Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #29

Towing of a 6,500lb travel trailer will only be 2 - 5% of it's use and most of that will be local on flat land. I will be towing a little 1,200lb BRP Seadoo GTX 230 on trailer most of the other time towing time. Other than that it will be a grocery getter or travel vehicle. Oh, I will take it to a place where a truck works best to park by the beach where a trucks ground clearance comes in handy.

I want to use the numerous state parks so I may end up with a smaller 5,000 lb travel trailer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
We have shadows taller than that in Oregon.
I'd go 1/2 ton all the way in FL.
"Now that right there's funny, I don't care who you are".

All tow rig decisions are relative to what we see and experience from our own perspectives.

Tuffr2 has a world of choices that should easily meet his needs. My magic 8-ball says he's leaning Ecoboost, 2WD. (I especially like the white EB sport package 2WD over at Sun State/Orlando)

Just for curiosity, let's see how this 3.6L Ram 1500 Crew plays out: Laramie 2WD, 3.55 anti-spin, 32 gallon tank, RamBox, Pearl White. leather. ~ $32K if they stack incentives as advertised.
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windo...RR6NG3JS191755

https://www.orlandododgechryslerjeep...RR6NG3JS191755

Otherwise, that Garber place in Green Cove Springs, has all three brands in one place, including 2019 Ram.

If the Ecodiesel ever gets on the list, Patriot07 was on target. ~ 11K off MSRP. Nice truck. (Airport Orlando)
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windo...RR6NM3JS259509
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #31

Just saw my 1st 2019 Ram Laramie 1500 2 wheel drive. The interior gets an A+. The exterior gets an A+. The back seat now competes with the F-150. The interior is better than the F-150 and current Chevy.

I did not test drive as I got there late. The salesman said it is much more refined.

Now to wait until inventory builds so selection is better. But the 2019 Ram Larimie 3.6 in white would be high on my list.

Note: the cargo carrying capacity is lower than I thought I would see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_185731.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	199672Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_190616.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	199673Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_190043.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	199674
Old 04-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #32

Very Nice...

"EcoDiesel derail moment":
Patriot07 and EcoDiesel shoppers, head for the SC coast, near Hilton Head. This dealer has no less than (21) of the 2017 EcoDiesel 4WD Crew trucks, 19 of them are Laramie, all listed around 13K off MSRP.
https://www.butlerchryslerdodgejeep....5D=2017&page=1
Old 04-20-2018, 05:20 AM   #33

Interesting you mention this. I talked to an eco diesel owner yesterday. I pull in a shopping area, get out of my car and hear the clicking and clacking of an old diesel. I look and it is a Ram. I expect to see a 2005 2500 with the Cummins engine, but instead see a truck that looks smaller. I walk up to the guy and explain I am in the market for a new truck.

He says the Ram eco diesel is the best truck he has ever owned. I did not ask if he ever owned a Ford Eco-Boost..

Holy smokes - a brand new Ram Laramie Eco-diesel for under 40k That is unbelievable to me. I remember someone saying the Eco Diesel was kinda pokey acceleration. This is interesting because I would not say my truck is pokey but rather fast and powerful. The Eco-diesel must be tuned 100% for economy.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #34

I suppose the new Ram design will grow on me, but something is bothering me about it.

Found it, Tundra:
Ok, so maybe that's a stretch, I guess I'm stuck on the original drop-fendered, Kenworth Anteater nose design that was revolutionary back in 1994.

The EcoDiesel certainly would not be peppy, but if they really want to make a deal, you could get a lot of truck for the money. 4WD might come in handy for those beach trips, or the wet grass parking area near the campground, Keyfob in a HD ziploc for the beach.

My pick was this one: (they have two identical twins, sequential VINs) Note, it still harkens back to the original Ram front end, maybe that's it, familiarity.
https://www.butlerchryslerdodgejeep....rr7nm0hs880691

Sticker, check out the details.
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windo...RR7NM0HS880691

Get them to add the wheel to wheel side steps, trailer brake controller, and you're off to the races, (not literally of course-EcoDiesel).

Edit: keywords, RamBox, Fishing...

Cooler:

Tools/Trailer gear:
Old 04-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #35

Agree, it does look Tundra (ish) a little. I am thinking the cats meow will be a white Laramie 3.6 with air suspension and Ram Box for 10gs under MSRP.

If anyone gets a chance to look at the 2019 Ram I would like to know what think.

I am now reading about the eTorque system.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #36

Hopefully my last EcoDiesel distraction. Back in my drag racing days, if you had a 4-bolt main bearing cap engine, you had it made. If you were getting over-the-top serious, you sent your block to the machine shop to modify and install a block girdle, or bedplate for more strength.

EcoDiesel has both already there, along with double overhead camshaft setup in the heads. Pretty slick design. All this thanks to GM discarding a "Caddie" CTS diesel engine project during bankruptcy. Surprised there's not more gear-head excitement about it.

Good writeup here:
An Inside Look At The Ram 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel
Old 04-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
I suppose the new Ram design will grow on me, but something is bothering me about it.

Found it, Tundra:
Ok, so maybe that's a stretch, I guess I'm stuck on the original drop-fendered, Kenworth Anteater nose design that was revolutionary back in 1994.

The EcoDiesel certainly would not be peppy, but if they really want to make a deal, you could get a lot of truck for the money. 4WD might come in handy for those beach trips, or the wet grass parking area near the campground, Keyfob in a HD ziploc for the beach.

My pick was this one: (they have two identical twins, sequential VINs) Note, it still harkens back to the original Ram front end, maybe that's it, familiarity.
https://www.butlerchryslerdodgejeep....rr7nm0hs880691

Sticker, check out the details.
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windo...RR7NM0HS880691

Get them to add the wheel to wheel side steps, trailer brake controller, and you're off to the races, (not literally of course-EcoDiesel).

Edit: keywords, RamBox, Fishing...

Cooler:

Tools/Trailer gear:
Back in 02 my buddy had his big Dodge Cummins and me my little 1500 Silverado. My so called buddy confided in me that his wife said, my Chevy looked like a chicks truck, oh the shame I felt.

Now THANK YOU DODGE, it's payback time! Now it's the new 19 Silverado that has that macho look and Dodge looking like a chicks truck, all dressed up for the Opera. Sorry Dave all in fun, I guess Chrysler could bring back the push button shift I had on my 62 Fury. 😎😎😎😎
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #38

I would not be caught dead in a Miata. But this truck is ok to me. I can see it is more areodynamic which means it spent some time in design.

Dave - I read about the eco-diesel engine. Very impressive. And the 13k off is a great deal. But for me I am tired of diesel. Trying to find a diesel pump is a pain. There is always a car pumping gas at the only diesel pump. A gas station will have 10 pumps but only 1 diesel. Sure I am able to do it, but gas is so much easier.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoorider View Post
Back in 02 my buddy had his big Dodge Cummins and me my little 1500 Silverado. My so called buddy confided in me that his wife said, my Chevy looked like a chicks truck, oh the shame I felt.

Now THANK YOU DODGE, it's payback time! Now it's the new 19 Silverado that has that macho look and Dodge looking like a chicks truck, all dressed up for the Opera. Sorry Dave all in fun, I guess Chrysler could bring back the push button shift I had on my 62 Fury. ��������
Ha Ha! "I tip my hat in the general direction" of cdoorider...anybody who can post with personal experience regarding Chrysler's push button shifter, get's bonus points from me. I guess I've been letting my Mopar show of late.

@tuffr2, you've been there/done that, we're just playing through, and enjoying watching your decision making process.

While we're at it, and for cdoorider's benefit, can we interest you in a deal on a '17 GMC Sierra 1500? (Think of it as a Silverado 5.3L All Star edition, with an optional jacket and tie...). 3.23, brake controller, etc.
https://www.garberautomall.com/inven...p1mec1hg426597
Old 04-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #40

Dave your a great sport, some are offended by my sarcasic humor. After a 40 year working career half in fire stations with a bunch of guys always pranking each other and coping with the things we saw on a daily basis in LA.

Second career as a Trucker working with some pretty opinionated, dare I say foul mothed guys and yes gals, probably left me pretty jaded and not presentable around decent folks.

As for trucks they're all great nowadays, you can hardly make a bad choice. Truth be known, those late 90s and early 2000s Dodge trucks with the Cummins Diesels were the gold standard in pickups IMHO.
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #41

I read that GMC Sierra window sticker. Leaned something. I did not know the Chevy 5.3 litre engine is direct injected. I thought it was just MPFI. I also know the GMC is a tiny step up from Chevy.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #42

I really dislike the GM window sticker format. Hard to tell what it does and doesn't have above stock. For example, This is a sweet setup on a '17 Sierra SLT Crew 2WD with Premium Package, White Frost Pearlcoat.

You have to dig down under the options tab to discover 3.42, locking differential, tubular side steps, 20" wheels, preferred package, leather/heated seats, etc. etc. Wish they had pictures, bet that's a nice looking truck. I can't see a factory brake controller, but it does have the trailering package. That 5.3L, 6-speed, and 3.42 should wake it up pretty good. Wonder how much better they would do than advertised?
https://www.jackwilsonbuick.com/Vehi...-FL/3110085373

Edit: "WOOF"... Daytona Beach, New 2017 LTZ 2WD 6.2L, 8-speed High Desert, Sunroof, brake controller.
https://www.jonhallchevrolet.com/f_W...w_sticker'

Tags
chevy