Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #1

2201DS Minnie Winnie

Well, it's about time to replace our 2002 Sunline Solaris TR-280, and we're looking to downsize a bit. The 2201DS Minnie Winnie looks as though it may be on our short list, although we haven't examined one yet. I'd love to hear from any forum members that own this model re quality, features, problems, etc.
Thanks so much!
Steve
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #2

we just ordered a 2101ds

I think Winnebago has one of the best looking TT out there. We did extensive research, went to two RV shows, went to many many Rv dealers and when all was said and done we ordered a 2101 DS Winnegabo Minnie with Cherry exterior and onyx interior. The couch is the softest one we sat on in any TT we looked at. It has really nice fit and finish. the shower is big enough to turn around in. It has good storage and the price was good. Some things we will change such as adding LED lights and we ordered a black tank flush on ours, Can't wait for it to get here! Hopefully in time for my birthday as we have a camping outing planned for that. We may end up taking our old motorhome if the new TT is not in yet. One of the things I liked about it was the 2 steps up into it and the fact that it did not bounce when walkng around in it, even though the stabilizers were not deployed.
bandsmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Did you also get the enclosed undercarriage? If we buy one, I would also like to get the black tank flush as well as the enclosed undercarriage. We're camping tonight and headed to the trailer dealer tomorrow to check out the Winnies. I'd also like to find out if they are making any changes in the 2015 models. And...purchase or order one this winter.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #4

winnebago minnie

Yes we ordered it with all the options which includes the enclosed underbelly. It has ducted heating into it so something I wanted as we live in the Pacific Northwest. The blank tank flush is an option that was supposedly added to the 2014 model but the web site does not show this. I would ask if I was you. Look at the Sunnybrook Remington web site at the options available for the 2100 ds and ask for options from that to be added to the Winnebago Minnie. Made by the same people, same floor plan etc. That is how I got the black tank flush added to mine. I figured if they had the capacity to add to the remington it would not be a far stretch to add to the Minnie. I don't know what they will add to the 2015 model but it never hurts to ask for what you want. As long as you are willing to pay all they can do is say yes or no so you are not out anything by asking. There are several people on this forum that already own Minnie's and they seem pretty happy with them.
bandsmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. And, I actually should have said that we're waiting to see what's offered on the 2014 models. We went to a dealership yesterday, and they expect an order of three 2201 models in sometime in August and we'll get a call when they arrive. Since we live near Cleveland, the enclosed underbelly is something I'd want for when we're heading south during the winter, and it also just helps protect the undercarriage.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
We have looked at the 2201DS (on their website) and are considering it, but not for another year and a half. What size truck would you need to safely tow this unit? Could it be done with a half ton?

We have always had motorhomes (four of them) and are seriously thinking of downsizing to a towable.

Thanks.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:01 AM   #7

With a GVWR of 7,620 lbs., it's towable with a 1/2 ton truck. The dry weight is listed as 4820....so I figure it's really going to be around 5,000 lbs. If we're careful with what we pack for gear, I think we can end up towing less than 6,500 lbs. which will be a snap for my Tundra (5.7) which is rated for 10k towing lbs, although I wouldn't want to pull more than what we do now which is around 8K. We're retired, so it's just my wife and me. And after all these years in our Sunline, we have a pretty good idea of what gear we need, and what stuff has been aboard for years that doesn't get used.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:11 AM   #8

For a trailer with total length of 26'9", the 2201DS appears to have great storage for clothing and gear for longer trips, and that's one of the reasons we're anxious to see one. We've looked at quite a few other units with similiar floor plans, but haven't seen any that has a nice bathroom (shower in particular) with a large wardrobe and cabinets for linens, etc. I also appreciate that they put nice long awnings on the Winnies....something that Jayco (in spite of their 2 year warranty) is skimping on. I don't understand why they're putting awnings that are 2-3 feet shorter than they need to be unless it's their way to cut cost and/or weight.

Another interesting alternative is a unit by Evergreen:
2013 - EverGreen - i-Go Lite - G236RBK - Travel Trailer - Medina, OH - Avalon
I've looked at that unit...love the outside kitchen, but the dinette is a little narrow although a deeper slideout that the Winnie. The quality of construction seemed to be pretty good, but again, I want to compare it to the Winnie.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #9

2451 Minnie Winnie

We bought a 2013 2400 model a few weeks ago, never used or titled, just in RV shows. Same as the 2200 but it has a small bathroom and bunkbeds. We're pulling it with a Ford Expedition V-8 and it pulls it just fine. We have a little sway at 70 mph but its fine at 65. The dealer put an EZlift hitch on it with one frictional sway bar. We have since added a second sway bar. I think a Reese or a Curt might have been a better choice.

We can't decide whether passing trucks push us more with the fresh water tank empty or less when its full (300 lbs over the wheels).

Things to look for - Check the formica tops and edges for bulges, particularly the dining table. This is a sign that the particle board underneath was water damaged before laminating. We have one in our dining table and we're busy bugging the dealer for a new top (CampingWorld). This is easier to do before you take delivery.

The interior lights are VERY bright (we have the incandescent ones). We pulled one bulb in each unit and it's a little better. I'm looking into dimmers I can add. Another skylight in the kitchen would have been nice so you would have some light or a bigger window (get rid of the useless stove hood as it just blows the stuff into your face it doesn't vent outside).

The bottom half of the bed lifts up on two airlifts to access the storage under neath. These lifts are very strong and only held up by a 1x2. One side of ours broke. We replaced the 1x2 and added a 1x2 brace from the floor to just under the lift connection on both sides. Winnebago should have done that to start with.

We really love the MInnie (we bought the bright yellow one). It's a great layout with tremendous storage.
tunafish is offline   Reply With Quote