Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2022, 08:28 AM   #1

30 amperes exterior outlet not working

Hello everybody,

I need your help. 2 days ago, my travel trailer was connected at an electric 30 amp pedestal with my 30 amp rear exterior outlet. It works well but suddenly my surge protector cut off the power. After my investigations, all my appliances, my interior outlets and 30 amp exterior front outlet worked well except my rear 30 amp outlet. Since 2 days, I change for a new campground, all works well except my 30 amp exterior outlet.

So, how to fix my 30 amp exterior outlet? Do I change the 30 amp fuse situated on the A frame?

Thank you in advance to help me.
payan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2022, 08:41 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
So you have 2, 30 amp inputs to your RV?
Come that way from the factory?
Does one work and the other not working?
Do you know if they are individually fused?
Old 07-01-2022, 08:41 AM   #3

Ok ; your RV operates on 120 volts, your power supply from the park has a 30 amp load limit for all your appliances and outlets that is distributed through the RV's interior 120 volt , circuit breaker panel .
If all your appliances and other outlets are functioning ; except the exterior 120 volt outlet ( most likely controlled by a 15 amp circuit breaker in the panel ) .
First thing to do is find the 120 volt distribution panel and make sure none of the circuit breakers are tripped ( by turning them off and back on ) .
If you still have no power to the outside outlet , and the outlet isn't a GFCI that needs to be reset , then you have to look inside the RV for a GFCI that needs to be reset ; most likely in the bathroom or kitchen.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GFIC info.pdf (257.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-01-2022, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by payan View Post
So, how to fix my 30 amp exterior outlet? Do I change the 30 amp fuse situated on the A frame?
The 30 amp fuse on the trailer tongue , is for your 12 volt circuits ; power supplied from the battery ; and isn't involved in 120 volt distribution.

If the info in the posts so far isn't helpful , were going to need pictures of the outlet you're having trouble with .
Old 07-01-2022, 09:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Hello everybody,

I need your help. 2 days ago, my travel trailer was connected at an electric 30 amp pedestal with my 30 amp rear exterior outlet. It works well but suddenly my surge protector cut off the power. After my investigations, all my appliances, my interior outlets and 30 amp exterior front outlet worked well except my rear 30 amp outlet. Since 2 days, I change for a new campground, all works well except my 30 amp exterior outlet.

Thank you in advance to help me.
We need more info, what is the trailer? Airstream? Are you referring to inlets or outlets? Is this a Smartplug?
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:19 AM   #6

I have a 2013 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 RB. I reset my GFCI. All is correct except for the rear 30 amp exterior inlet.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
I have a 2013 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 RB. I reset my GFCI. All is correct except for the rear 30 amp exterior inlet.
OK with the Airstream inlets there is a history of the connections on the back of the inlet getting hot and deteriorating, you have to remove the inlet to get at the back of it.
If the connections are OK the next issue is the isolation or transfer switch which automatically switches back and forth depending on which inlet you decide to use, it could have failed.
I see you are a member at Airforums, there are many folks there who understand this system and will eventually get you the help you need.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question, I'm confused as per normal....

Does his model of Airstream have two 30 amp inputs?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:34 PM   #9

Yes , 2 30 amp inlets. Only, one works
Old 07-01-2022, 01:46 PM   #10

They have one on the rear as required by code, and another one up front (it was an option, possibly standard now) so you can have a generator in your truck bed and not need such a long cord.

There is an automatic transfer switch somewhere. It is designed to prevent the exposed prongs of the unused inlet from shocking someone. It accepts power from the inlet you hook the cord to, and separates the other inlet completely so it is not accidentally hot.

As noted, you could have a wiring issue with the inlet that will not accept shore power, or the automatic transfer switch is not working for some reason.

Charles
Old 07-01-2022, 01:59 PM   #11

The Two 30A Receptacles are wired to an Auto Transfer Switch
ATS selects which Power Source to send AC to your Main AC Panel

As you were using the Rear Receptacle the ATS contacts/relay for that power source are bad
OR the Rear receptacle is bad.

Need to pull the rear receptacle out and check the wiring/connections
Need to open the ATS and check the wiring/contacts-relays for the rear receptacle
ONE of them has failed..

***I have dual 50A receptacles front/rear on my 5th wheel
ATS failed/New ATS was bad out of the box......Parallex admitted issues with the ATS

I removed the ATS....installed a 125A subpanel with dual mechanically interlocking sets of 50A circuit breakers
One set for front/one set for rear -----flip one set ON other set mechanically trips so both can not be energized as same time

Simple...
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:00 AM   #12

Thank you everyone. Sorry for the delay. I am presently in vacation in Newfoundland and Labrador. There are few spots for phone and internet. I will check for connections and transfert switch.

Again thank you