coil, leaf, torsion will oscillate after hitting even the smallest bump or depression in the road. You may not feel the bumps but as it occurs the suspension movement is transferred to the TT and then to the TV. Cross and side winds also affects the TT. Common sense should tell you how that would work and how it would reduce trailer sway.

I have driven a TT before and after I installed shocks and it makes a world of difference. I had to build the mounts and determine the correct shocks. It cost me about $150 and it was well worth it. If you want more information just PM me and we can discuss issues.

JMTCW
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing