Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2011 Keystone unit with front delaminating

Hello all
I have a 2011 Passport 28.5 RL. The front panel on the unit is wavy which I assume is delaminating. There are no visible leaks I can find. Inside is fine, Cargo area and closets also. Is this likely to be the filon separating from whatever was put behind it. Is this a do it yourself repair job or not? What happens if you don't do anything with it, just carry on. Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
colemole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 11:23 PM   #2

2011 Keystone unit with front delaminating

Colemole, some pics would probably be helpful
Matfam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pictures

Sorry I am technically challenged and don't know how to download pictures.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #4

My understanding is that Keystone uses essentially a heavy cardboard type of backing for those curved filon noses, to allow for the bend, instead of the thin plywood used in the side panels. Nose delamination is not unusual on those, and the only real repair is to remove and replace the whole nose panel which is pretty expensive due to the labor required to do it right. Most folks just live with it. As far as I know, it is just cosmetic.

I'll be interested if anyone has a better answer, as my trailer suffers from this issue as well.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Passport Dealer Response

I spoke with the service department of the local Passport Dealer today. It is delamination likely from glue deterioration if not a water leak. I have kept up the caulking over the years. There is no visible leaking inside at the front or anywhere else.
Dealer suggest live with it. It is an expensive fix and primarily cosmetic if no leaks. Only way to tell for sure is to strip the front which is $1000.00 they say and then you have to repair which is additional cost. Recommend live with it. So that's what we will do for now and see how unsightly it gets.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:49 AM   #6

If you can swing it, why not trade out of it before all the equity is gone due to the delam. Iíve debated with fellow campers before about aluminum skinned trailers being the better choice depending on what region of North America you live in. Fiberglass is only good for the Southwest regions where itís hot and dry. Cold, wet, and snowy regions should avoid fiberglass at all costs. JMO, but Iíve read and seen this issue too many times not to have a strong opinion. Trade out of it while you can; if youíre able.
Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trade Out

That's a thought. I am concerned about living with it. It seems to me all that flexing on the front panel will result in leaks over time with all that movement while traveling. I am happy with the layout. I note that many trailers even with a moulded front traveling down the road deflect to some degree. No easy or obvious answers.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:42 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One thing for sure, it will not get better by itself and unless the dealer increases the support behind it then it will just flex again and you will be in the same boat. If you think you will get more cash than the repair costs then repair and sell. Otherwise I would sell as is. But then again my luck with dealer repairs may be affecting my judgement.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #9

Read through this and youíll see whatís there. It is indeed just cardboard. Pitiful. Just did the back wall this weekend.

This isnít just a roof replacement thread. Total overhaul. Keystones are made cheap.

New Roof question
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t
Tcounty1 is offline   Reply With Quote