Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #15

Wow. I'm completely baffled. I'm going to forward this link to my daughter and have her partner take a look at it. She's an electrician in the Navy and no doubt speaks this language. Thanks so much all of you who took the time to lend a hand.
littlesonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2018, 04:57 AM   #16

Are you sure your wife will need the AC in Maryland at night? Just asking...if she only needs the fan for the noise, you can get that by plugging into a 110V outlet in the garage with an adapter to your RV cable. If she needs the AC for the cooling, then you still have all the same problems listed below, and my $.02 would be to get an electrician to add an RV outlet next to the fuse box in the garage. Anything else is a risky, jerry-rigged solution.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:32 AM   #17

It would hardly be worth the expense to have a plug hooked up. Trying to jerry rig something could be dangerous. Why not just plug it in to 15 amp. It will surely run one AC unit. Done deal.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:41 AM   #18

Dear "Baffled"........sounds like dad needs to get out of the way and let his daughter handle this [smile]. She likely has the necessary credentials to do the appropriate research, then determine what needs to be done and how best to do it. Happy Father's Day!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Tomato-tomato. Got a suggestion to the OP's question or just showing off?
Not showing off, just correcting some wrong information. And my suggestion to the OP is that if you are not familiar with electrical circuits and wiring configurations to wire something up correctly, hire a qualified Electrician that Does know what he or she is doing.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
3rd correction there is such a monster as a 2 phase electric service, and it is still used in some areas. Center city Philadelphia is one I know of.

Here, I found a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-phase_electric_power
Ok, but those were used in a power distribution system, which is much different than a residential service.....which is what we are discussing in this thread. No One that owns a camper needs to know or is concerned with the power distribution end of it. The end service to the power pole is what we are talking about.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Ok, but those were used in a power distribution system, which is much different than a residential service.....which is what we are discussing in this thread. No One that owns a camper needs to know or is concerned with the power distribution end of it. The end service to the power pole is what we are talking about.
Sorry, forth correction. it is also in residential buildings. I learned the hard way after telling a friend there was no such thing, and the seller of a milling machine was mistaken, and what ever it is, we can get it to work with his 3 phase home shop. After a few days of dismantling it, to get it out of the gentleman's basement, and several more assembling it, we found out I was wrong. This was back before Google, or the internet, so it took us months to research it, and find out what was needed. In his case, and special transformer, or a new motor. He ended up selling the machine for a loss, and buying another. Back then, they said it was in about 5 or 6 bigger cities across the country.

You are real close to right in saying that many with travel trailers do not need to know, but remember many of those also buy used power tools, and other electrical equipment, and might need to know that there is such a thing, so saying there is not, might put someone else in the same boat I put my friend.

Remember, even old dogs can learn new tricks.

I'll stop hijacking this thread. Just thought this was something many folks could learn something from.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:09 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Never heard of 2 phase, but a lot of old residential and most comerical power is 3 phase. Newer residential is single phase.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
It would hardly be worth the expense to have a plug hooked up. Trying to jerry rig something could be dangerous. Why not just plug it in to 15 amp. It will surely run one AC unit. Done deal.

^^^^ This ^^^^

I run my TT on 15 amps all the time. I suppose BTUs of air will matter. Its not like you can't test it at home before you leave. Of course this will not be a perfect test as the load on line may differ significantly between yours and DDs.
ohiost90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #24

Sent this thread to my daughter. Her partner is an electrician in the Navy. They're going to hang a new outlet just for little ol' me....and the Mrs. They asked if I wanted 30amp or 50amp. I know 30amp is my minimum but I when we kept tripping circuit breakers when running the microwave and A/C at the same time a RV park owner loaned is a 30a/50a dog bone and we were good to go. He told us it would be a good idea to get one and plug into 50amp wherever available. I've got one but have not had occasion to use it since. Told this to my kid and told them to decide. I'm good either way. I'm quite happy they decided to do that. She's got a great place complete with pool. We plan to travel up there at least once a year in the future and stay for longer than the few days we have time for this year. Maryland in the summer is a much nicer proposition than Central Texas, I can tell you.

BTW, my daughter has been going without A/C in her house while she gets her system replaced and she's been fine but my wife runs our A/C here in Texas like it's supplying a meat locker. We play thermostat tennis as I try to keep the electric bill down but I've given up. Happy wife. Happy Life.
littlesonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes. If. The dryer outlet is 4 wire. Then it has two 120v circuits available. If 3 wire its only 240v available.

We mooch dock and operate one air conditioner on a 15/20a receptacle. Use a heavy gauge extension cord.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #26

A genuine 20 amp circuit, (meaning 12 gauge wire and 20 amp breaker) will easily run the AC and power converter, charge your phones, etc. My 30 amp motorhome sits in my shop, plugged into a 12 gauge extension cord and one of the 20 amp receptacles, and a harbor freight dogbone, and I sometimes run the air and have no problems doing so.

Just buy a 12 gauge extension cord to reach if the shore power cord is not long enough, and a dogbone 15a/30a adapter.

Charles